Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

The dust has settled - which hotel credit card is now king?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The dust has settled - which hotel credit card is now king?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2014, 8:43 pm

ITs my first time at this forum, posted it at the wrong place
Old May 19, 2014, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
it is against the rules to post the same thing twice. I have flagged for moderators. Use the search function and youll see there are threads dedicated to discussing the plusses and minuses of each card.
Originally Posted by Gamecock
Take a close look at the SPG AMEX card.

Great redemption rates in Asia. 5000 mile bonus on 20,000 mile airline transfers for most carriers.

Usually during the summer they offer a good deal for first time holders. Also if you refer a SO or friend you get a 5000 point bonus, up to 60,000 points.
I have the SPG, and i love it
Old May 19, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Mosaic
Originally Posted by healthnut
US Bank Club Carlson has a strong sign-up bonus plus great redemption opportunities with stay 2 award nights, and get the third for free.
It is actually...stay 2 nights get the second free. Total 2 nights but only use 1 night's worth of points.

SPG highest cpm by far.
Hyatt
Club Carlson and IHG next.
Marriott bottom of the barrel.

I've never stayed at a hilton.

All cards worth getting and renewing except SPG which isn't worth renewing bc it doesn't come with anniversary nights or points like the others.
Old May 19, 2014, 10:07 pm

IHG is a go. 80k points to signup, Platinum Elite Status (highest) and 1 free night every year at any property. Well worth the $49 in year 2.
Old May 19, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Hotel CC Worth it???

So are points from CCs worth it for hotels, depends, how you play the game, and your travel plans.

We do Hilton and Marriott and think they're worth.

Last edited by mike2200; May 20, 2014 at 1:38 pm
Old May 20, 2014, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by RyanNYNJ
It is actually...stay 2 nights get the second free. Total 2 nights but only use 1 night's worth of points.

SPG highest cpm by far.
Hyatt
Club Carlson and IHG next.
Marriott bottom of the barrel.

I've never stayed at a hilton.

All cards worth getting and renewing except SPG which isn't worth renewing bc it doesn't come with anniversary nights or points like the others.
RyanNYNJ - why is the SPG not worth renewing? If I spend money on SPG rooms I get great bonus when I pay for the room with the card???
Old May 20, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by binnycode
IHG is a go. 80k points to signup, Platinum Elite Status (highest) and 1 free night every year at any property. Well worth the $49 in year 2.
+1. The upgrades alone are worth it. Also as a Plat you often get freebies like snack bags, 500 points and even free breakfasts at hotels which do not offer free breakfasts.
Old May 20, 2014, 10:21 am

SPG is king. Its even worth buying their points when they offer discounts.
Old May 20, 2014, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Malnosliw
Hi all,

I am new to the site, just want to know all these HOtel CC, are they really worth it?

Chase Marriott Preimer
US Bank Club Carlson
Chase IHG
Citi HHonors

the reason is award chart is high for certain hotels, and you need a large amount of points for 1 night, makes it not worth it overall.

Is there any hidden perks or secrets about these cards
I don't know if they're "secrets" about these cards, but in case you haven't done the math, two of those cards have a "net negative" annual fee in years 2 and beyond:

THe Chase Marriott Premier charges $85/year after the first year, but gives a cat 1-5 free night certificate (good for half a year but usually extendable for another half a year) in return.

The Chase IHG charges $49/year after the first year, but gives an uncapped free night certificate (good for a year) in return.

(That's what you get in years 2 and beyond; in year 1 you get the advertised signup bonus stuff, and in year 1 the annual fee is typically waived.)

A both cards have 0% foreign transaction fees (FTF). So both might good cards to keep, whether you use them only at those hotels plus overseas or whatever.

... The Citi HHonors 50k can be churned "often" (several times a year). It'w worth it if you're going to churn it, it's probably not worth it if you're going to get it just once and stop. (Keep in mind, this is the only hotel program where it's so easy to earn tons of points by churning a single card.) Also, HHonors is the one program where you can get very meaningful status (Gold gives you free breakfast and free internet) just for having a credit card (but it's a different card, either the $75 Amex HHonors Surpass or the $95/year Citi HHonors Reserve). However, you need to be staying at HHonors brands that charge for breakfast and/or internet enough nights a year for it to be worth it to pay for the status. (At a full-service Hilton it might pay for itself after just a few nights, at a Hilton Garden Inn it will take more nights, and at a Hampton Iinn it hardly makes any difference at all.)
Old May 20, 2014, 11:38 am

For the frequent traveler at any of these chains, it’s a no-brainer to earn a greater number of points on your spend. You need to do the math though to see if you’re spending enough. For those holding a card mainly to earn points from everyday spend and have the benefits for the occasional cash or award stay here are my thoughts:

Signup Bonus Rating (1-5 with 5 being highest) and takes into account first year fee/credit pull:
- Hyatt (two free nights) - 5
- Fairmont (two free nights) - 5
- Club Carlson (85k points which is almost 100k after min spend met) - 4
- Hilton Reserve (two free weekend nights) - 4
- Marriott Rewards Premier (one free night cat 1-4, 50/70k points) - 3.5
- IHG card (60/80k points) - 3/3.5
- SPG cards (25/30k points) - 3
- Hilton Surpass/free Amex Hilton/free Citi Hilton - 2
- Ritz Carlton (70k points, gold for first year) - 2

For ongoing benefits:
- Club Carlson (last night free on awards 2 nights+, 40k points, gold status, $85 fee) - 5
- IHG (free night anywhere, platinum status, $49 fee) - 4.5
- Hyatt (free annual night 1-4 category, platinum status, fee $75) - 4
- Fairmont (free night anywhere with $12k in purchases, $95 fee) - 3
- Hilton Reserve (weekend night anywhere with $10k in purchases, gold status, $95 fee) - 3
- Marriott Premier (free 1-5 cat night, 15 nights towards elite status/silver comp, $85 fee) - 2.5
- Ritz Carlton - ($200 airline fee reimbursement, $100 hotel credit on 2+ nt stays, 3 club upgrades, $395 fee) - 2.5
- Hilton Surpass (comp gold status, $75 fee) - 2
- SPG (ability to transfer to airlines, elite credits) - 2
- free Hilton cards (nothing but ability to earn towards status, $0) - 1
Old May 20, 2014, 1:03 pm

I basically agree with terpfan (although I'd put the marriott free night above the $ spend ones).
The one thing missing from that is ongoing spending, and only two of them are really worth anything for spending after getting the bonus:
SPG Amex - 1x SPG = 1.25x airline miles
Club Carlson Visa - 5x Club Carlson Points

Both of them are only useful for categories where you can't otherwise get a bonus. SPG because it beats out just using say, an AA or Delta credit card for airline miles because the SPG gets 1.25mi/$ if you transfer in 20k increments. Club Carlson because 5x is a decent return if you actually stay at Carlson properties and do it 2 nights at a time.

Edit to add: The others are garbage for ongoing because you don't get enough points/$, ie 1 IHG/$ = $.007, better off with cash back. Except the Hyatt, that is because Chase UR earning cards are better for earning Hyatt points (flexibility, more bonus categories)
Old May 20, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SPG, UR, IHG, HH, BA, CC
Originally Posted by binnycode
+1. The free night for $49 is a steal basically ANYWHERE.
Old May 20, 2014, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I don't know if they're "secrets" about these cards, but in case you haven't done the math, two of those cards have a "net negative" annual fee in years 2 and beyond:

THe Chase Marriott Premier charges $85/year after the first year, but gives a cat 1-5 free night certificate (good for half a year but usually extendable for another half a year) in return.

The Chase IHG charges $49/year after the first year, but gives an uncapped free night certificate (good for a year) in return.

(That's what you get in years 2 and beyond; in year 1 you get the advertised signup bonus stuff, and in year 1 the annual fee is typically waived.)

A both cards have 0% foreign transaction fees (FTF). So both might good cards to keep, whether you use them only at those hotels plus overseas or whatever.

... The Citi HHonors 50k can be churned "often" (several times a year). It'w worth it if you're going to churn it, it's probably not worth it if you're going to get it just once and stop. (Keep in mind, this is the only hotel program where it's so easy to earn tons of points by churning a single card.) Also, HHonors is the one program where you can get very meaningful status (Gold gives you free breakfast and free internet) just for having a credit card (but it's a different card, either the $75 Amex HHonors Surpass or the $95/year Citi HHonors Reserve). However, you need to be staying at HHonors brands that charge for breakfast and/or internet enough nights a year for it to be worth it to pay for the status. (At a full-service Hilton it might pay for itself after just a few nights, at a Hilton Garden Inn it will take more nights, and at a Hampton Iinn it hardly makes any difference at all.)
I totally agree with you, with the CIti Honors, cuz the exchange or reward chart just way to high and daily spending just not worth it to keep
Old May 20, 2014, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by terpfan101
For the frequent traveler at any of these chains, it’s a no-brainer to earn a greater number of points on your spend. You need to do the math though to see if you’re spending enough. For those holding a card mainly to earn points from everyday spend and have the benefits for the occasional cash or award stay here are my thoughts:

Signup Bonus Rating (1-5 with 5 being highest) and takes into account first year fee/credit pull:
- Hyatt (two free nights) - 5
- Fairmont (two free nights) - 5
- Club Carlson (85k points which is almost 100k after min spend met) - 4
- Hilton Reserve (two free weekend nights) - 4
- Marriott Rewards Premier (one free night cat 1-4, 50/70k points) - 3.5
- IHG card (60/80k points) - 3/3.5
- SPG cards (25/30k points) - 3
- Hilton Surpass/free Amex Hilton/free Citi Hilton - 2
- Ritz Carlton (70k points, gold for first year) - 2

For ongoing benefits:
- Club Carlson (last night free on awards 2 nights+, 40k points, gold status, $85 fee) - 5
- IHG (free night anywhere, platinum status, $49 fee) - 4.5
- Hyatt (free annual night 1-4 category, platinum status, fee $75) - 4
- Fairmont (free night anywhere with $12k in purchases, $95 fee) - 3
- Hilton Reserve (weekend night anywhere with $10k in purchases, gold status, $95 fee) - 3
- Marriott Premier (free 1-5 cat night, 15 nights towards elite status/silver comp, $85 fee) - 2.5
- Ritz Carlton - ($200 airline fee reimbursement, $100 hotel credit on 2+ nt stays, 3 club upgrades, $395 fee) - 2.5
- Hilton Surpass (comp gold status, $75 fee) - 2
- SPG (ability to transfer to airlines, elite credits) - 2
- free Hilton cards (nothing but ability to earn towards status, $0) - 1

I hear what you are saying and I agree with you, there are only certain cards that i keep and pay for the AF:

Chase CSP
AMEX SPG
Barclay Arrival Plus <----- now

these hotel reward chart, makes Airline miles more valuable, what I mean is that worst case, you can use Airbnb, but you can use miles to redeem for flights
Old May 20, 2014, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by jacobsta811
I basically agree with terpfan (although I'd put the marriott free night above the $ spend ones).
The one thing missing from that is ongoing spending, and only two of them are really worth anything for spending after getting the bonus:
SPG Amex - 1x SPG = 1.25x airline miles
Club Carlson Visa - 5x Club Carlson Points

Both of them are only useful for categories where you can't otherwise get a bonus. SPG because it beats out just using say, an AA or Delta credit card for airline miles because the SPG gets 1.25mi/$ if you transfer in 20k increments. Club Carlson because 5x is a decent return if you actually stay at Carlson properties and do it 2 nights at a time.

Edit to add: The others are garbage for ongoing because you don't get enough points/$, ie 1 IHG/$ = $.007, better off with cash back. Except the Hyatt, that is because Chase UR earning cards are better for earning Hyatt points (flexibility, more bonus categories)
The reason why I had the Fairmont & Hilton Reserve as better than Marriott are primarily because when looking only at the free night, Marriott's is good in only 5 of 9 categories. I personally think most of the hotels I'd stay at are in those upper categories (6-9) and thus I'd rather spend a bit to get the free night there (along with points). However considering you could earn 2% back on that 10/12k spend, that's a substantial difference so perhaps the Marriott card should be higher.

For ongoing non hotel spend, agreed only the Club Carlson (a little over 2% but with 2nd night free) and to a lesser extent SPG cards are worth using. Hilton 6x is crap as 6x is about 2% cash, if not slightly less. Hyatt's worth using on the restaurant spend if you don't have a CSP, otherwise not really worthwhile either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.