Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Truist (fka Suntrust) Skymiles Check Card [see WIKI for offers]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Please don't delete this Wiki.
Some of us still earn Delta miles with this card or may want information about past or grandfathered terms and conditions.

Please do not spread panic about miles not posting until after the 10th of each month.
In most cases, miles post in the evening on the 5th of each month if it's a business day, or else the evening of the next business day. "Miles post for purchases made between (inclusive) 5th day of prior month to 4th day of current month."
__________________________________________________ ____________

Current offer (as of March 2017) is for just 5,000 miles.
https://www.suntrust.com/personal-ba...les-debit-card

Most current 25,000 offer was in-branch only, through May 9, 2016:
INTRODUCING YOUR NEW EVERYDAY GETAWAY CARD: THE SKYMILES® DEBIT CARD.
Ready for a one-of-a-kind debit card that actually rewards you? Here's one that deposits miles directly into your SkyMiles account. You can earn up to 25,000 bonus miles with the SkyMiles World Debit Card from SunTrust. What's more, when you use your Card for everyday purchases, the miles add up quickly — and they'll never expire.

Here's how it works:
• Present this email at your nearest branch, or call 1-800-650-7277 and mention this offer.
• Get 5,000 bonus miles when you open or upgrade to a new qualifying SunTrust Signature Advantage Checking account with a Delta SkyMiles Debit Card and make your first qualifying purchase. If you already have a Signature Advantage Checking account, ask to upgrade your debit card to a Delta SkyMiles Debit Card.
• Get an additional 20,000 promotional bonus miles when you make 20 qualifying purchases within the first 90 days of account opening.
Continue to earn miles just for using your Card:
• Earn 1 mile for every dollar spent on everyday purchases like groceries, gas and restaurant purchases.1 (up to 4,000 per Card monthly)
• Earn 2 miles per dollar on all direct Delta purchases including flights, Delta Sky Club® passes, in-flight purchases of food and beverages and more.1
• Apply your miles toward upgrades and Award Travel to more than 1,000 destinations worldwide2 on Delta and its partner airlines.
• $75 Annual Fee (reduced fee may apply, ask for details).1
Hurry — this incredible 25,000 bonus mile offer is only available until May 9, 2016.
VISIT YOUR LOCAL BRANCH
    __________________________________________________ _____________

History of Recent Past Offers:

Changes as of 7/25/15 :
    Balanced Banking (no longer available): 95a/f, 1mile/$2 up to 2000 miles, $3000 daily collected balance to avoid monthly fee

Signature Advantage: $75a/f, 1mile/$1 up to 4000 miles, $25000 daily collected balance to avoid monthly fee

Solid Choice: $95a/f, 2m/$1 up to 2000 miles, $5000 daily collected balance to avoid monthly fee
    SunTrust has a list of items that aren't supposed to earn miles, but some do anyway: cash advances, cash back, ATM transactions, tax payments, payments for stored value cards, wire transfers, money transfers, money orders, cashier checks, quasi cash, travelers cheques, purchase of monetary instruments

-----------------------------------------------------------
    If SunTrust closed your account, it would be great if you could share a little info about the account history.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Print Wikipost

Truist (fka Suntrust) Skymiles Check Card [see WIKI for offers]

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by junglesmacks
    Read again. There are specific banking codes attached to the type of deposit that happens. A simple ACH money transfer is not the same as a payroll deposit or the others listed. It isn't a human that is doing the auditing, that is correct. It's the automatic code.. which the PayPal transfer does not have.. that triggers the system.

..or don't believe me and keep waiting for the miles

Easy there... I'm not saying you aren't right. My point is that there's no harm in doing the Paypal Transfer while waiting to see what shakes out with the miles. AFAIK no one has seen any miles from this promo yet, so why not try all the different options available? Many Many times people worry and fret over promos and miles and then at the end of the day their worries are for nothing. I usually fall in the optimistic side.

For example: It has been documented here that there is a different routing number for direct deposit than the routing number on our checks. This alone could be enough to trigger a "DD" flag. We just don't have enough information on what has worked yet. Saying that paypal won't work isn't a sure thing yet--just another theory.

Edit: we're on the same thought process. Some more info on SEC : http://www.achfederal.com/wp-content...SEC-Codes2.pdf Read up on the different ACH codes. They MAY want the DD to come in with a PPD code, which is the usual code for a DD. However we just need to find any ACH that codes theirs as a PPD. If paypal does, then it should work.

There is a page on this paypal ACH Payment guide that talks about ACH and PPD with paypal.

Maybe someone else knows whether Paypal always ACH's with a PPD code. It may not even matter--the fact that DD has a separate routing number might trigger the DD.

Last edited by Stubtify; May 23, 2012 at 1:42 pm
    Old May 23, 2012, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Stubtify
    For example: It has been documented here that there is a different routing number for direct deposit than the routing number on our checks. This alone could be enough to trigger a "DD" flag. We just don't have enough information on what has worked yet. Saying that paypal won't work isn't a sure thing yet--just another theory.
    You're right.. that alternate routing number is very strange indeed. I can't wait to see if this works. Hopefully, I can hit it by the time the new cycle comes out at the end of the month.
    Old May 23, 2012, 2:35 pm

My point is that there's no harm in doing the Paypal Transfer while waiting to see what shakes out with the miles. AFAIK no one has seen any miles from this promo yet, so why not try all the different options available? Many Many times people worry and fret over promos and miles and then at the end of the day their worries are for nothing. I usually fall in the optimistic side.

Maybe someone else knows whether Paypal always ACH's with a PPD code. It may not even matter--the fact that DD has a separate routing number might trigger the DD.
    Stubtify, you're right. My checks in my ST checkbook have routing # that is different than the DD routing number, BUT, take my word for it and PM me if you must, this takes a leap of faith.
    Old May 23, 2012, 2:54 pm

Edit: we're on the same thought process. Some more info on SEC : http://www.achfederal.com/wp-content...SEC-Codes2.pdf Read up on the different ACH codes. They MAY want the DD to come in with a PPD code, which is the usual code for a DD. However we just need to find any ACH that codes theirs as a PPD. If paypal does, then it should work.

There is a page on this paypal ACH Payment guide that talks about ACH and PPD with paypal.

AH HA! Very, very nice find. That's what we need right there. I'm assuming that a PPD code is exactly the code that ST is looking for, and especially when you read the SEC's description of what PPD covers - "can represent a variety of products such as payroll, interest, dividends, etc."

That being said, I don't believe that PayPal defaults at all to a PPD transaction. I'm going through the guide that you posted and while I do see mention on page 17 of PPD transactions, I don't see how to actually create them.

We need to do more research on this. We're getting closer. +5 internet points for the find!

EDIT: It looks like you need to successfully register with PayPal Manager/Payflow for this, and then you may be able to successfully change the type of transaction: https://manager.paypal.com/

The cost isn't cheap. $249 setup fee and then $59.95/month after. Looks like we've hit a dead end unless you feel like paying that much. Intuit Payroll with a free 30 day trial and/or $20/month is a much better deal could be a solid workaround. I'm in process with them now.

Hopefully the routing number change can do something as well..

Last edited by junglesmacks; May 23, 2012 at 3:03 pm
    Old May 23, 2012, 7:49 pm

Looks like Intuit has a cheaper option http://payroll.intuit.com/payroll_se...ld_payroll.jsp
    Old May 24, 2012, 4:48 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
    Hopefully the routing number change can do something as well.
    No, it won't. I have banked with SunTrust for 25 years. The alternate routing number is used for ALL deposits and ACH credits, not just payroll direct deposits. The regular routing number is using for ALL checks and ACH debits. It's that simple. Without the PPD tag, your direct deposit won't count as a payroll deposit. SunTrust wants LONG-TERM customers and they have found payroll deposits do the trick. But go ahead and try - you have nothing to lose except wasted time.
    Old May 24, 2012, 4:56 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
    Originally Posted by Schutzee
    Looks like Intuit has a cheaper option http://payroll.intuit.com/payroll_se...ld_payroll.jsp
    NOT a good idea! This program is for household employees, like maids and nannies. The software automatically withholds income and social security and Medicare taxes. You can prevent income tax withholding but not withholding of social security and Medicare taxes. And it also generates W-2s.

It's simply amazing the lengths some people will go to get 30,000 SkyPesos.
    Old May 24, 2012, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by DCBob
    NOT a good idea! This program is for household employees, like maids and nannies. The software automatically withholds income and social security and Medicare taxes. You can prevent income tax withholding but not withholding of social security and Medicare taxes. And it also generates W-2s.

It's simply amazing the lengths some people will go to get 30,000 SkyPesos.
    Intuit is just software. Any "witholdings" and W2s are theoretical. It does NOT report to any government agency unless you specifically program it to do so. I have used Intuit payroll for my business for many years.

There are many deals that require DD, not just this one.
    Old May 24, 2012, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Schutzee
    Intuit is just software. Any "witholdings" and W2s are theoretical. It does NOT report to any government agency unless you specifically program it to do so. I have used Intuit payroll for my business for many years.

There are many deals that require DD, not just this one.

You beat me to it.. and.. yeah, exactly. Intuit is trying to "simplify" your life but it's by no means taking control. Give it the illusion of helping you while you use it for what you need it to do

It's also much more than 30k SkyPesos. It's $75 x 30k x as many people as you feel like opening up a joint account with....
    Old May 24, 2012, 6:12 am

Programs: Several dozen
    Nice to find a bank that really wants our kind LONG-TERM. After the mint we were all feeling so unloved. Wait a second, is that the SunTrust officers running back to the bank pulling up the drawbridge, manning the walls, locking the doors and hiding the women and children.

SunTrust wants LONG-TERM customers and they have found payroll deposits do the trick.
    Old May 24, 2012, 6:15 am

It's also much more than 30k SkyPesos. It's $75 x 30k x as many people as you feel like opening up a joint account with....
    Unless SunTrust decides to close those accounts, which wouldn't surprise me. And how do you arrive at $75 x 30K? $75 x 30K = $2,250,000. That makes no sense.
    Old May 24, 2012, 6:36 am

Unless SunTrust decides to close those accounts, which wouldn't surprise me. And how do you arrive at $75 x 30K? $75 x 30K = $2,250,000. That makes no sense.

You knew what I was trying to say

Let me rephrase. $75 for 30k miles x as many people as you would like to open up joint accounts with.

I have (EDITED: a few more than just one) so far and counting. Zero issues.

However.. I have been an existing SunTust business and personal account holder for years now and am able to go into my local branch where they know me well and give me the knowing smile after the 22 business card signers that I had for the 2010 promo. I'm not sure how well this would fly trying to do this online/out of state.

..and REALLY! All these people doing all these things.. JUST to get frequent flier miles. The lunacy of it all. I tell you. You people are just crazy..

*ZOOOOOOOOOOM* goes the plane to Hawaii for the 5th time in 2 years..

Last edited by junglesmacks; May 24, 2012 at 7:18 am
    Old May 24, 2012, 9:12 am

You knew what I was trying to say

Let me rephrase. $75 for 30k miles x as many people as you would like to open up joint accounts with.

I have (EDITED: a few more than just one) so far and counting. Zero issues.

However.. I have been an existing SunTust business and personal account holder for years now and am able to go into my local branch where they know me well and give me the knowing smile after the 22 business card signers that I had for the 2010 promo. I'm not sure how well this would fly trying to do this online/out of state.

..and REALLY! All these people doing all these things.. JUST to get frequent flier miles. The lunacy of it all. I tell you. You people are just crazy..

*ZOOOOOOOOOOM* goes the plane to Hawaii for the 5th time in 2 years..
    By opening additional joint accounts can you use the same skymiles number, or will you be required to provide a different SM number for each account -- is there a way they can cross reference to see what SM #'s were used?
    Old May 24, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
    I opened an account in NC the other day, and asked about the timeframe for fulfilling the minimum balance. I was told that there would be a 2 month "grace period" to give new account holders time to adjust direct deposit with Employer and get the account balance up to the minimum $3000 needed to waive fees (for Balance Banking account). No monthly maintenance fee is charged until 2 months after opening the account.
    Old May 24, 2012, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by FlyHigh23
    By opening additional joint accounts can you use the same skymiles number, or will you be required to provide a different SM number for each account -- is there a way they can cross reference to see what SM #'s were used?

I used the same SM# with zero problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.