Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Metal Credit Cards, Important to you? Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Metal Credit Cards, Important to you? Why?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2013, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by johnnie198x
Exactly, it gets attention because nobody knows what it is + the color and metal. I'd guest they wouldn't notice a Centurion card if it was plastic. Also, places that I go to in SEA are probably not frequented by people with 1k AF cards.
I can't tell you how many times in the past people have said "wow!" to my black Citi Diamond Preferred card. Then i'd have to explain it's not prestigious.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by bribro
The J.P. Morgan Select card is a plain plastic credit card, no metal insert of any kind. The card hasn't been discontinued, it's just no longer offered by Chase Private Client, only J.P. Morgan Wealth Management (PB-HNW, PB-UHNW and JPMS).
Call JPM Select CS and have the rep read the official card description and it says there is. Now I have the card and it's just plain plastic but that's what the official info says. I wonder if a new card is about to be issued.
Old May 15, 2013, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Nick92
Call JPM Select CS and have the rep read the official card description and it says there is. Now I have the card and it's just plain plastic but that's what the official info says. I wonder if a new card is about to be issued.
I've been hearing that it's metal for a while, but I just got a new card in the last week or two, and it was plastic. I'm guessing something's wrong with the description.
Old May 16, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by Nick92
CSRs have been wrong before. Has anyone actually seen a metal J.P. Morgan Select card in person?
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
Originally Posted by dko3tgk
Metal cards are impractical. I have the Chase UA (formerly CO) Presidential Plus and the Sapphire Preferred. On a few international trips i used the Presidential Plus. Cashiers are flipping the card around an extra 2 or 10 times trying to figure out which side the numbers are on and which side the strip is on. One person thought it was a membership card and not a credit card. A few said they don't take "this kind of card", which to me meant they were so confused they just decided not to accept the card, than listen to my explanation. And it gets even worse when dealing with a small shop where they still use carbon slips and the rack. They end up tracing it with a pencil.

So any time I get a metal card I immediately have them replace it with the standard plastic one. Although Chase CS originally claimed that there was no plastic version of the Sapphire Preferred. They sent me the postage paid envelope to send them back the metal cards for destruction.

call me old, but having the card look and feel cool is secondary to being able to use it anywhere without extra hassle.
I used cc for everythigng possible and I've lived in mid sized cities in Podunk countries for the past 6 years and have never had a problem with chase's alternative card designs. The only time I ever had a problem was with a taxi driver in Zurich Switzerland a year ago who still used his manual cc machine from the 1930s* which utilized carbon paper.

*1930 may be an exaggeration for dramatic effect.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
I can't tell you how many times in the past people have said "wow!" to my black Citi Diamond Preferred card. Then i'd have to explain it's not prestigious.
My annual use trip was these past two weeks and I'd say about 70% of all purchases (and there were a lot) I got the comment that it was heavy and must be special (Marriott preferred metal card) , to which I explained anyone with decent credit can get it.

I also then tossed the comedically heavy new ritz card on the counter for a resounding clang for effect. ...and further explained any idiot who wants to spend $400 on an annual fee like me can do the same.

I'm childish that way sometimes.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by 2tall4economy
My annual use trip was these past two weeks and I'd say about 70% of all purchases (and there were a lot) I got the comment that it was heavy and must be special (Marriott preferred metal card) , to which I explained anyone with decent credit can get it.

I also then tossed the comedically heavy new ritz card on the counter for a resounding clang for effect. ...and further explained any idiot who wants to spend $400 on an annual fee like me can do the same.

I'm childish that way sometimes.
lol, all good. Although in comparison, the Marriott Premier & Ritz Carlton card are about 53 times more luxurious than my old black Citi Diamond Preferred card. The Citi Diamond is a startup card for 18 yr olds/early college kids or anyone needing new credit.

I must say that as far as plastic credit cards goes, the Citi Diamond card is probably the nicest looking/texture card i've ever seen/felt. It has this nice black carbon look, with a slight leather feel to it I can't describe (FWIW i've never seen the Visa Black). I've gotten plenty of compliments. My Amex Platinum? Not one look, ever =)

oh btw, the Ritz card is heavier than the Marriott Premier?
Old Aug 3, 2013, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

lol, all good. Although in comparison, the Marriott Premier & Ritz Carlton card are about 53 times more luxurious than my old black Citi Diamond Preferred card. The Citi Diamond is a startup card for 18 yr olds/early college kids or anyone needing new credit.

I must say that as far as plastic credit cards goes, the Citi Diamond card is probably the nicest looking/texture card i've ever seen/felt. It has this nice black carbon look, with a slight leather feel to it I can't describe (FWIW i've never seen the Visa Black). I've gotten plenty of compliments. My Amex Platinum? Not one look, ever =)

oh btw, the Ritz card is heavier than the Marriott Premier?
Yeah. The Marriott is same as the csp (metal sandwiched with plastic on both sides) while I suspect the ritz is made with the sae process as the palladium. It's 100% metal with black paint on it. Glorious clang on any hard surface
Old Aug 4, 2013, 1:24 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Gold
Yeah. The Marriott is same as the csp (metal sandwiched with plastic on both sides) while I suspect the ritz is made with the sae process as the palladium. It's 100% metal with black paint on it. Glorious clang on any hard surface
Chase sent me a new Ritz card about 3 months before my first card year anniversary (only reason given was to add chip functionality). It was the much heavier version you speak of. Before that I had a lighter metal one with no chip that felt the same as my CSP. I of course cancelled 2 months later. Seems such a waste of resources, especially since I had it from the no fee first year offer.

In fact, I'd rather not carry such a heavy card in my wallet just for "prestige" but I know that is a personal preference.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 6:13 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
I'm disappointed the lettering isnt in Silian Grail. Bateman certainly doesnt approve.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by austin_modern
I'm disappointed the lettering isnt in Silian Grail. Bateman certainly doesnt approve.
lol, good one.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:35 pm

there is a metal card in south korea that almost no one knows about. it's actually liquid metal (of apple computer fame) which is technically an amorphous metallic glass and not a true metal but we have cards here made out of it.

i personally own two of them. one of the hardest metals in existence yet bends with an elastic modulus similar to human bone that lets it keep its shape without deforming. fascinating stuff.

Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by atlasspeaks
there is a metal card in south korea that almost no one knows about. it's actually liquid metal (of apple computer fame) which is technically an amorphous metallic glass and not a true metal but we have cards here made out of it.

i personally own two of them. one of the hardest metals in existence yet bends with an elastic modulus similar to human bone that lets it keep its shape without deforming. fascinating stuff.
Looks pretty neat. Is it a credit card? Or I can only buy Hyundai's with it?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:30 pm

it's a full international credit card that can be used anywhere for anything. (it's mastercard world branded)

i also forgot to mention we have hyper duralumin cards here (basically the same high-grade aluminum used in airplane bodies) but they got discontinued a while back and cannot be obtained anymore.

http://english.donga.com/srv/service...=2012031322728
Old Aug 20, 2013, 3:43 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
I wish we had some metal cards here in the UK haha (Other than the Centurion, Platinum is my limit :P).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.