Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired] Citi Premier 50,000 TY Bonus Pts. ($500+ worth) FEE FREE FIRST YEAR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired] Citi Premier 50,000 TY Bonus Pts. ($500+ worth) FEE FREE FIRST YEAR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2012, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by vivacia
I think the 50k offer is still active here - http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...gc/Default.htm

It however, does not have the 2 pts for every dollar spent on travel for first 12 months.
..and it doesn't have first year free

50k offer
Annual Fee $125 for each primary cardmember.

$50 for each authorized user.

30k/30k offer
Annual Fee $125 for each primary cardmember. However, the annual fee is waived for the first 12 months.

$50 for each authorized user. However, the annual authorized user fee is waived for the first 12 months.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by MyTravels
..and it doesn't have first year free

50k offer
Annual Fee $125 for each primary cardmember.

$50 for each authorized user.

30k/30k offer
Annual Fee $125 for each primary cardmember. However, the annual fee is waived for the first 12 months.

$50 for each authorized user. However, the annual authorized user fee is waived for the first 12 months.
Ahh good call, I didn't notice that when I was searching around.

This one (http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...gc/default.htm) works though and has the annual fee waived =).
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, United Silver, SPG, AAdvantage, Flying Blue
Wish ThankYou points would pay for Eurostar tickets

I called Citi yesterday to learn if ThankYou points could be used to book tickets for train tickets in Europe. The customer service rep put me on hold, investigated, and reported back that in the past their wish fulfillment representatives could do this, but can no longer buy train tickets in Europe.

If Citi adds this feature, I'd apply for this card. I can get airline miles, so I'm looking for a card to get free train rides. (I know the CapitolOne Venture card points can be used to cover the cost of purchasing train tickets, but the 10,000 Venture points, translating into $100 worth of free tickets, doesn't motivate.)

If Citi would add train tickets to their search engine, and made their search engine visible to people who have are considering the ThankYou Preferred card, they could improve the market share of this card, I'm sure.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by vivacia
This one (http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...gc/default.htm) works though and has the annual fee waived =).
AND there is no expiration date (for whatever that's worth)...
Old Jun 15, 2012, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by friedablass
for as long as you keep the sponsored card. Once you cancel the sponsored card you have 30 days to use up the points, or 60 days if you have a Citibank account. Beyond that you forfeit any unredeemed balance.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 9690110
I called Citi yesterday to learn if ThankYou points could be used to book tickets for train tickets in Europe. The customer service rep put me on hold, investigated, and reported back that in the past their wish fulfillment representatives could do this, but can no longer buy train tickets in Europe.

If Citi adds this feature, I'd apply for this card. I can get airline miles, so I'm looking for a card to get free train rides. (I know the CapitolOne Venture card points can be used to cover the cost of purchasing train tickets, but the 10,000 Venture points, translating into $100 worth of free tickets, doesn't motivate.)

If Citi would add train tickets to their search engine, and made their search engine visible to people who have are considering the ThankYou Preferred card, they could improve the market share of this card, I'm sure.
Seriously doubt it any credit card redemption program would ever consider including European train tickets into their redemption options. Nor such an inclusion would increase the card's appeal.

Train ticket purchases in Europe are very complex - if you want the best deals, you buy DIRECTLY from the country's own railway companies, NOT the rip-off of Eurorail that caters to the Americans.

So if you want the Spain train tickets, you go to the Spanish one, same for the Italy's, same for the France, so on so forth. Unless of course, you prefer the one-stop shopping and do not mind to pay 30 to 50% higher prices, then go to Eurorail which would only offer you a limited options anyway and not local trains.

The individual country's railway company's website is so complex there is not a single search site can pull it off to have them available in one single place. On top of that, as far as I know, both the Spain's and the Italy's require your credit card must be either being Visa Verified, or Mastercard Secured - Citi bank's cards unfortunately do NOT participate in Mastercard Secured program - so neither site would accept a Citi card for making purchase. Chase's Visa cards participate in Visa Verified therefore are accepted once the card being used has gone thru the Visa Verified process and be recognized as such.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 5:13 pm
Suspended

met the $2500 spend req and 50k points posted, actually 5250 thank you points.
should i redeem it for $500 amazon gc or wait for some better promotion on gift cards like 25% bonus? $650 gift card?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
for as long as you keep the sponsored card. Once you cancel the sponsored card you have 30 days to use up the points, or 60 days if you have a Citibank account. Beyond that you forfeit any unredeemed balance.

friedablass was talking about expiration of the offer, not of thank you points themselves. The previous offer had an expiration date of 8/18/11, not that necessarily means anything as long as the link is still active.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by samdori
friedablass was talking about expiration of the offer, not of thank you points themselves. The previous offer had an expiration date of 8/18/11, not that necessarily means anything as long as the link is still active.
That's correct.

But, if we're talking about points expiration, I HAD forgotten that you need to keep the sponsor account open or risk losing the points if you don't redeem them within 30 days. So, if I apply, get approved, meet the spend, earn the 50k points and then cancel the card close to the 1 year mark to avoid paying the $125 fee I will need to use those points very quickly. And, even if I transfer them to my husband to extend their life, we'll need to use them within 90 days. Something to think about because I like to use this for purchasing airfare and not for gift cards or other stuff.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by emptiness
met the $2500 spend req and 50k points posted, actually 5250 thank you points.
should i redeem it for $500 amazon gc or wait for some better promotion on gift cards like 25% bonus? $650 gift card?
You won't get a 25% off amazon. At least, I've never seen one. The best you'll find is 10% off amazon, and 20% of some of the other merchants. Last time Amazon went to 9K/$100, I cashed in 45K points haha. I'm hoping they do again before september (Amazon sales tax in CA starts)!
Old Jun 19, 2012, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's correct.

But, if we're talking about points expiration, I HAD forgotten that you need to keep the sponsor account open or risk losing the points if you don't redeem them within 30 days. So, if I apply, get approved, meet the spend, earn the 50k points and then cancel the card close to the 1 year mark to avoid paying the $125 fee I will need to use those points very quickly. And, even if I transfer them to my husband to extend their life, we'll need to use them within 90 days. Something to think about because I like to use this for purchasing airfare and not for gift cards or other stuff.

Right! That is one major drawback of those "In-House" reward programs - UR, MR and TYP - but TYP is the most restrictive because there is no way to extend their lives longer than that possible 90 days once the sponsor card is canceled, versus UR you can go between SP, Ink Bold, and Palladium, or even temporarily park them at Freedom and later once en eligible account is opened you can then direct the pts over there, MR you can have any MR earning card to keep the MR account active...
Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:14 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
I was poking around tonight and saw this:

50k/free first year - offers both Visa and MC
http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...t1/default.htm
Old Jun 20, 2012, 6:25 am

I got the following prompt when logging into the ThankYou website. I have 2 Premier cards, with different points balances, but one card is new (and I'm still in the minimum spend period for bonus points). Should I wait until I've reached the minimum spend amount before pooling both of my cards points? (Or is this just harmless accounting for my convenience, and won't affect my ability to meet my spend amount within the first 3 months?)

You have accounts to combine

You have ThankYou accounts that have not been combined. By pooling your multiple sponsor accounts into one combined account, your points balance will add up even faster, so you can get the rewards you want.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 6:51 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Combining your ThankYou accounts will not effect your ability to track the earnings for each card.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, CO Plat, UA 1P, FB Plat, Marriott PLT, PC Plat, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
I was poking around tonight and saw this:

50k/free first year - offers both Visa and MC
http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...t1/default.htm
Datapoint: Applied and instantly approved up for TYP Premier 6/7 for 60k (30k this year, 30k next) after the 50k deal disappeared. Just sent SM to Citi requesting this deal instead and was approved.

Thanks for finding this!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.