Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

After being banned by Chase - Any success story?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2010, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

After being banned by Chase Lending, i.e. having all the Chase credit cards closed down at once, and being denied every single credit card application after that, is it possible to reverse things? (the only reason for being blacklisted being that one was churning Chase cards).

Was anybody successful in having a credit card application reconsidered? Or one's name removed from Chase's black list?

I am sick of those letters saying "due to previous unsatisfactory relations with the bank"...

If you managed to do it, what did you have to do?

Thanks
Old Apr 29, 2010, 2:14 pm

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere
Originally Posted by biouchra
Hi all,

After being banned by Chase Lending, i.e. having all the Chase credit cards closed down at once, and being denied every single credit card application after that, is it possible to reverse things? (the only reason for being blacklisted being that one was churning Chase cards).

Was anybody successful in having a credit card application reconsidered? Or one's name removed from Chase's black list?

I am sick of those letters saying "due to previous unsatisfactory relations with the bank"...

If you managed to do it, what did you have to do?

Thanks
curious...how much churning were u doing? for how many years?
Old Apr 29, 2010, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Uh.... something like 3 dozen UA, CO, Sony, and Amazon cards for about 2 years (2004 to 2006 or so). Back then, churning was not done methodically. It was application after application as long as they were approved.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 3:50 pm

Programs: A few
best hope is to go to branch, open real account, build a relationship with the branch and then try to get them to pull something for you.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Why are you so focussed on banking with Chase? Considering your history wouldn't it simply be easier to find a new bank?
Old Apr 29, 2010, 4:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
It will take a long time for them to get over it. Churning costs them lots of money. When somebody does that enough to be shut down one can be certain that it was major abuse. You'll need to use credit responsibly and remain stable for quite some time. They don't toss around statements and decisions like the ones you describe without serious provocation.

In the future keep in mind that a) it is hard for banks to make money on credit cards now, since the CARD act. b) Customers need to realize it is a two-way street and act responsibly towards the bank.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Why are you so focussed on banking with Chase? Considering your history wouldn't it simply be easier to find a new bank?
When we see deals like 50,000 BA miles, and the recurring UA and CO cards, I feel like I am missing something. That's why I am trying to find a way to get back in the game, but not as bluntly as I did in my youth...
Old Apr 29, 2010, 4:34 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Why are you so focussed on banking with Chase?
Banking? Just a guess, but I daresay the answer is in these threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...hase-visa.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...nus-miles.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...ized-user.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...visa-deal.html
Old Apr 29, 2010, 4:37 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
They don't toss around statements and decisions like the ones you describe without serious provocation.
Yes, but there is a huge benefit to a credit card factory like Chase to have this type of story posted on a site like Flyertalk. There is enormous deterrent value if they can make examples of enough people to get the story out.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 4:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
best hope is to go to branch, open real account, build a relationship with the branch and then try to get them to pull something for you.
For Chase and the other big banks there is close to zero connection between the branches and the credit card people, particularly rewards cards. If you're in a Private banking department there's a tiny influence but not much.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 4:52 pm

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere
WOW!!! This is a disturbing post. So if you have churned through 36 cards. At 5 points a hard hit that would be a drop of 180 points on your credit score. So say if you started with a good score of 700 you would now be somewhere in the low 500's...a very poor score. I wouldn't even see how you would qualify for an airline card at this point as most require a very good to excellent score. You need to focus on repairing your credit and not on credit card offers. You might get a couple of free trips and say save $1K on some airfare, but when you go to get a mortage or a car loan you will be paying out tens of thousands more in interest because of the damage you have done to your credit. Sorry if I sound too preachy here, but you need to go to credit card rehab or somethin. Call Dr. Drew.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 4:58 pm

Programs: DL, CO, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by koctail
WOW!!! This is a disturbing post. So if you have churned through 36 cards. At 5 points a hard hit that would be a drop of 180 points on your credit score. So say if you started with a good score of 700 you would now be somewhere in the low 500's...a very poor score. I wouldn't even see how you would qualify for an airline card at this point as most require a very good to excellent score. You need to focus on repairing your credit and not on credit card offers. You might get a couple of free trips and say save $1K on some airfare, but when you go to get a mortage or a car loan you will be paying out tens of thousands more in interest because of the damage you have done to your credit. Sorry if I sound too preachy here, but you need to go to credit card rehab or somethin. Call Dr. Drew.
The hit from a single inquiry usually disappears in 3 months and is gone from your credit file in 24 months. So his score might not even be affected at all at this point.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
It will take a long time for them to get over it. Churning costs them lots of money. When somebody does that enough to be shut down one can be certain that it was major abuse. You'll need to use credit responsibly and remain stable for quite some time. They don't toss around statements and decisions like the ones you describe without serious provocation.

In the future keep in mind that a) it is hard for banks to make money on credit cards now, since the CARD act. b) Customers need to realize it is a two-way street and act responsibly towards the bank.

I know... I know... That was 6 years ago, I was young, excited about the rewards and I was new to the game... Had no idea about credit scores, inquiries, etc.

If anybody went thru this and can answer my original question, that'll be very appreciated.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 5:25 pm
In memoriam

The credit score impact of churning is very small, if it exists at all. While some "moralists" seem to think churners are punished for getting all those lovely miles with a lower score, it ain't necessarily so.

Me, I churned maybe sixty accounts once I discovered (thanks FTers ) how lucrative it could be--and my credit score was and is in great shape.

But, I am on churning hold for a bit due to bankers making trouble. Of course, we all know how responsible those bankers are.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 5:25 pm
Formerly known as god_forbids

Programs: DL Kettle
Not to mention that bundles of inquiries for the same purpose (multiple car loan pulls, for example) usually consolidate and cause less damage than if each were done apart from each other. I would be shocked if the overall drop was that high.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.