Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Silver Elite - Being charged to book CO Metal E+ seat (non bulkhead or exit row)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Silver Elite - Being charged to book CO Metal E+ seat (non bulkhead or exit row)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2012, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster. I am trying to book CO1189 IAH-ORD on 3/31 and the seat map shows a 738 with E+ seats. Before booking the flight the seat maps says all of those seats are complementary for Elites. When I go to pay for the flight, it wants to charge me the extra leg room fee (this is not the bulkhead or exit row seats, it is all seats in front of the exit rows). For my return flight on 4/1 CO970 (a UA 757) I can book into E+ for no fee.

Excluding bulkhead and exit rows, weren't silvers supposed to be allowed to book E+ seats at purchase for any flights up until the change over on 3/3?

Thanks!
Stephen
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:04 am

2P/Silver

Economy Plus: available at check-in for premier member and one companion
NOT AT TIME OF BOOKING!

"A change I'm sure you will like"!
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Understood...I guess I just thought that that change wouldn't go into effect until the new Mileage Plus program begins on 3/3. Seems inconsistent that I can book on UA metal in E+ but not CO metal.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by NUHouston
Understood...I guess I just thought that that change wouldn't go into effect until the new Mileage Plus program begins on 3/3. Seems inconsistent that I can book on UA metal in E+ but not CO metal.
I am trying to book CO1189 IAH-ORD on 3/31

Did you try booking your ticket on the UA website, and select your CO seats. You can always cancel it w/i 24 hours. Worth a shot!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, Avis 1st
Had a similar problem with an odd twist: attempted to book into the normal (not bulkhead/exit row) E+ section on a sCO flight post 3/3 and the CO site wanted to charge me. However, when booking a sUA flight post 3/3 on the CO site I was able to select bulkhead/exit row at no charge.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by iahkid2014
Had a similar problem with an odd twist: attempted to book into the normal (not bulkhead/exit row) E+ section on a sCO flight post 3/3 and the CO site wanted to charge me. However, when booking a sUA flight post 3/3 on the CO site I was able to select bulkhead/exit row at no charge.
Go over the UA and see if your seat stuck.
Sometimes you can do a lot of things, however it doesn't take on the other site!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
I am Silver/2P. Similar situation.

Booked a March 15 outbound / March 19 return CO flight # on co.com (flight operated by UAL though).

I was able to pre-select E+.

UA Insider has said that the system wont "unselect" my seats after 3/3, but darn tootin, I will double check
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by NUHouston
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster. I am trying to book CO1189 IAH-ORD on 3/31 and the seat map shows a 738 with E+ seats. Before booking the flight the seat maps says all of those seats are complementary for Elites. When I go to pay for the flight, it wants to charge me the extra leg room fee (this is not the bulkhead or exit row seats, it is all seats in front of the exit rows). For my return flight on 4/1 CO970 (a UA 757) I can book into E+ for no fee.

Excluding bulkhead and exit rows, weren't silvers supposed to be allowed to book E+ seats at purchase for any flights up until the change over on 3/3?

Thanks!
Stephen
Strange one for me today.

LHR-LAX - Booked CO codeshare on UA metal. Am CO Gold. Could not get seat changed at all on co.com so went over to UA. Tried to make a change but seat change would not stick. Called UA and they moved me manually to exit row on 777. Went to do OLCI and even though had exit assigned I was prompted to pay 59 pounds to upgrade to E+

There was an ignore and continue button so I did and my BP printed out correctly (in exit row) Kinda weird
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sdix
Strange one for me today.

LHR-LAX - Booked CO codeshare on UA metal. Am CO Gold. Could not get seat changed at all on co.com so went over to UA. Tried to make a change but seat change would not stick. Called UA and they moved me manually to exit row on 777. Went to do OLCI and even though had exit assigned I was prompted to pay 59 pounds to upgrade to E+

There was an ignore and continue button so I did and my BP printed out correctly (in exit row) Kinda weird
First rule of FT. Don't book codeshares.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Sigh..... I've been checking my seats, which were booked in early January, almost daily now for a flight this weekend.

Today, I discovered mine was moved and my husband remained where he was. I tried to either move myself closer to him, or him closer to me, and the website tried to charge me $29 for ELR.

I called and was told they couldn't override the system and I would have to pay or stay put.

It was only after I told them I had the seat and CO moved me out of it for no good reason overnight, that she was able to move my husband closer to me.

It still doesn't show on the website, but I have an email with the new seat assignment.

I'm really starting to hate CO these days.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

So for my flight I ended up calling the Elite desk. They couldn't put me in the E+ seat without charging. I mentioned the discrepancy on the seat map pre-booking and at the end of the booking, and they transferred me to web support (or something of that nature). Someone there had to ask permission but they were able to override the system and put me into E+ for free. They mentioned that since there was a lot in flux right right that they were able to waive the fee for me.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1M, 1K,AA 2M,HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
Similar issue. Being downgraded from Gold to Silver end of February.
Booked ticket to Australia, 3/3, no E+ seats available without a charge.
Booked domestic ticket, 3/17, allowed me to choose E+ seats.
Curious, probably requires a call.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 1:09 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I'm silver elite and booked a CO flight AMS -> IAH that departs before 3/3. I was unable to book in E+ without being charged and it was over $100 for this one leg. Does anyone know if I can switch to an E+ seat when I check in online???

Thanks
Old Feb 24, 2012, 2:51 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by LilAbner
2P/Silver

Economy Plus: available at check-in for premier member and one companion
NOT AT TIME OF BOOKING!

"A change I'm sure you will like"!
No no no...
I believe that $MI/J wants to say "A charge you will like"
Old Feb 24, 2012, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by hcampana
I'm silver elite and booked a CO flight AMS -> IAH that departs before 3/3. I was unable to book in E+ without being charged and it was over $100 for this one leg. Does anyone know if I can switch to an E+ seat when I check in online???

Thanks
I was told you can switch E+ within 24 hours. Apparently, for silvers, any reservation made after the end of January will now trigger the charge - and that includes if you want to change your seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.