Community
Wiki Posts
Search

the passing of a FT'er. Good Bye Applefan

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy the passing of a FT'er. Good Bye Applefan

My apologies if I have this in the wrong forum. (mods, please move as needed, TY)

Applefan (James) loved to travel, explore, and experience new cultures. His last trip was on June 17. He was struck down by heart attack at a coffee shop in Seattle area. It only seems fitting as I met him at a coffee shop and it was his favorite beverage. We can be taken from life at any time, but at 46, his journey seems acutely short. We still had places to go.

He introduced an interest in travel that I otherwise may have never known. Tips, how to maximize my dollar, things to do or see, places to eat, getting along in the culture, art... My greatest homage to him is that I can (and have) passed those things to other people. I know many of you take it travel for granted, but in my youth... Dad putting up the family in the Motel6 was high living as we trekked to the Ozarks in something that resembled Lampoons Vacation... His friendship quite literally changed my life and made me aware of horizons I never knew were there.

I know he was not a frequent poster here... But I also know that he met several people at some gatherings and I believe played fantasy baseball with contacts on this board. QuietLion and Bosoxfan are names that seem to come to mind.

If you knew Applefan or someone that did, please pass it along. And wherever you roam, please make memories that edify your life. Also try to take a friend. Good memories are made better when shared.

God bless you all on FT.

If you would like to sign his obit:
http://www.vanemburgh.com/home/index...79&fh_id=14256

-- blake moore
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I never knew him. I hope he travels well to his final destination. RIP.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 9:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by blakeinspace
Applefan (James) loved to travel, explore, and experience new cultures. His last trip was on June 17. He was struck down by heart attack at a coffee shop in Seattle area. It only seems fitting as I met him at a coffee shop and it was his favorite beverage. We can be taken from life at any time, but at 46, his journey seems acutely short. We still had places to go.
Very well said and I appreciate your sharing about James' passing as it's always sad when a community loses a member but I feel important to acknowledge their contributions.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 10:28 pm
Community Director Emerita

I'm shocked. applefan came to the San Diego FT get together in 2001. I actually thought he loved apples and perhaps owned an orchard. It was a long time before I purchased an Apple product and realized that was likely what he meant. I'm really sorry to learn he left us so early.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I believe that I met him around the 2002-2004 timeframe. I remembered him being fairly young so yes I'm shocked as well.

RIP AF
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:50 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I agree. My condolences to the family and friends who knew him

One of the finest parts of this community is the inspiration that each other brings to live's travel adventures. I am sure that applefan was no different. ^
Old Jul 1, 2016, 1:26 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I'm shocked. applefan came to the San Diego FT get together in 2001. I actually thought he loved apples and perhaps owned an orchard. It was a long time before I purchased an Apple product and realized that was likely what he meant. I'm really sorry to learn he left us so early.
I also met applefan in 2001 at the very first Flyertalk event that I ever hosted - here in Seattle. At that event, he would have met newself - whom we also lost too young to a heart attack in a coffee shop, and Travelweary - whom we lost to cancer.

I hope they're together somewhere in the beyond, chatting about fantasy baseball, coffee, and travel.

My deepest condolences to James' family and close friends.

Last edited by missydarlin; Jul 1, 2016 at 2:29 pm
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
applefan I actually thought he loved apples and perhaps owned an orchard. It was a long time before I purchased an Apple product and realized that was likely what he meant. I'm really sorry to learn he left us so early.
That would have made him laugh... Yes... A big fan of the Apple empire. As everyone went to PC he had to have a Mac. He even owned a Newton... You remember those?... Like first gen PDA type things?... The heck of it is... He bought it five years after they came out, before he started carrying this bricky device around and used it! The only thing he could grow would be a beard or mold in fridge... And the fridge fungus would probably struggle at that.

If the world went VHS... He would be the guy that went Betamax.

MissyDarlin... That photo was framed on his desk. This community and travel in general meant very much to him. I know he enjoyed the FT events he attended... I even went to one with him in San Antonio or Austin (been a while lol)...

But your photo warms my heart, and that is him on the far right. Thank You for having that. Thank you for sharing that.

I will let his family know of this thread, I know they would like to realize how even small touches made electronically can have a big impact in real life.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 1, 2016 at 6:28 pm
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:57 pm
Community Director Emerita

markbach kindly went thru his links and found the one from the San Diego FT event. applefan is on the left, with a cigar provided by cigarman on the right.

Old Jul 1, 2016, 6:11 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
So sorry to hear this.

He was one of the First FT'ers I met in person...so sad to hear this news.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I met applefan way back when in Seattle. Must have been just after I joined Flyertalk. Maybe 2002 ish. James was active then. He was a nice guy. It's always sad when one of us leaves this earth. May his first class upgrade always be.

Rest in Peace. Sorry for your loss blakeinspace.

Last edited by dhammer53; Jul 4, 2016 at 8:27 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jul 4, 2016, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by squeakr
He was one of the First FT'ers I met in person...so sad to hear this news.
Same here, only met him one time, but he used to be a more active poster.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all those that checked in, shared a memory, or signed the obit. I heard from James' father and aunt and both appreciated the kindness and compassion shown in this community. They asked me to express their gratitude.

You have a good community here.
Safe travels all.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 12:53 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I never had the pleasure of meeting Applefan, but it sounds like he was a great guy and treasured Flyertalk friend.

My condolences to his family and friends.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I just saw this and I'm sad that we've lost yet another of our FlyerTalk friends. I am particularly struck because we are close in age... too young!

James was so friendly and I enjoyed seeing him at events. I hope he's talking travel and enjoying coffee or a cold beer with our other FT friends in the great beyond.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.