Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

OzFest #12" – "Bay Of Islands" New Zealand - Memorial Day Weekend, May 22-25, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2015, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: crankychick
Oz Fest 12
Bay of Islands, New Zealand
May 22 - May 24, 2015

Registration and Payment:
Logistical and Attendee Information:
Consolidated List of Links Referenced:

Thursday, May 21, 2015:
Friday, May 22, 2015:
Saturday, May 23, 2015:
Sunday, May 24, 2015:
Additional Information:
Print Wikipost

OzFest #12" – "Bay Of Islands" New Zealand - Memorial Day Weekend, May 22-25, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA PPro, QF Gold, DL Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Upperdeck744
Late to the party but wasn't sure if I would be able to make it due to work projects. I am able to make it, so please let me know if there is space available or whether I can be waitlisted.
Of course there is space. The more the merrier.

Should we make you Platinum?
Old Apr 9, 2015, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Bus both ways for Glen and Margo - the Business Class seats please.

Felt sure I'd already added that confirmation last week, but can't see it anywhere.

We'll need a tour coach at this rate.

Glen
Old Apr 9, 2015, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Still booking flights and out of curiosity went to look at what flights others were arriving on and discover most attendees are arriving Monday 25 and during the following week after many have already flown home on Sunday 24th.

Bill and Sue miss ozfest by a full week.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1496238024

I blame that "frantic" person from New York myself.

I've heard about the date line but this is silly!

Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Still booking flights and out of curiosity went to look at what flights others were arriving on and discover most attendees are arriving Monday 25 and during the following week after many have already flown home on Sunday 24th.

Bill and Sue miss ozfest by a full week.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1496238024

I blame that "frantic" person from New York myself.

I've heard about the date line but this is silly!

Not sure what you are on Glen but can I have some please?

You have highlighted peoples departure flights. The arrivals are further up the page from what you copied.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This is why no-one ever lets me do spread sheets.

Margo double checked it so I suspect it was her error.

What are you doing there for so long - applying for citizenship?

I still blame frantic.

==========

Seems like nothing leaves AKL Sunday night for SYD that will see us guaranteed to be there at airport from Pahia if we do not leave there until 3pm. There is a 7.05pm on AirNZ/Virgin and that is it. The others flying out Sunday are on 10pm type flights it looks like.

Bay of Islands Cruise finishes 1pm, and bus heads back at 3pm on present sked, which seems an unusually long wait. Does anyone know if airport stop is before CBD or vice versa?

I've driven Pahia - AKL a few times and seem to recall it was quite a few hours drive.

Glen
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
This is why no-one ever lets me do spread sheets.

Margo double checked it so I suspect it was her error.

What are you doing there for so long - applying for citizenship?

I still blame frantic.

==========

Seems like nothing leaves AKL Sunday night for SYD that will see us guaranteed to be there at airport from Pahia if we do not leave there until 3pm. There is a 7.05pm on AirNZ/Virgin and that is it. The others flying out Sunday are on 10pm type flights it looks like.

Bay of Islands Cruise finishes 1pm, and bus heads back at 3pm on present sked, which seems an unusually long wait. Does anyone know if airport stop is before CBD or vice versa?

I've driven Pahia - AKL a few times and seem to recall it was quite a few hours drive.

Glen
Blaming 'frantic' is probably still a good idea.

We are staying in a timeshare for the week with our daughter and SIL. Then to Auckland for one night before we fly out.

Paihia (note spelling) to Auckland City then to the airport and the drive from the city to the airport is still horrible.

Bus both ways for Glen and Margo - the Business Class seats please.

Felt sure I'd already added that confirmation last week, but can't see it anywhere.

We'll need a tour coach at this rate.

Glen
Only Economy minus seats available Glen!
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:09 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by crankychick

Sunday, May 24, 2015:
  • Meet for breakfast in Paihia (?)
  • 8:45 am Check in - Dolphin Cruise to Hole in Rock
    • Set off on a half-day Bay of Islands cruise in search of dolphins and other marine life. Enjoy the views from our catamaran Dolphin Seeker as we journey right to the end of the Cape Brett Peninsula, to the famous Hole in the Rock on Motukokako Island.
      • Tour departs at 9:00 am from Paihia and returns at 1:00 pm.
  • 3:00 pm - Travel back to Auckland via bus. This allows for Sunday morning activity, accounts for Sunday evening flights and dinner in Auckland.
Will there be somewhere at the boat terminal to store our bags while we do the tour? If so, we can checkout from our hotels in am,and leave our bags there so maybe we can then leave Paihia a little earlier back to Auckland...is the 2 hour gap for lunch?

Last edited by kpc; Apr 9, 2015 at 8:19 am
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The only way I can see us getting back to oz Sunday night if we do not leave Paihia untl 3pm, is the 9pm flight to BNE a few other folks are on, that arrives late evening and then 6 hours later grab the 1st domestic to SYD.

BNE allegedly operates 24/7, although there seems to be almost nothing landing or taking off between midnight and 5 or 6 am except one Etihad flight at 2am - 3am or so it seems.

So are ANY of the lounges open in the early hours there? 5 or 6 hours is too short to bother with a hotel and doing computer work in a lounge is not the end of the world if there is a lounge and a bit of comfort. As we arrive in It'l terminal I guess we can stay air-side for hours if we choose if something is open?
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: QF WP
Have to admit that when I was considering the options, I need to make the 5pm flight from AKL, so even if I jump straight into the car after the cruise at 1pm, it's still ridiculously tight...
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy

Have to admit that when I was considering the options, I need to make the 5pm flight from AKL, so even if I jump straight into the car after the cruise at 1pm, it's still ridiculously tight...
Seeing it is a 3+ hour drive to AKL with zero stops, and the Airport is South of City, you are screwed. Even in a limo and even if you did not have to dump a rental.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Flights are booked!

Arriving AKL 5:35 pm, Thursday, 21 May, VA 7436 (actually an NZ flight) from BNE
Leave AKL 7:00 am, Tuesday, 26 May, VA 7401 (also really NZ) to SYD

Would like to be on the bus both ways.

Hotels: VR Queen Street in Auckland Thursday, Sunday and Monday nights; Averill Court during OzFest.

Last edited by Efrem; May 13, 2015 at 1:21 pm Reason: Add hotel information
Old Apr 9, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA PPro, QF Gold, DL Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
Lots of activity overnight.

As I said in post 8, this is a working version of the agenda and not set in stone.

I left a gap between the tour end on Sunday and bus departure time for whatever may happen, because things do happen.

We will have a tour bus that will have a luggage compartment, where bags can be stored on Sunday.

This is why I have been nagging for things like who is on the bus.

No reason it can't leave earlier following the tour. Pick up lunch after the tour ends and eat on the bus.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
If you can leave the car and skip the last day. Air NZ has a 6:50AM on Sunday to AKL for $89 NZD includes 1 checked bag up to 23KG. Must book at the co.nz site or the price jumps
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:02 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
crankychick, flight and bus information look correct for us.

Confirming agenda:

Thursday, May 21 2015:
Dinner - no, we're having dinner with friends
Hotel - Lee family home (really good rate )

Friday, May 22, 2015:
1:00 pm - Bus to Bay of Islands. Yes x2 . As our friends live in Howick, I presume they'll drop us to wherever the CBD pick up is arranged.
7:00 pm'ish Official DO Kick-Off Dinner & Drinks in Paihia or Russell: Sounds good, we'll be there (wherever it is).

Saturday, May 23, 2015:
Cape Reinga Tour - Approx $145 NZD pp includes lunch (either Fish & Chips or Vegetarian Salad) - HELL YES (x2)
Group Dinner in Paihia - Yes (x2)

Sunday, May 24, 2015:
8:45 am Check in: Dolphin Cruise to Hole in Rock - HELL YES (x2)
3:00 pm: Travel back to Auckland via bus. Yes, x 2, with drop off at airport
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:26 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by CDKing
If you can leave the car and skip the last day. Air NZ has a 6:50AM on Sunday to AKL for $89 NZD includes 1 checked bag up to 23KG. Must book at the co.nz site or the price jumps
Sounds like an option, but that means I'm flying for 11 hours one-way for 1 day in NZ... tough call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.