Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Manufactured Spending Meetup?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
No meet-up currently planned.
Print Wikipost

San Francisco Manufactured Spending Meetup?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

As @OP, I'm in favor of MKT, the hotel bar at the Four Seasons. Went there last week for the first time - great open space, convenient location, and not too busy.

Also a bit ironic since it is one of the few major hotel chains with neither a loyalty program nor branded credit card Hopefully that changes one day.

Purchases from the bar code as "travel" on Arrival. Haha.

Last edited by sedubby; Jul 28, 2014 at 10:06 pm
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta
+ East Bay
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:36 am

+1 SF/Peninsula
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Turkish Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
+1 SF/Peninsula
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:33 pm
Suspended

+1 East Bay
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:38 pm

+1 for East Bay or SF or Peninsula meet.

Also if someone wants to just meet casually (not whole meetup), feel free to PM. We can catchup for a coffee in East Bay (or nearby, I am mobile)
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:49 pm

+1 in SF
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sedubby
As @OP, I'm in favor of MKT, the hotel bar at the Four Seasons. Went there last week for the first time - great open space, convenient location, and not too busy.

Also a bit ironic since it is one of the few major hotel chains with neither a loyalty program nor branded credit card Hopefully that changes one day.

Purchases from the bar code as "travel" on Arrival. Haha.
That sounds like a good spot. How about 8/6 at 8pm?

It's midweek, so it doesn't rob someone of the chance to hang out with close friends on the weekend. It's close to BART (between Montgomery and Powell), and allows time for people to get dinner beforehand / commute from South or East Bay.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US
+1 in AZ !
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
I'd prefer Four Seasons in East Palo Alto instead.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by greggarious
That sounds like a good spot. How about 8/6 at 8pm?

It's midweek, so it doesn't rob someone of the chance to hang out with close friends on the weekend. It's close to BART (between Montgomery and Powell), and allows time for people to get dinner beforehand / commute from South or East Bay.
Thank you! This sounds perfect. I would suggest a little earlier 7-9 next week August 6th?

This being SF, I would like to suggest a topic for the event: "Leveraging Fintech Startups for MS."

I think evolve, simple, loyal3, and even new prepaid products from established players like t-mobile/wm are great examples of innovation in the fintech space. None of these products existed a few years ago, and with lots of VC talk around disrupting the "bank", I believe there will be plenty of new opportunities to leverage fintech startups for MS. Would love to here what others have to say, whether predictions for the future of credit cards, banking, or next MS opportunity from an up-and-coming startup (desperate for user growth )

See you there!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
I live in SJ and interested too.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:33 am

Hey all,

I'm a Brazil-based MSer and will be in SF for a couple of days in late August and am looking to mint some miles while I am there. I've been calling a bunch of WU/MG money order places, but almost all of them are cash only. Any tips other than WM for unloading a bunch of Staples.com VGCs in SF?

Any help would be much appreciated. PMs welcome.

Last edited by BrazilianGringo; Jul 30, 2014 at 3:28 pm
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sedubby
Thank you! This sounds perfect. I would suggest a little earlier 7-9 next week August 6th?

This being SF, I would like to suggest a topic for the event: "Leveraging Fintech Startups for MS."

I think evolve, simple, loyal3, and even new prepaid products from established players like t-mobile/wm are great examples of innovation in the fintech space. None of these products existed a few years ago, and with lots of VC talk around disrupting the "bank", I believe there will be plenty of new opportunities to leverage fintech startups for MS. Would love to here what others have to say, whether predictions for the future of credit cards, banking, or next MS opportunity from an up-and-coming startup (desperate for user growth )

See you there!
Ok, so one person would do 7pm-9pm on 8/6 at the SF Four Seasons. Who else would attend?

Also, in reply to your comments on startups: keep in mind most MS techniques can also be used by fraudsters to liquidate stolen credit cards. So trying to "grow" a startup by appealing to MSers could backfire badly

Frankly, I think a lot of this stuff will be less relevant when the economy picks back up. I think a lot of people are obsessed with getting 2-5% return on their day to day spending because interest rates are so low and the stock market so wonky. For similar reasons, people want to spend less on vacations and look for points to cut the major expense of most vacations (airfare).
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Newbie
Are rookies (well, not sooo rookie - maybe 6 month old MSer) welcome in this meet up? If so, i would like to attend too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.