Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by profamericain
Hey Guys, I was wondering if someone could confirm what I was just told by a citi customer rep. (It's not that I am a suspicious type, but with 80k points in the balance I'd hate to learn after the fact that the rep was wrong.)
My premier card is going to expire in october and I do not want to renew. The rep told me that if I cancel the card before it renews I still have 60 days to transfer the points to a transfer partner, in this case Singapore airlines. Can anyone confirm this?
(By the way, the reason I want to wait 60 days is that once the points are with singapore I only have 18 months before they expire, and by waiting 60 days they will last until summer 2018.)
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Yes, that's what the discussion just above is all about. You have at least 60 days after you cancel a card to transfer the points to SQ, (or wherever).

You can also relax, since SQ miles don't expire after 18 months, they are good for 36 months.
However, if this is the only card associated with your Thankyou points account, it is believed that your ability to transfer to partners is gone once the account is closed. You may need to be as charm as RobertHanson to get a CSR to manually transfer for you. Why not transfer it over when your account is alive and do not rest your points' fate on someone making an exception for you.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
No. Points earned through banking are considered "taxable" and cannot be Transferred or Shared. There is no workaround. The reason is that Citi needs to be able to calculate the value received when the points are redeemed for purposes of generating a 1099. They cannot do this if you move the points out of the program or into another person's account.
And yet Citi manages to come up with a value of AA miles earned as checking account bonuses when the value of what you can redeem AA mile for varies greatly (and the value that CIti uses is not the maximum possible, though it's enough to make the tax string quite unpleasant)?

IMHO these are great reasons to always ignore miles/points bonuses on checking accounts.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by geclub1
However, if this is the only card associated with your Thankyou points account, it is believed that your ability to transfer to partners is gone once the account is closed. You may need to be as charm as RobertHanson to get a CSR to manually transfer for you. Why not transfer it over when your account is alive and do not rest your points' fate on someone making an exception for you.
Since you have 3 years to use the SQ points, if you are sure that SQ is where you want to send the points, I agree. Transfer the points to SQ before you cancel the card, rather than risk Citi causing problems for you after you cancel it. Just because Citi's rules say one thing today, that is no guarantee they won't change them tonight.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:02 am

My mom signed up for the Prestige 50K offer right before it died and met $4K spend in the first month. However, she was a couple days late with the payment. She called to get the late fee and interest charges reversed, but her TYP balance is 0. In the TY account page, she has 54K points earned, but they're "unavailable."

Only accounts that are current may earn and redeem ThankYou Points. If your Citi® credit card account is past due, some ThankYou Points may be unavailable for redemption. Unavailable points may be reinstated here once you become current with your payments.
She's up to date on payments now and on the bottom of the page, there's an option to reinstate points. Is there any reason to NOT reinstate the points? I would think this would be automatic and not an option.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UR
Just transferred 50K to DW account and have 90 days breather. Now I can close my TYP Premier. Anyone know how to get alerted for a transfer bonus deal like Etihad +25% and such?
Old Sep 21, 2016, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
She's up to date on payments now and on the bottom of the page, there's an option to reinstate points. Is there any reason to NOT reinstate the points? I would think this would be automatic and not an option.

The only reason to not reinstate them is if she decided she doesn't really want them anymore.

But if that's the case, still reinstate them, then PM me for my TYPs account number, so she can transfer them to me.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by FT-hss
Just transferred 50K to DW account and have 90 days breather. Now I can close my TYP Premier. Anyone know how to get alerted for a transfer bonus deal like Etihad +25% and such?
Well, not an alert per se...

Just check the major travel blogs, OMAAT, VFTW, and MMS. If/when a transfer bonus pops up, one or more of them will post about it.

Don't rely on FT, because there are eleventy-seven different threads on any possible topic. If you aren't following every single one of them, a new offer will almost certainly be only posted on the one you don't know about, and you will never find out about it.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
Why not wait longer than 60 days from card closure and report back?
Sorry, I so wanted to be a DP for y'all. But depending on what dates open up, I will be grabbing SQ Suites awards for us next Summer/Fall very soon. So I decided I should move the points now, lest they not be in my SQ account when the awards open up. 65K points moved from my Premier to SQ a few minutes ago.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 5:40 pm

Sorry, I so wanted to be a DP for y'all. But depending on what dates open up, I will be grabbing SQ Suites awards for us next Summer/Fall very soon. So I decided I should move the points now, lest they not be in my SQ account when the awards open up. 65K points moved from my Premier to SQ a few minutes ago.
That's what I would have done. We've never done SQ Suites, and it's definitely on our list.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:28 am

Requested Premier points transfer to SQ Wed (21st) afternoon. The points are showing in my SQ account now.

Last edited by RobertHanson; Sep 29, 2016 at 9:17 am
Old Sep 25, 2016, 10:29 am

Wiki updated to add FAQ (w/link) on sharing of TYP.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:37 pm

Abandoning Prestige and TYP

I plan on getting CSR once I'm past 5/24 in January. The program beats the hell out of Citi and AmEx for me as all the programs currently exist.

My Prestige comes up for renewal end of January, and I have no need to renew if I get approved for CSR.

1 - Due to timing, I guess there's no way to double dip on the $250 annual travel credit?
2 - I have 25k TYP. For now I don't have any upcoming travel plans to spend them on. Can I buy a $400 AA gift card for future flights? Do they have weird rules to be careful with?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:47 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Ttrevi88
... 25k TYP. For now I don't have any upcoming travel plans to spend them on. Can I buy a $400 AA gift card...
ThankYou Rewards does not offer AA giftcards, and you would not be able to obtain $400 cards for 25,000 points.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:49 pm

They're still worth 1.6cpp for AA tickets till next year. But not good for AA gift cards?

How else can I use them and get better than 1cpp?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:53 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Ttrevi88
They're still worth 1.6cpp for AA tickets till next year. But not good for AA gift cards?
Points are only worth $0.016 if you purchase an AA ticket on thankyou.com . Gift cards have a different redemption rate, and AA gift cards are not offered.

Points are worth $0.0133 if you purchase a ticket on another airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.