Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors Reserve Card [Ends Dec 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2013, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Citi's contract to issue Hilton co-branded cards ends in December 2017. Citi will sell most accounts to American Express. The criteria for determining which accounts are eligible to be sold are unpublished. Read Hilton FAQ: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html

ALL known links for ALL Citi Hilton Honors cards appear to be dead now.
-----------------------------

This thread is a continuation of: Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card (2012 - 2015)

Link no longer working: https://www.citicards.com/cards/cred...7A711D5L00101W

Link no longer working: https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/cr...s-reserve-card

- Earn two weekend night certificates - at select hotels and resorts - after making $2,500 in purchases.

- Enjoy Hilton HHonors Gold Status as long as you are a Citi Hilton Reserve cardmember

- Annual Fee: $95,
not waived

From the app page:
"Weekend Night Certificates offer is not available if you have had any Citi®Hilton HHonorsTM card opened or closed in the past 24 months"."Weekend Night Certificates offer is not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card account that was opened or closed in the past 24 months." (Language change to "any" dates back to August 2016.)

When will I receive my free nights?
Some datapoints indicate that the certificates are emailed ~7 days after the statement in which the spend is met, but others datapoints indicate that it may take 1-2 additional statement cycles before they're actually sent.

How long do I have to use the free nights?
The certificates expire 12 months from the date that they're emailed to you. Your stay must be completed on or before this expiration date.

Do I need to print the certificates and take them with me?
Yes. Some people say they haven't been asked for them, but it's much better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.

Can the free weekend certs be redeemed online?
No, you have to call the HHonors department to book them. Even regular Hilton reservations cannot book them, although they can transfer you to the right department.

so the 2-browser trick is dead. can we still apply two HH Reserve card every 65 days, with same HH #, and get four certificates?
Several people have reported successfully churning this card, and receiving the certificates for both cards. Closing one card before applying for another doesn't appear to be required.

You can still get as many as you want of the Citi Hilton 50k cards (except that CITI only allows two cards of any type every 60-65 days).all 50k card offers without 18 month language dead as of 7/5/15

Can you get the anniversary free night bonus without paying the annual fee, or do you get the free night bonus only if you hit $10,000 in charges AND renew?
This seems to be YMMV. Some people have reported not getting it until well after their AF payment is due, while others have reported getting it in time to cancel and have their AF refunded. More data points on this are needed.

Terms and conditions for the free nights
Friday, Saturday & Sunday night, and I don't think there are any blackout nights (beyond the normal HHonors program rules). Here is the description from the Cert as well as the T&C's:

Description: You've received this reward certificate because you've met the purchase requirements with your Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve card. This reward is valid for one complimentary weekend night for a standard room at participating hotels worldwide, subject to availability. This reward is not valid at All-Inclusive or Distinctive properties and cannot be combined with the 5th Night Free benefit or other promotions. Please visit HHonors.com/weekendcertificate to see a list of excluded properties.

GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
As with any HHonors Reward, this Reward Certificate is subject to all HHonors Terms & Conditions on participation, use, and redemption, posted at http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/terms.do. The hotel stay received with this Hotel Reward Certificate shall be treated as a Hotel Reward Stay, as defined in the Terms & Conditions, except Points & Money, Premium Room and Room Upgrade Rewards cannot be used with this Certificate.

HOTEL REWARD TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. Reward Certificate is not transferable after issued and may be redeemed only by the individual named thereon, consistent with HHonors Terms & Conditions. If a person other than the individual named on the Reward Certificate attempts to redeem it, the Certificate will be deemed void and accommodations will be denied.
2. Reward Certificate may not be sold, auctioned, bartered, brokered or purchased except with the express written consent of Hilton HHonors. Any Reward Certificate obtained in this manner by any person or entity will be considered to be fraudulently obtained and will be deemed void if transferred for cash or other consideration. Altered Reward Certificates are void and will not be honored.
3. Reward Certificate may not be combined with other certificates, discounts, packages or promotional offers, or Hotel Reward stays beyond Standard Room Rewards, unless otherwise specified in writing by Hilton HHonors.
4. Reward Certificate cannot be redeemed for cash, prizes or credit. Reward Certificate is not exchangeable.
5. Reward Certificate will not be replaced, reissued or credited if lost, stolen or otherwise destroyed.
6. Reward Certificate is void if copied, prohibited or restricted by law.
7. HHonors members will not earn points or miles for Hotel Reward stays, unless otherwise stated on the Reward Certificate.
8. Reward Certificate expires on the date noted on the face of the Reward Certificate.
9. Reward Certificate must be redeemed in strict accordance with the procedures specified on the certificate.
10. For the purpose of Certificate redemption, a weekend night is defined as a Friday, Saturday or Sunday night, unless specified otherwise on the Reward Certificate.
11. Reward Certificate applies to the room rate and tax of one standard room at a participating hotel and as further provided on the Certificate. A "Standard room" is as defined by the hotel. Any tax liability incurred in connection with the receipt and/or use of this Certificate, including, but not limited to, local or city occupancy taxes, or individual income tax is the sole responsibility of the user. Incidental charges are the responsibility of the user.
12. Reward Certificate usage is limited to Double Occupancy. Additional occupants, age 19 and above, are subject to the standard extra person charges.
13. Reward Certificate reservations must be guaranteed with a credit card. Some hotels may require a deposit in lieu of a credit card guarantee. Deposits cannot be waived for Reward Certificate reservations. Reward Certificate reservations that are cancelled outside of the time frame set by the hotel's individual cancellation policy will be charged one night's room and tax at the hotel's minimum rate for that date.
14. Reward Certificate is valid for the number of nights noted under the description on the face of the Certificate. If the Certificate is valid for more than one night, all nights must be used and the Certificate redeemed for a single stay that includes up to all Certificate nights. The Certificate cannot be broken down and/or redeemed for more than one stay. Any unused nights will be forfeited and will not be replaced or credited.
15. No credit or substitutions will be given for any Reward Certificate including those that are only partially used.
16. Promotional Rewards are for Standard Rooms only.
17. Hotel stays resulting from Reward Certificate are non-commissionable to travel agents.
18. Recipients of Reward Certificate may be required to sign a release of liability and a statement permitting the use of their name and/or photo for promotional purposes without additional compensation.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton Honors Reserve Card [Ends Dec 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2016, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Regular AA card gives prorated refund, for years and still does so. No idea on HHonors Reserve.
My wife just received a prorated annual fee on the Reserve after cancelling about two months before the anniversary date.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MarkMColo
My wife just received a prorated annual fee on the Reserve after cancelling about two months before the anniversary date.
Thanks for posting the data point.

So she got 2 months out of 12 months of the AF refunded? I have not known the prorated refund can go into this far. I know the first 3 months into the new year always get prorated refund on the regular AA cards, as no one seems to cancel a fee card this close to next anniversary so there is no data point on that. Also the retention offer on AA card usually is pretty good, enough to offset the AF.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 4:10 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Received a letter offering me 4 bonus points per $ spent in certain categories through Mar 31:

Use your Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Reserve card to earn 4 HHonors Bonus Points per $1 spent on purchases you make at clothing stores, computer & electronics stores, toy stores and department stores.1 Earn up to 2,500 Points through 03/31/2016.

Pretty worthless imo with these categories. But thought others may want to request if these categories are meaningful to them
Old Jan 27, 2016, 4:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Received a letter offering me 4 bonus points per $ spent in certain categories through Mar 31:

Use your Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Reserve card to earn 4 HHonors Bonus Points per $1 spent on purchases you make at clothing stores, computer & electronics stores, toy stores and department stores.1 Earn up to 2,500 Points through 03/31/2016.

Pretty worthless imo with these categories. But thought others may want to request if these categories are meaningful to them
You can buy various gift cards at Toys R Us.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL, AC, CX, BA, AGR, IHG, HH, CC, UR, MR, TY
The annual fee for my Hilton Reserve card is coming up soon. After speaking with a rep a month ago and then reading this thread it sounds like my options are to:

• Wait 6-7 months after the AF in order to 1) apply for a new Reserve card (to get 2x free nights), and then 2) close this card (reset 18 mo)
  • Reach 10k spend on this card (unlikely for me) for 1 free night, offsetting the AF
  • Close this card before the AF (reset 18 mo)
  • Close this card within a certain amount of time after the AF to have the fee refunded entirely, or potentially prorated (reset 18 mo)
  • Downgrade this card to the no-fee version (reset 18 mo)
  • Attempt a product change to the Doublecash (may not reset 18 mo on the Reserve product, uncertain of this)
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Superorb
If you read the terms of the offer it will always explain what the 18 months applies to. Citi is usually all over the place between cards, so it's always important to read everything.
Unfortunately the application terms are ambiguous so you really can interpret them either way. I went with "date of application" and opened Reserve #2 - the agent read me the bonus terms and Citi overnighted me a copy of my acceptance letter I then cancelled Reserve #1 (they refunded my annual fee since I didn't receive proper notice of the annual fee). The agents were super sweet and really wanted to waive the fee so I could keep Reserve #1 open but their computer was only offering a few bad retention bonuses. Apparently a lot of the letters went out in December (mine had no expiration date to call them by)... so for those who are thinking of cancelling it might be worth asking Citi if they sent a letter regarding lack of notice -(to get the fee refunded you have to cancel card). My annual fee was billed over six months ago and they still refunded. As far as the approval letter it just states that the card (new one) has to be open when they issue the certificates, so I'm not expecting a problem with receiving my certs. (Will report back if that's the case.) For those who are wondering about this card, I highly recommend it. I was treated extremely well every time I used the card the past two and half years. (Awesome upgrades!)Well worth the $95 a year if you stay at Hilton even one or two times a year. I recently was upgraded to Diamond for a year (status match) but for those with no status- Hilton Gold is awesome! A little tip I think it helps to have a lot of Honors points in your account (pick up the Hilton Visa) -- the front desk automatically thinks you're one of their best customers!
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:32 am

I don't know what you're reading, but this is at the bottom "additional information" for the Reserve card landing page. And it's also in the wiki, which is the first place you should look before asking a question here.

Two Nights Certificate Offer
Weekend night certificate(s) is (are) earned after purchase requirements have been met using your Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card. Weekend night certificate is valid for one (1) weekend night standard accommodation, double occupancy, subject to availability, at properties in the Hilton Portfolio, excluding those listed at HHonors.com/weekendcertificate. The weekend night certificate applies only to room rate and corresponding taxes, and does not apply to any applicable gratuities, resort fees or incidental charges. Weekend night certificate is valid for twelve (12) months after the date of issuance, as noted on the certificate. You must follow all terms stated on the certificate when redeeming or the certificate may not be honored. Purchases made using additional cards on the primary cardmember's account will count toward the primary cardmember's purchase requirements; however, additional cardholders are not eligible to earn a certificate. Your Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve card account must be open and current at the time the certificate is issued. For complete Terms and Conditions, please refer to your certificate. Please allow 6-8 weeks after purchase requirements have been met to receive your certificate via email. If you do not have an email registered with HHonors, you must call 1-800-HHonors to receive and redeem your certificate.
Weekend Night Certificates offer is not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card account that was opened or closed in the past 18 months.

YOUR HHONORS POINTS WILL NOT EXPIRE
HHonors Points will not expire provided that the Hilton HHonors member takes one of the following actions within a 12 consecutive month period (1) stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio, (2) earn HHonors Points through any participating partner, or (3) purchase HHonors Points, or (4) Donate points through The Hilton HHonors Giving Back Program. For complete details, visit HHonors.com/Terms.

Visa Signature Benefits
Visit www.visasignature.com for details. The cost of goods or services is billed to your card. Certain terms and conditions apply.

Citi® Cards with Apple Pay™
Apple Pay is only available on Citi-branded consumer credit and debit cards (except for ATM, Chairman, and AT&T cards) issued in the continental U.S. and Hawaii.
Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Apple Pay is a trademark of Apple Inc.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by gamzarme
IMHO this would be the worst option as it would not only reset the 18 month rule for the HHonors Reserve card but also likely reset the 18 month rule for the Citi Hilton HHonors Visa. Unless average account age is of great importance to your credit score, I'd steer clear of this one.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 7:09 pm

I don't know what you're reading, but this is at the bottom "additional information" for the Reserve card landing page. And it's also in the wiki, which is the first place you should look before asking a question here.
Thanks Superorb for taking the time to respond twice to my question! I did study the wiki and the terms of the card before I posted and it was the wording that you bolded that had me concerned: Weekend Night Certificates offer is not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card account that was opened or closed in the past 18 months. What I wanted to know and was hoping someone with knowledge would answer was whether or not I could cancel Reserve #1 immediately after being approved for Reserve #2 or if I should wait until the certificates were actually issued. Maybe I am reading into it, but to me the wording is a little ambiguous and Citi could turn around and not issue me the certificates since on the issue date I will have had an account closed within the past 18 months. The wiki speaks to the 18 months and it speaks to churning but no where does it say "you can cancel your first card immediately after approval of your second card" or "wait until the certificates are issued from your second card before you cancel your first one". I'm sure there are others who would like to know the answer so they can reset the 18 months as soon as possible. I'm hoping that you can cancel immediately after approval and if anyone did so and received the second bonus it would be great if you could let us know!
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:56 am

How long does it typically take for the $100 credit to hit? I stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn a week ago and don't show anything yet...do you usually have to wait until your next statement?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Flygirl98
Thanks Superorb for taking the time to respond twice to my question! I did study the wiki and the terms of the card before I posted and it was the wording that you bolded that had me concerned: Weekend Night Certificates offer is not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card account that was opened or closed in the past 18 months. What I wanted to know and was hoping someone with knowledge would answer was whether or not I could cancel Reserve #1 immediately after being approved for Reserve #2 or if I should wait until the certificates were actually issued. Maybe I am reading into it, but to me the wording is a little ambiguous and Citi could turn around and not issue me the certificates since on the issue date I will have had an account closed within the past 18 months. The wiki speaks to the 18 months and it speaks to churning but no where does it say "you can cancel your first card immediately after approval of your second card" or "wait until the certificates are issued from your second card before you cancel your first one". I'm sure there are others who would like to know the answer so they can reset the 18 months as soon as possible. I'm hoping that you can cancel immediately after approval and if anyone did so and received the second bonus it would be great if you could let us know!
Citi sucks when it comes to fine print, because often times it doesn't match reality. I'm not sure if you need to wait till the certs post before canceling card #1, but I would just to be certain unless you get confirmation from someone else who has canceled card #1 and still received the cert.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 3:51 pm

Citi sucks when it comes to fine print, because often times it doesn't match reality. I'm not sure if you need to wait till the certs post before canceling card #1, but I would just to be certain unless you get confirmation from someone else who has canceled card #1 and still received the cert.
I'd wait at least until you get the welcome letter telling you that you qualify for the bonus. If it was me, I'd wait until I had the new card in hand, before canceling the other one. Once you have the card itself, I'm pretty sure the bonus is baked in. But until then you are dealing with Citi aka YMMV.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:09 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL, AC, CX, BA, AGR, IHG, HH, CC, UR, MR, TY
Originally Posted by BringBackTWA
IMHO this would be the worst option as it would not only reset the 18 month rule for the HHonors Reserve card but also likely reset the 18 month rule for the Citi Hilton HHonors Visa. Unless average account age is of great importance to your credit score, I'd steer clear of this one.
I went with changing the product to the Doublecash, as I do not yet have a cashback earning card with Citi. The rep confirmed that the annual fee is due this month, but only stated it would "billed sometime in February." I was informed that the account would take 11 days to fully change over, though he clarified that if the annual fee hits it would be refunded in full.

At this point I am uncertain if a product change qualifies as an account closure, thus resetting the 18 month churn clock. Perhaps someone with more experience can weigh in.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SW Companion
Hilton Reserve

I have had the citi hilton reserve for two years. I spent over $40K last year and currently sit at 210,000 HH points and diamond status. My annual fee is about to hit so I called to ask for a retention offer...they offered to lower my interest rate haha

With the newish 18 month citi no churn language for my hilton card it states that you are not eligible for the two certs if you have opened or closed the reserve card in the previous 18 months. I opened my reserve card two years ago...I may just keep it open and apply again this year. That way, I have neither opened nor closed the account in previous 18 months haha
Old Feb 2, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by cmlsu
I have had the citi hilton reserve for two years. I spent over $40K last year and currently sit at 210,000 HH points and diamond status. My annual fee is about to hit so I called to ask for a retention offer...they offered to lower my interest rate haha

With the newish 18 month citi no churn language for my hilton card it states that you are not eligible for the two certs if you have opened or closed the reserve card in the previous 18 months. I opened my reserve card two years ago...I may just keep it open and apply again this year. That way, I have neither opened nor closed the account in previous 18 months haha
As an Hhonors Diamond, the free systemwide anniversary weekend night stay makes the card a keeper, more than justifies the AF. For those who do not earn it, so should the Gold status (free breakfast, etc).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.