Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by moondog
I'm not sure whether or not I'm the "one person" to which you're referring, but agencies typically don't do so well with requests like 120 days/stay.
I don't think so. Was thinking of the one above whose agent altered their application, then submitted it rather than sending it back to the applicant to fix whatever needed to be fixed.

Originally Posted by davetravels
2) Is it safe to assume that Local ID/Citizenship number = Social Security Number?
Our agent said to put our driver's license number down for this field (1.9). Applied through SF consulate.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 5:40 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Thank you, again, to those above for your help!

Just thinking . . .

I'll be applying in the NYC office on Tuesday, March 28, and going back to pick it up the following Friday, April 7. Do I need to do the express processing? The website says regular processing time is 4 days.

Also, if I enter my drivers license number, should I attach a copy of it?

Last edited by davetravels; Mar 21, 2017 at 5:46 am
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

When you drop off, they will write the pickup time on the slip.

The application doesn't ask for a driver's license (or driver's license number) so I see no point in providing.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
When you drop off, they will write the pickup time on the slip.
I have found answers to some of my question on the "Must See" page of the Consulate's website, but, it has created a few more . . .

Thank you, and I understand now that they will give me a pick-up time, but it says:

"Applicants should pick-up their visas/passports/documents on time. Visa/passport/documents remain uncollected over 90 days will be disposed as unclaimed documents."

So, if they give me a date, something like - April 3, and I won't be back in NYC to pick it up til April 7, would that be considered on time?

Also, it says:

"However, applicants must sign on the visa application form in person."

Does that mean that I should wait to sign the form til I get to the window and sign it in front of an agent?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:51 am

I have found answers to some of my question on the "Must See" page of the Consulate's website, but, it has created a few more . . .

Thank you, and I understand now that they will give me a pick-up time, but it says:

"Applicants should pick-up their visas/passports/documents on time. Visa/passport/documents remain uncollected over 90 days will be disposed as unclaimed documents."

So, if they give me a date, something like - April 3, and I won't be back in NYC to pick it up til April 7, would that be considered on time?

Also, it says:

Does that mean that I should wait to sign the form til I get to the window and sign it in front of an agent?
-April 7 is not >90 days past April 3

-Since you're going to be there anyway, there's no harm in waiting until you get to the window to sign it, but since it is not necessary to apply for visas "in person", I'm guessing something was lost in translation here.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:53 am

-April 7 is not >90 days past April 3

-Since you're going to be there anyway, there's no harm in waiting until you get to the window to sign it, but since it is not necessary to apply for visas "in person", I'm guessing something was lost in translation here.
Both of those are what I figured!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:47 pm

I just noticed this on the website: (Applying for an F visa, which I guess is the correct one)

6. An invitation letter issued by a relevant entity or individual in China. The invitation should contain:

A. Information on the applicant (full name, gender, date of birth, etc.)

B. Information on the planned visit (purpose of visit, arrival and departure dates, place(s) to be visited, relations between the applicant and the inviting entity or individual, financial source for expenditures)

C. Information on the inviting entity or individual (name, contact telephone number, address, official stamp, signature of the legal representative or the inviting individual)

I didn't have to do this last time in 2008. Can somebody give me some info on this? How do I get an invitation letter?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:11 pm

I just noticed this on the website: (Applying for an F visa, which I guess is the correct one)

6. An invitation letter issued by a relevant entity or individual in China. The invitation should contain:

B. Information on the planned visit (purpose of visit, arrival and departure dates, place(s) to be visited, relations between the applicant and the inviting entity or individual, financial source for expenditures)

C. Information on the inviting entity or individual (name, contact telephone number, address, official stamp, signature of the legal representative or the inviting individual)

I didn't have to do this last time in 2008. Can somebody give me some info on this? How do I get an invitation letter?
From post 1465, I got the impression that the purpose of your trip was tourism. If so, you can apply for a tourist visa; those do not have an invitation letter requirement.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: various
A coupl'a things . . . . (til I find a couple more! )

1) The application says: "Please type the answer in capital English letters."

Is printing with a pen OK? I tried searching here. Is there some way to print on the PDF application from the computer?

2) Is it safe to assume that Local ID/Citizenship number = Social Security Number?

3) I'll be carrying this paperwork with me to Mexico City for a 3 day weekend before getting to New York, so, would it be OK to fold the paper, say, in half, or should I use a 9"x12" manila envelope and put some cardboard in it, so the sheets don't get crinkled?

4) Major purpose of visit: I'll tick the box for tourism. Could / should I also put "shopping" in the box marked "other"?

Also, I think I figured out the photo website thing.
1) If NY Consulate does not permit hand filled out forms, use the online fillable form then save to your computer and print out.

2) NO NO NO. NEVER use your Social Security number! Use "N/A" in this field. Chinese Consulates know that US citizens do not have a national ID number system. I wouldn't use drivers license nor any other number.

3) 9x12 manila to keep it flat, put a piece of stiff cardboard as well so the paperwork won't get bent.

4) Stop offering information that isn't required. Check the "Tourism" box and be done with it. Shopping does not qualify as "Other."

I'll be applying in the NYC office on Tuesday, March 28, and going back to pick it up the following Friday, April 7. Do I need to do the express processing? The website says regular processing time is 4 days.

Also, if I enter my drivers license number, should I attach a copy of it?
You'll probably be OK, but the Consulate will be celebrating the Qingming Holiday. Their website says April 4 they will be closed, but I'd be willing to be that they will not do any processing from Saturday April 1 through Tuesday April 4. This could result in a delay. You'll need to ask the Consulate and make a decision on the spot whether to pay the upcharge for fast processing.

Drivers license question already answered--don't use it for the application. Some Consulates require proof of residence in their jurisdiction and a photocopy of drivers license is OK for that, but I don't think NYC is one of these Consulates.

Also, it says:

The time they give you is the earliest you should show up; there isn't a problem if you delay your return for the pickup by a few days. They give you 90 days, at which point they probably send unclaimed passports back to to the governments they belong to.

Translation issue. It should say "applicants must personally sign the application form." Obviously applicants don't need to have their signature witnessed by the Consulate in person, or how would agents ever get to submit client applications?

If you are applying for a tourist visa, the F is not the correct type. You need to apply for an L visa. Their are three methods you may choose from depending on your situation: (a) Group tour participant--letter from the company and supporting materials like itinerary, etc should be provided to you. (b) Invitation from a resident of China (Chinese or foreign)--convenient IF you have a willing friend or family to write the letter. (c) Provide confirmed bookings for entry and exit flights to China, and hotel bookings covering your stay. This is the most common method for individual tourists to use. Note that the flights do not have to be to/from the USA and do not have to be return flights. Also, once you get the visa, you may change plans at will. And yes, this is different from 2008.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by jiejie
1) If NY Consulate does not permit hand filled out forms, use the online fillable form then save to your computer and print out.

I figured out how to get my computer to accept the PDF with fillable boxes.

2) NO NO NO. NEVER use your Social Security number! Use "N/A" in this field. Chinese Consulates know that US citizens do not have a national ID number system. I wouldn't use drivers license nor any other number.

OK, I will put N/A. I didn't really plan to use my SS#.

3) 9x12 manila to keep it flat, put a piece of stiff cardboard as well so the paperwork won't get bent.

OK, I will try very hard to keep it in good condition.

4) Stop offering information that isn't required. Check the "Tourism" box and be done with it. Shopping does not qualify as "Other."

I was thinking that if they knew I was going there to spend some money, it might be a good thing, but, I will leave it blank.

You'll probably be OK, but the Consulate will be celebrating the Qingming Holiday. Their website says April 4 they will be closed, but I'd be willing to be that they will not do any processing from Saturday April 1 through Tuesday April 4. This could result in a delay. You'll need to ask the Consulate and make a decision on the spot whether to pay the upcharge for fast processing.

I'll be glad to pay the $20, but, if I don't need express service, that's even better!

The time they give you is the earliest you should show up; there isn't a problem if you delay your return for the pickup by a few days.

That's what I figured.

Translation issue. It should say "applicants must personally sign the application form." Obviously applicants don't need to have their signature witnessed by the Consulate in person, or how would agents ever get to submit client applications?

That's what I figured.

If you are applying for a tourist visa, the F is not the correct type. You need to apply for an L visa. Their are three methods you may choose from depending on your situation: (a) Group tour participant--letter from the company and supporting materials like itinerary, etc should be provided to you. (b) Invitation from a resident of China (Chinese or foreign)--convenient IF you have a willing friend or family to write the letter. (c) Provide confirmed bookings for entry and exit flights to China, and hotel bookings covering your stay. This is the most common method for individual tourists to use. Note that the flights do not have to be to/from the USA and do not have to be return flights. Also, once you get the visa, you may change plans at will. And yes, this is different from 2008.

From post 1465, I got the impression that the purpose of your trip was tourism. If so, you can apply for a tourist visa; those do not have an invitation letter requirement.
Yes, I realize that I made a mistake with the type of visa, and it should be "L". I was reading the website while I am at work, which is a bad idea for something so important!
Thank you VERY much for all of your help!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:32 pm

OK. I just filled out the visa app. 2 things . . . .

1) Under education. I did not go to college. Do I check "OTHER" and enter high school, or just put "N/A"?

I guess I'll put "high school"

2) Under intended number of entries, of course, I'd like the 10 year multi-entry, but, on the form, the longest listed in the tick box is 1 year multi entry. Should I put 10 year multi-entry in the "OTHER" box?

I found the answer in the other post about the 10 year visas.

Last edited by davetravels; Mar 22, 2017 at 7:00 am
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
My wife and I picked up our 10-year visas last week at the NYC consulate. Waiting outside for an hour before the consulate opens still blows, and it gets a lot more crowded than I remember it being in the past - but if you have your stuff together, you are in and out of there before it hits 9:15 AM on the clocks inside. That said, glad we will not have to go back for more than 6.5 years (which is when my passport expires)
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:34 pm

If you're American (not Canadian) then your ten-year visa will continue to be good after your passport expires. Just carry both old and new passports.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
My wife and I picked up our 10-year visas last week at the NYC consulate. Waiting outside for an hour before the consulate opens still blows, and it gets a lot more crowded than I remember it being in the past - but if you have your stuff together, you are in and out of there before it hits 9:15 AM on the clocks inside. That said, glad we will not have to go back for more than 6.5 years (which is when my passport expires)
Your visa doesn't expire with the passport. Our last trip was on new passports, old visas. One surprise: At exit controls they wanted to see the visa. I had only handed them the new passports at that point because it didn't occur to me they might want the old ones also. The new passport had the entry stamp, the new passport would get the exit stamp, visas are to get into the country.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:47 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
I was just gonna say...keep the old passport. I just entered the other day with my old passport that contains a current visa. Show both passports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.