Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Your Forum Ambassadors are maintaining this guide. Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Visa Information for the People's Republic of China (PRC, Mainland China)

Important: China's visa terms and conditions changed effective 12 Nov 2014 as far as duration, and 1 July 2013 for requirements and procedures. Do not rely on information posted prior to that date.

Note new FT thread regarding up to ten year visa duration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ov-2014-a.html

The PRC allows certain foreigners to transit China without a visa if they will be exiting the country within 24, 72 or 144 hours provided various other conditions are met. Please see the separate China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread and Wikipost for detailed rules and discussion.

The best source of current visa and travel document requirements is IATA'S TIMATIC, as that is what the airlines rely upon to determine whether they will permit you to fly. Star Alliance provides a free, easy-to-use TIMATIC tool to help you identify your exact requirements based on nationality, residency and specific itinerary. The SkyTeam alliance website contains a link which also allows you free use of TIMATIC, including good printouts of the information.

Note that posts made prior to 1 July 2013 have been archived, but are still available for reference at China Visa / Visas Master Thread (ARCHIVED). The old FAQ: Visa-Free Transit / TWOV thread is also closed but available for reference.

China Forum Ambassadors: moondog----------anacapamalibu----------jiejie----------mnredfox
Print Wikipost

China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by 1PercentClub
Interesting.. I'm not going to be particularly busy in DC so I'm tempted to go down there, drop everything off, and have Oasis do the pickup (I just gotta make sure it's really $20). The agencies are all super expensive from what I've found. It's a good $100 per visa and $25 shipping each way. I can literally fly Spirit to DC and stay in an AirBnB for 5 days for less than that. Plus, I get to spend time in DC.

Anyhow, to throw another wrench into all of this: I'm going to be in China for about three days at a time. I'm planning on visiting a neighboring country for a 3 days in the middle of my trip. As a US citizen flying into Beijing, could I get away with the whole 144 hour visa free period? This is probably the wrong thread for that..

The way the timing looks is like this:
Fly into Beijing on the 21st at 2:30 in the evening.
Leave Beijing to go to a neighboring country (not HK FWIW) on the 24th at 1:00 in the evening at the latest..

Return to Beijing 10:00 AM on the 27th
Leave Beijing to go to the US on the 30th at 5:00.

The only hanging "chad" would be that I have two separate reservations. One for my flight in and out of Beijing and one for the neighboring country trip.

Thanks a ton!
Two tickets is not a problem but note that the visa-free transit is Beijing is only 72 hours. I am not sure if your times are am or pm but make sure that it fits within 72 hours.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:10 pm

I suppose that this isn't a standard visa issue for FT members, but I have been told that part time workers in China (just Jiangsu?) will no longer be allowed to receive FECs. For me, at least, this means that my University can't extend my contract unless I switch to full time from 50%. I know that they want me back and they know that I'm not moving to China to work full time, so I suspect that it's not made up.

It seems a bit strange that I'm an expert if I work full time there, but not if I don't, but this may be of interest to others with FEC/residence visa in China.

If someone has better information or an easy way around it that a Chinese university will accept (I have thought of a few ways around, but they won't budge), then I'd love to hear it!

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by moondog
I doubt that anything will change myself, but time will tell.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-to...02909?mod=e2fb

If the new administration feels tightening reciprocal visa rules with China will make good headlines, they'll go ahead.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by painintheuk
I suppose that this isn't a standard visa issue for FT members, but I have been told that part time workers in China (just Jiangsu?) will no longer be allowed to receive FECs. For me, at least, this means that my University can't extend my contract unless I switch to full time from 50%. I know that they want me back and they know that I'm not moving to China to work full time, so I suspect that it's not made up.

It seems a bit strange that I'm an expert if I work full time there, but not if I don't, but this may be of interest to others with FEC/residence visa in China.

If someone has better information or an easy way around it that a Chinese university will accept (I have thought of a few ways around, but they won't budge), then I'd love to hear it!

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
You've actually gotten away with a lot of leniency down in Jiangsu. Most jurisdictions elsewhere in China have for years, been prohibited to issue FEC or Work Permit to any foreigner doing less than full-time work. I'm inclined to think that Jiangsu is just getting some pressure (internal or from Beijing Central) to get in line with elsewhere and adhere strictly to the employment regulations. Perhaps you can negotiate with your employer to creatively describe what "full-time" means in your case.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 2:09 pm

Thanks Jiejie. I had a few creative ideas and I will add this to the list. I may just decide to work more at home. Mrs. PITUK would certainly appreciate that .

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:38 pm

Section 9 of President Trump's new immigration directive orders enforcement of reciprocality: "If a country does not treat United States nationals seeking nonimmigrant visas in a reciprocal manner, the Secretary of State shall adjust the visa validity period, fee schedule, or other treatment to match the treatment of United States nationals by the foreign country, to the extent practicable."

My understanding is that Chinese citizens visiting the U.S. on ten-year visas are normally permitted entry for 90 days, while Americans on ten-year visas are normally permitted a 60-day stay in China. Presumably the State Department will be addressing this lack of reciprocality in accordance with the President's order.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:05 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by 889
Section 9 of President Trump's new immigration directive orders enforcement of reciprocality: "If a country does not treat United States nationals seeking nonimmigrant visas in a reciprocal manner, the Secretary of State shall adjust the visa validity period, fee schedule, or other treatment to match the treatment of United States nationals by the foreign country, to the extent practicable."

My understanding is that Chinese citizens visiting the U.S. on ten-year visas are normally permitted entry for 90 days, while Americans on ten-year visas are normally permitted a 60-day stay in China. Presumably the State Department will be addressing this lack of reciprocality in accordance with the President's order.
I certainly hope so although State has bigger fish to fry right now. How anybody in the State Dept. could agree to an asymmetrical deal, with their own citizens getting the short end of the stick, baffles me. Well, considering the Administration in office at the time the agreement was made--and their p!ss-poor negotiating skills--maybe it doesn't.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:27 am

As I understand the technicalities, it's not the State Department that determines length of stay, it's the immigration officer on arrival, who's part of Homeland Security. So the State Department alone may not be able to change the policy. But if Trump is serious about enforcing reciprocity generally, that's a good sign.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 9:10 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Be careful for what you wish for - between Trump and Xi, they will just whittle down each other's visa privileges, not increasing anybody

(Not my problem until Trump really does need VWP country nationals to attend US consulate interviews)
Old Jan 28, 2017, 10:20 am

The Chinese have always been sticklers for reciprocity, but in one direction only. Trump is simply building a dual carriageway.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by 889
The Chinese have always been sticklers for reciprocity, but in one direction only. Trump is simply building a dual carriageway.
Same can be said for the US. ESTA exclusions come to mind.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 10:26 pm

Not the same at all: the U.S. doesn't wrap ESTA around the excuse of reciprocity. It just does it.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Skywards Silver
Had an interesting response in the UK London office a week ago when presenting a photo of my wife that exactly matches the one in her passport. The request was to remove her small earrings and tie her hair back so that it did not obscure part of one ear. This was checked by the male operatives team leader and still rejected.

When producing a new photo a few days later the female operative asked who had checked and rejected the original photo, and when told just rolled her eyes.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jimthewhiz
Had an interesting response in the UK London office a week ago when presenting a photo of my wife that exactly matches the one in her passport. The request was to remove her small earrings and tie her hair back so that it did not obscure part of one ear. This was checked by the male operatives team leader and still rejected.

When producing a new photo a few days later the female operative asked who had checked and rejected the original photo, and when told just rolled her eyes.
They've always been sticklers for having both ears fully visible. Who knows why...
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:21 pm

Seems like things are easing up for Norwegian citizens nowadays. I got a double entry visa with 30 days of stay on each entry, even though my maximum stay is just a couple of days. Earlier I had been issued 15 and 5 day visas from the embassy here in Oslo depending on length of stay. Things are happening only short after the Norwegian and Chinese governments normalized relations with each other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.