Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic Devices Banned on Flights to US & UK from 10 ME Countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
US/UK Electronics bans discussion

This thread is intended for discussion of how the recent US and UK electronics bans impact travel with discussion.

For more discussion of this topic, please follow the appropriate thread below:

For basic questions, what is/isn't allowed, use this thread in the Travel Safety/Security Practical forum

To discuss the merits of the rules, with the option of political discussion, follow this thread to the Omni-PR forum
(note: there are time/post restrictions for access to Omni)

Political discussion will not be tolerated in this thread.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Electronic Devices Banned on Flights to US & UK from 10 ME Countries

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
Did anyone notice early last year when the US3, while whining about competition from ME3, started cancelling their flight service to/from DXB, DOH, KWI, BAH, etc? No direct service from a majority Muslim country except IST (pre-coup attempt) since? How about code-sharing partners? This does have the appearance of an extension...

New Cancun / island hub for ME3 as a suggestion, anyone?

Sounds like certain airport gift shops may stock up on sudoku/crossword books, notepads and dictaphones, or magnetic chess/checkers/backgammon sets and stuffed animals.
Seatback entertainment upgrades? -- My latest 14-hour international flight in older US3 equipment had open iPads, movie players, laptops, and iphones on in almost all seats - adult or child - since there was no seatback entertainment system.

Originally Posted by RCyyz
That's an interesting opinion piece from The Washington Post. For those who haven't clicked through, the main argument is that this is not security but rather a form of economic warfare against the ME3. Specifically, by degrading the main hubs of the ME3 (by preventing pax from having electronics if you're flying through there), the ME3 "are likely to lose a major amount of business from their most lucrative customers — people who travel in business class and first class".

Last edited by flyzabit; Mar 22, 2017 at 11:30 am
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by k374
In addition, if it was really about security, what do you think is more carefully screened - carry on or checked? Common sense dictates that when you remove your laptop to a separate tray and it goes through xray and is visible and has individual attention the screening is MUCH more thorough than putting it in checked.

So infact, this new rule make things LESS secure not more which is why it is idiotic.
I heard an interview on the radio yesterday where someone familiar with airline technology said that the baggage area on most planes (used for such long-haul flights, at least) is much more able to sustain and isolate a comparable explosion (of the size excepted from a device fitting into somehting like a laptop) than the cabin is, and that's why it's safer to put the same items in checked bags.

Your assumption (that moving the bag to the checked baggage part of the plane just moved the problem there) seems to be based on an assumption that an explosion in any part of the plane produces the exact same effect as an explosion in another part of the plane. Apparently that's incorrect assumption.

How much have you studied the designs of all parts of long-haul planes?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
Answer is very simple: This ban has absolutely NOTHING to do with Security ( It cannot prevent someone with criminal intentions to fly Doha- Rome and connect to a Rome - NY with the same "doctored" piece of electronics) and EVERYTHING to do with obstructing the 3 mega Middle East carriers.
You seem to basing this on the fact that the US ailrines want to obsruct the 3 mega Middle East carriers.

But how does that explain why the UK is doing much the same electronics ban? Is BA just as much against the 3 mega Middle East carriers as the US carriers are? Doesn't BA, in fact, have investments from one of those 3 (which isn't the case for any of the US carriers)?

Any argument about what this is really about has to fit the facts, which includes that the UK has done a similar ban, plus that the US included many other carriers such as Turkish which no US airline has complained about that I know of.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
You seem to basing this on the fact that the US ailrines want to obsruct the 3 mega Middle East carriers.

But how does that explain why the UK is doing much the same electronics ban?
The UK ban has effectively no impact on ME3 carriers. Doha/Dubai/Abu Dhabi are not included in the UK ban neither are Kuwait City/Casablanca.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:25 pm
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Originally Posted by techie
What steps airlines will take in conjunction with airport authorities in order to enforce this ban remains to be seen. Easyjet is the first airline to have started enforcing the ban, so I hope that people's experiences will start to trickle through as days go on.
Airlines could stand to benefit a lot from this -- Easyjet, BA, Ryanair, and many other airlines charge for checked baggage. It would be in their best interest (aside from compliance with government-mandated law) to enforce the most stringent interpretation of this directive.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by BA Humbug
Airlines could stand to benefit a lot from this -- Easyjet, BA, Ryanair, and many other airlines charge for checked baggage. It would be in their best interest (aside from compliance with government-mandated law) to enforce the most stringent interpretation of this directive.
Monarch said that they will increase the max weight of their allowed luggage by 3kg at no charge to compensate for the fact that people would be asked to check certain electronic devices. How other airlines handle it remains to be seen.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
There seems to be a lot of talk about the implications of not having entertainment on board. To me, though, that's a minor issue compared to the far greater hassles that this will cause:

*People won't be able to take their laptops past security to use in lounges, at the gate, or indeed, anywhere at the airport.

*People won't have their laptops, cameras or devices on stopovers when bags have been checked through to final destination. So, for instance, on my 20-hour Istanbul stopover last November, when I went into the city to sightsee, I wouldn't have had my camera if this rule were in place.

*Business travellers (or any travellers) who travel light / carry-on only won't be able to have any laptops or devices bigger than a phone AT ALL. Not unless they're willing to take a second bag with them expressly to check in these items.

*Already plenty mentioned, but worth reiterating: Loss, theft or breakage of expensive and sensitive equipment is going to skyrocket.

*Not to mention, most travel conventions limit the liability of an airline in the case of lost or damaged baggage to an absurdly low dollar figure, which won't extend to cover the replacement cost of electronics if a bag goes missing or gets delayed.

*Some electronic devices, like spare USB batteries / chargers, can't go in the cargo hold for safety reasons. This would effectively prohibit them from travelling at all.

The only feasible solution I could see for airlines to comply with this would be a sort of valet gate-check service for electronic devices, where you check them when you board and get them back when you disembark. However, I can't see how this possibly has any security benefit, since it would mean having to hand-search every passenger at the gate when they board, rather than at the expressly set up security checkpoints designed to do just that.

Basically, this is a cluster***k,
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:09 pm

Well there can be a loophole.

Imagine a (fictional) flight CPT-DXB-LAX.

Checkin at CPT for EK771: You drop your bags and the clerk will tell you that you should check in laptops, etc. You ignore that an keep in in the carry-on.
Then go to security where they check the boarding pass to be allowed into the security and they don't check the final destination. Then toy will be lined up and after a wait in the line the actual X-ray takes place. Everything is OK, including laptops as they don't know where you are going to.
The CPT-DXB leg it is still legal to take a laptop.

In DXB: You enter the big terminal building and go to security. The boarding pass for EK215 to LAX is checked for access to security only, then you will be in an (long) line. After that the actual X-ray checking takes place, the guys have no idea what your destination is so the laptop is OK.
Go on to the plane and voilà, enjoy the 16 hour flight to LAX with the laptop.

To prevent this, all security staff worldwide should be instructed to check the final destination at every security check X-ray tunnel itself, which will generate for more hassle, extra costs for airports and airlines.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by airsurfer
Well there can be a loophole.

Imagine a (fictional) flight CPT-DXB-LAX.

Checkin at CPT for EK771: You drop your bags and the clerk will tell you that you should check in laptops, etc. You ignore that an keep in in the carry-on.
Then go to security where they check the boarding pass to be allowed into the security and they don't check the final destination.
Everything is OK, including laptops as they don't know where you are going to.
The CPT-DXB leg it is still legal to take a laptop.

In DXB: You enter the big terminal building and go to security. The boarding pass for EK215 to LAX is checked for access to security only and when the actual checking takes place, the guys have no idea what your destination is so the laptop is OK.
Go on to the plane and voilà, enjoy the 16 hour flight to LAX with the laptop.

To prevent this, all security staff worldwide should be instructed to check the final destination at every security check itself, which will generate for more hassle, extra costs for airports and airlines.
As it currently stands this would work but the deadline to comply is probably to put in place measures to check the passengers prior to boarding i.e. x-ray/bag searches when entering the gate area which already happens to SSSS'd passengers in DXB but just extend it to all passengers.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sdsearch

But how does that explain why the UK is doing much the same electronics ban? Is BA just as much against the 3 mega Middle East carriers as the US carriers are? Doesn't BA, in fact, have investments from one of those 3 (which isn't the case for any of the US carriers)?

Any argument about what this is really about has to fit the facts, which includes that the UK has done a similar ban, plus that the US included many other carriers such as Turkish which no US airline has complained about that I know of.
The UK ban is materially different than the US ban. The UK is allowing more electronics than the US is allowing. The list of countries blacklisted is also different. The deadline for ban enforcement is also different for the UK than for the US.

The UK ban does not apply to the ME3. The US ban does apply to the ME3.

The differences in the bans make it such that I can more easily use the ME3 to go to London than to use them to go to the US.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malmostoso
Whether you will ship your electronics or just put them in the hold: please take a FULL backup of your devices (either on a USB drive or on the cloud), and then encrypt your disks.

Devices are replaceable, data is not.
Wow - This will result in a gigantic increase in the "re-sale" market for IT equipment.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Sigwx
Given it affects BA at IST, RUH,JED,BEI,AMM,CAI to LHR only I doubt it will be that difficult to set up and run. Any subsequent delays will be par for the course ex these stations whist the system/restriction beds in. I am more concerned about all the extra Li-ion batts in the hold.
In the case of the UK there's a dozen or so airlines affected not just BA and more airports than those you name
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by kmersh
So I emailed my brother as to what exactly he did, but I have not heard back yet.

What he did say was that he went to a FedEx World Service Center (checking FedEx.com there a few and he was not clear as to which one). He bought (again unsure where, either from FedEx directly or some other store) a laptop box and inserted his laptop into it along with his iPad, sealed it and took it to the FedEx World Service Center for shipping, though I am sure that if you are staying at a hotel you could probably arrange to have FedEx pick it up at the hotel.

He said it was approximately $200 sending it FedEx International Economy, but felt that was cheap as he was expecting it to be closer to $400, so he was happy and felt it worth the piece of mind knowing that FedEx is reliable and trackable.
@ kmersh, thanks so much for the additional details and information for FedEx.
- do you happen to know if your brother insured the shipment contents and for what insured amount if he did?

I am staying at the Grosvenor in the Marina district and will also try to ask them for any feedback they may have.

Please do share with us any additional information you may find out if you hear back more.

Last edited by vg247; Mar 22, 2017 at 5:05 pm
Old Mar 22, 2017, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Tisbutascratch
In the case of the UK there's a dozen or so airlines affected not just BA and more airports than those you name
Yes you are correct. My comment has been merged into this thread from a BAEC thread on this forum.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
I literally bought noise cancelling headphones hours before news of this broke out.

Going to suck if they cannot be bought on board with me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.