Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA and the War on Drugs

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: TSA
The software draws a box around objects fitting criteria. This is an alarm. All alarms must be resolved...
Old Dec 22, 2015, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eyecue
The software draws a box around objects fitting criteria. This is an alarm. All alarms must be resolved...
If you read the marketing brochures for every single piece of hardware the TSA owns, you will read that every single one of them can be calibrated to detect drugs. You claimed you couldn't store and transmit <deleted by moderator> images even after some brave American leaked the procurement specs proving otherwise.

I don't trust anyone in the TSA for a nanosecond who claims you don't actively look for drugs because you bought the hardware to do it.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 19, 2016 at 9:19 am Reason: Terms not used in this forum
Old Dec 23, 2015, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by eyecue
What kind of criteria?

Mike
Old Dec 23, 2015, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeef
What kind of criteria?

Mike
Eeyecue is a fly by poster. Doubt you will get a response much less an answer.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA agent in effect admits to looking for drugs

LAX, terminal 5.

They go digging through my bag, the item of interest turns out to be a bottle of lite salt. The agent explains the x-ray can't tell the difference between salt and certain other powders.

Afterwards, I realized that the only powder they should care about is gunpowder and the lack of anything that could serve as a pressure vessel would mean it was of no threat, either. Thus he must have meant drugs.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
LAX, terminal 5.

They go digging through my bag, the item of interest turns out to be a bottle of lite salt. The agent explains the x-ray can't tell the difference between salt and certain other powders.

Afterwards, I realized that the only powder they should care about is gunpowder and the lack of anything that could serve as a pressure vessel would mean it was of no threat, either. Thus he must have meant drugs.
Anthrax
Old Dec 2, 2016, 6:13 am

LAX, terminal 5.

You know they are trained to know what drugs look like so that they can flag them; ergo, screeners are trained to look for drugs.

OTOH, maybe TSA assumes that most of its screeners already know what drugs look like so they forego that part of the training.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
You know they are trained to know what drugs look like so that they can flag them; ergo, screeners are trained to look for drugs.

OTOH, maybe TSA assumes that most of its screeners already know what drugs look like so they forego that part of the training.
Do you have proof they are trained to look for drugs?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:35 am

LAX, terminal 5.

TATP
PETN
potasium nitrate
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gingersnaps
Do you have proof they are trained to look for drugs?
One of the screening clerks who posts here posted fairly recently in another thread that he had been trained to look for drugs.

My personal experience was a couple of years ago when Mrs Flies and I were flying home from SEA. For some reason, she had a container of bath powder with her. Sure enough, she was flagged for a bag check and the container of powder was the only item pulled. (FYI, it was a non-metallic container and the powder was loose.)

The clerk opened the container and saw the white powder. The conversation between us went something like this:

Clerk: "Be careful when you travel with powder like this because you know what it looks like, right?"

Flies: I feigned ignorance and said, "No, I don't follow you. What DOES it look like?"

Clerk: "Cocaine..."

Flies: Feigning ignorance once again: "Wow, so you guys search for drugs?"

Clerk: "We know what to look for..."
Old Dec 2, 2016, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
TATP
PETN
potasium nitrate
Given how infrequently such searches result in a functional ETD use to detect such substances, the above chemical list is probably not all that commonly the reason for these searches.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
One of the screening clerks who posts here posted fairly recently in another thread that he had been trained to look for drugs.

My personal experience was a couple of years ago when Mrs Flies and I were flying home from SEA. For some reason, she had a container of bath powder with her. Sure enough, she was flagged for a bag check and the container of powder was the only item pulled. (FYI, it was a non-metallic container and the powder was loose.)

The clerk opened the container and saw the white powder. The conversation between us went something like this:

Clerk: "Be careful when you travel with powder like this because you know what it looks like, right?"

Flies: I feigned ignorance and said, "No, I don't follow you. What DOES it look like?"

Clerk: "Cocaine..."

Flies: Feigning ignorance once again: "Wow, so you guys search for drugs?"

Clerk: "We know what to look for..."
West was a military MP. Most likely he was trained by the Army on drug identification. He never said that TSA provided that training.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TATP
PETN
potasium nitrate
Those aren't powders, though, are they?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 4:39 pm

Potasium Nitrate is a powder and very can be made to be very dangerous. Once ignited it is deadly in many forms. Depending on what you mix it with or even on its own. Im going to stop now and you can do your own research. If you have not terrified yourself you have not done enough research. There is another powder that would fly thru any current security screening that is even more scary. I think we should limit what is discussed. I do not want to make it easy for some crazy person or wanna be terrorist. That said you should report anything suspicious when you travel.

Last edited by Centurion; Dec 2, 2016 at 4:49 pm
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Centurion
Potasium Nitrate is a powder and very can be made to be very dangerous. Once ignited it is deadly in many forms. Depending on what you mix it with or even on its own. Im going to stop now and you can do your own research. If you have not terrified yourself you have not done enough research. There is another powder that would fly thru any current security screening that is even more scary. I think we should limit what is discussed. I do not want to make it easy for some crazy person or wanna be terrorist. That said you should report anything suspicious when you travel.
I guess potassium nitrate plus another chemical could be a danger. By itself it only could make a fire nastier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.