Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA and the War on Drugs

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2015, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it's a matter that substantial blocks of organic material without structure normally draw an inspection. Thus any large package of drugs other than pot should have been inspected.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If the TSA screener sees something on xray and thinks it may be WEI then that is the point they can call for a more detailed screening.

Drugs present no threat to commercial aviation and for TSA to call for searches on suspected drugs violates the Limited Administrative Search doctrine allowed TSA to search for WEI.
..and they don't have to explain to any judge or attorney what they saw on the X-Ray that might have been a prohibited item and what prohibited item it resembled. The only thing they have to say is: "I think I saw something."
Old Dec 18, 2015, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's the article.

The several on-line articles all have to major flows:

1. All of the writers think that smuggling pot through a TSA checkpoint is a threat to civil aviation security;

2. All of the writers think that presence of pot in a bag would trigger a search.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by gingersnaps
Lets assume it is true that TSA does not look for drugs.
Lets also assume that because TSA does not look drugs, that TSA does not train its screeners on what drugs look like on a xray machine.

Assume those two are true, can screeners be expected to detect drugs?

I bring this up, because once again, a screener is accused of drug smuggling.

"Kiana Scott Clark, 28, of San Mateo, was arrested Wednesday on a federal grand jury indictment charging her with conspiring to distribute controlled substances and conspiring to defraud the United States by obstructing, impeding and interfering with aviation security functions of the TSA.

According to a federal Department of Justice news release, Clark operated an X-ray machine at the Oakland airport, where she allowed unnamed co-conspirators to clear the checkpoint without the required screening of their carry-on luggage.

If TSA does look for drugs, and does not train its employees to look for drugs, how could an x-ray operator be responsible for not calling a back check on bag with nothing "prohibited" in it?

Assuming, TSA does not look drugs nor train employees to look for drugs, wouldn't it be an abuse of authority for a screener to request extra screening when there is no apparent prohibit item?
Let's assume that the article is being truthful.

Let's assume that this statement is true:

Clark operated an X-ray machine at the Oakland airport, where she allowed unnamed co-conspirators to clear the checkpoint without the required screening of their carry-on luggage.
Now, it doesn't say that Clark "allowed unnamed co-conspirators to clear the checkpoint without screening their carry-on luggage for weed/drugs". It says, "without the required screening of their carry-on luggage".

To me, this statement means that she allowed her buddies to take carry-on bags into the sterile area without being screened. Period.

And that is a problem - all carry-ons must be screened for WEI. As critical as I am of TSA and their violations of the 4th Amendment, I fully support the x-ray screening of all carry-on luggage for WEI. I do not support searching specifically for drugs, as smuggled drugs do not present a threat to aviation security in and of themselves, and the search for drugs is a criminal investigation that cannot legally be conducted without warrant, probable cause, or articulable suspicion.

So, we get back to the statement - it didn't say she failed to screen for drugs, it said she failed to screen at all. And yes, failure to screen at all IS a problem and is certainly worth terminating her employment and initiating a criminal investigation. Which, presumably, turned up the illegal smuggling ring and led to the criminal indictment.

So even if your the most ardent pothead in the country and feel that it should be available freely at any liquor store, you should still have a problem with this particular case, because it involves a screener allowing unscreened bags into the sterile area. Why she did it (to allow someone to smuggle weed) is irrelevant. The fact that she did it, IS.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 4:35 pm

WillCAD, That is an interesting intoretation.

The specific reference to her operating the xray suggest something different to me. I suspect the case against her is very thin. The govenrment would have to prove she did not perform "the required screening".

This suggest to me they have xray images of the carryon item from the xray she operated and she knowing allowed prohibited items in i.e knive, watet etc. OR, they will claim "you should have checked this bag".

If there was no obvious prohibited item in the bag, then the govenent does not have much of a case against her concerning not screening items. She would likely had to violate the law (adminstrative search authority) to request additional screening on items that by law/policy did not require it.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The specific reference to her operating the xray suggest something different to me. I suspect the case against her is very thin. The govenrment would have to prove she did not perform "the required screening".

This suggest to me they have xray images of the carryon item from the xray she operated and she knowing allowed prohibited items in i.e knive, watet etc. OR, they will claim "you should have checked this bag".

If there was no obvious prohibited item in the bag, then the govenent does not have much of a case against her concerning not screening items. She would likely had to violate the law (administrative search authority) to request additional screening on items that by law/policy did not require it.
I would think her defense attorney would WANT to have the x-ray images revealed during discovery in order to show that she allowed no WEI through her x-ray machine. If she sneaked the bags around the checkpoint without being screened, that's another issue entirely. But, if she simply ignored the drugs, which are not WEI, and performed the rest of the screening correctly, the USG has no case. If it ever came to this, the USG would claim state's secrets and not allow the x-ray images to be revealed during discovery. Then, the USG would have no case. Where's F. Lee Bailey when you need him?
Old Dec 19, 2015, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If there was no obvious prohibited item in the bag, then the govenent does not have much of a case against her concerning not screening items. She would likely had to violate the law (adminstrative search authority) to request additional screening on items that by law/policy did not require it.
In my experience large blobs of organic material draw TSA inspection, whether carry-on or checked. A large bag of drugs would be a blob of organic material. I think what they must be saying is that there were shapes on the x-ray that should have been inspected but weren't.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
It appears someone got busted and ratted, or sold out a TSA screener.

It's more of a compliance issue of following the law, making the TSA Sreener a liability.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
In my experience large blobs of organic material draw TSA inspection, whether carry-on or checked. A large bag of drugs would be a blob of organic material. I think what they must be saying is that there were shapes on the x-ray that should have been inspected but weren't.
Are TSA screeners taught that organic blobs likely represent possible drugs? If that is what's going on then TSA screeners are violating the carve out for limited administrative inspections.

I am not in favor of illegal drug trade but stand strongly against illegal searches by government actors.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Time to carry around loose tea leaves in thin wooden boxes inside cabin baggage. There is no good reason for a bag/bid with just loose leaves to be subjected to a domestic CONUS inspection by the TSA. But my bet is that some screener is going to jump on them under the "see something, say something" nonsense sold to the country.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Are TSA screeners taught that organic blobs likely represent possible drugs? If that is what's going on then TSA screeners are violating the carve out for limited administrative inspections.

I am not in favor of illegal drug trade but stand strongly against illegal searches by government actors.
I don't know what they look like but in my experience a bag will always be opened and a carry-on will be checked because they can't resolve it. I think it's the blob without structure that causes the problem.

The reason I excluded pot is that density seems to matter--the same sort of thing of low density material doesn't draw a search.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:31 am

"The reason I excluded pot is that density seems to matter--the same sort of thing of low density material doesn't draw a search."

Please, let's not get caught up in sophisticated physical/chemical parameters
like density; remember we are dealing with feeble-minded TSA
agents in this discussion who got their jobs from pizza box ads.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I don't know what they look like but in my experience a bag will always be opened and a carry-on will be checked because they can't resolve it. I think it's the blob without structure that causes the problem.

The reason I excluded pot is that density seems to matter--the same sort of thing of low density material doesn't draw a search.
So a baggie of marijuana would seem to me not draw attention since its density is much less than a compressed brick yet that doesn't seem to be the case with TSA.

I honestly believe that TSA is engaged in illegal searches for drugs.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:05 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by yandosan
"Please, let's not get caught up in sophisticated physical/chemical parameters like density; remember we are dealing with feeble-minded TSA agents in this discussion who got their jobs from pizza box ads.
I just love your reference to "dense" in this sentence.

(Not sure about the US, but in Australia, somewhat who is less than intelligent is often described as "dense".

Dave
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by thadocta
I just love your reference to "dense" in this sentence.

(Not sure about the US, but in Australia, somewhat who is less than intelligent is often described as "dense".

Dave
Same here!

On another note, this whole thread is yet another argument in favor of decriminalization: Make the TSA's life easier.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.