Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Security layers at US airports 'simply missing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A federal watchdog told Congress on Tuesday that a recent covert audit of U.S. airports found layers of security were “simply missing,” in the latest undercover investigation to expose gaps in Transportation Security Administration procedures.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015.../?intcmp=hpbt1

DHS IG testimony before Congress seems to be a partial rehash of the 95% failure rate to detect target items but also seems to open the door on broader problems at TSA. Seems Neffenger is intent on taking action to address TSA issues however I'm concerned those actions will impact travelers in a negative way.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:39 pm

I didn't see the hearing, so I can't comment on anything other than the quotes in the article. Having said that ... the quotes in the article are really content-free.

"I am hopeful that the days of TSA sweeping its problems under the rug and simply ignoring the findings and recommendations … are coming to an end." Really? Only "hopeful"? The buck stops at your desk; why are you only "hopeful"? Why can't you simply proclaim that those days are over? (Is it because, as Rep. Mica stated, "the system cannot be fixed"?)

He vowed to "never take his focus off improving the system". I'm sure every previous administrator said that.

He was "greatly disturbed" by the findings. I suppose that's slightly better that some administrators who would've tried to explain away the findings.

"My immediate priority for TSA is determining root causes and implementing solutions." Of course, as Boggie Dog noted, "implementing solutions" could just as easily mean restricting passenger liberty as improving TSA's processes.

In short ... yawn. Wake me when someone announces an actual change to TSA.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 5:33 am

As long as FSDs and individual screeners have the authority to make specific policy for a specific airport (FSD) or, as with screeners, have the ability to arbitrarily forbid any item, TSA will be plagued with failures.

They need to shorten the forbidden list, allow people to keep their shoes on, and do away with the liquids folly. Give competent screeners less to look for and they just might do a better job.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
The problem is that to a great extent, Neffenger/HQ have limited ability to "implement solutions" - precisely because of what petaluma1 alludes to - the consistent inconsistency, right down to the individual screener level.

HQ wanted to 'implement' the acceptance of the NEXUS card as valid ID. We all saw how well that went and how long it took to become widely accepted.

We've had 'good apple' TSOs telling us for several years now that if you are physically incapable of assuming and holding the position in the NoS, you are not an 'opt out'. I can guarantee you that if you go to PHX T2 today, you will find it's a different story - and someone else posted recently about getting the same "You are an OPT-OUT - just like Sen. John Mccain!" at a different airport.

Pistole himself publicly apologized to a man whose ostomy bag was handled so roughly during a search that it ruptured. That same man was man-handled again at the same airport a few months later. More inconsistency.

If Neffenger wants consistently high performance, he might want to reconsider the 'consistent inconsistency' policy.

I don't think he will.

What Neffenger should do is go through multiple checkpoints all over the country. Go to PHX and see the Pre enrollment booth - and then find an open and staffed Pre lane during rush hour - or at any time. He should go through in a wheelchair and see the dignity and respect he may - or may not - get. He should go through pretending not to speak English. He should show up without his ID and see how the process is handled at multiple airports. He should check an Ipad and a fake Rolex in his luggage and see if they arrive. He should put something in his checked luggage that he knows will/should trigger a search - and then see if his "TSA-approved" lock gets cut or if the TSOs leave the 'been here' note.

He should try talking to TSOs during these activities. Ask why the Pre lane isn't available. Try to expain to a PHX TSO that he is not opting out (and being unpatriotic and giving the TSOs heartburn), he is physically incapable of assuming and holding the position. Put in a report for a stolen item and watch how TSA (doesn't) handle it.

He needs to do all of this himself, witness first hand what's going on. I suspect he would like to dismiss the pax as whiners. If he personally does the things I listed above, he's going to witness for himself what his TSOs are focusing on. A TSO who is barking at a pax is compromising his/her situational awareness and focusing on the pax instead of the task at hand - determining if there's any contraband.

Hint: it's not dangers to aviation safety. It's "lifelike replicas", crotches, water bottles, drugs, fake IDs - and personal conversations and cell phones.

Last edited by chollie; Nov 4, 2015 at 9:57 am
Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015.../?intcmp=hpbt1

DHS IG testimony before Congress seems to be a partial rehash of the 95% failure rate to detect target items but also seems to open the door on broader problems at TSA. Seems Neffenger is intent on taking action to address TSA issues however I'm concerned those actions will impact travelers in a negative way.
Yep, you know we will pay dearly for this.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
The problem is that to a great extent, Neffenger/HQ have limited ability to "implement solutions" - precisely because of what petaluma1 alludes to - the consistent inconsistency, right down to the individual screener level.

........snipped.......

He needs to do all of this himself, witness first hand what's going on. I suspect he would like to dismiss the pax as whiners. If he personally does the things I listed above, he's going to witness for himself what his TSOs are focusing on. A TSO who is barking at a pax is compromising his/her situational awareness and focusing on the pax instead of the task at hand - determining if there's any contraband.

Hint: it's not dangers to aviation safety. It's "lifelike replicas", crotches, water bottles, drugs, fake IDs - and personal conversations and cell phones.
It's been years but it was suggested that TSA use a form of secret shoppers to evaluate the checkpoint experience. I don't know if the idea ever made it up to management but I think it would fit in with your suggestion. I'm not sure that Neffenger could travel without being identified.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 3:48 pm

It's been years but it was suggested that TSA use a form of secret shoppers to evaluate the checkpoint experience. I don't know if the idea ever made it up to management but I think it would fit in with your suggestion. I'm not sure that Neffenger could travel without being identified.
I think you're wrong about Neffenger being widely recognized by the front-line folks. That said, I don't think these folks 'get it' unless they or someone very very close to them experiences it. In many cases, even if it happens to someone close to them, if they don't witness it, they believe there might have been 'inadvertent' provocation by the pax or it was a one-off that is being taken too seriously.

Sen. Clare McCaskill stupidly prated about TSA's 'love pats' when they were introduced. Fast forward a bit, and she openly spoke about a particular female TSO at her home airport, claiming that when she saw that TSO, she tensed up because she knew it was going to be ugly. Rand Paul somehow didn't have a problem with what was going on at his home airport - until TSA detained him and suddenly he 'got it'.

Nappy was too gutless to undergo a public grope to show us all how innocuous it was. Pistole was at least honest enough to admit that it was meant to be uncomfortable and he was.

If Neffenger doesn't get out there himself, he's just going to be another figurehead who listens to the same shills that seem to have convinced Hawley, Nappie, Pistole and Johnson to ignore pax complaints because they're just media-driven hype.

In particular, he's not going to fully understand things unless he's gone through a lot of gropes himself. When he realizes how invasive the gropes are while still leaving gaping vulnerabilities, perhaps he will rethink the notion of doubling down on the gropes to pass the Red Team tests.

He might also note how distracting TSO cellphones and personal conversations are.

Best of all, he should try to escalate to an FSD or ask for the (supposedly) always-available TSA customer person (forget title).

I don't think he's that committed.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 3:58 pm

Homeland Security Inspector General John Roth says a second round of testing shows TSA is still missing major security breaches.

In September 2015, we completed and distributed our report on our most recent round of covert testing. The results are classified at the Secret level, and the Department and this Committee have been provided a copy of our classified report. TSA justifiably classifies at the Secret level the validated test results; any analysis, trends, or comparison of the results of our testing; and specific vulnerabilities uncovered during testing. Additionally, TSA considers other information protected from disclosure as Sensitive Security Information.

While I cannot talk about the specifics in this setting, I am able to say that we conducted the audit with sufficient rigor to satisfy the standards contained within the Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards, that the tests were conducted by auditors within our Office of Audits without any special knowledge or training, and that the test results were disappointing and troubling. We ran multiple tests at eight different airports of different sizes, including large category X airports across the country, and tested airports using private screeners as part of the Screening Partnership Program.

The results were consistent across every airport. Our testing was designed to test checkpoint operations in real world conditions. It was not designed to test specific, discrete segments of checkpoint operations, but rather the system as a whole. The failures included failures in the technology, failures in TSA procedures, and human error. We found layers of security simply missing.

It would be misleading to minimize the rigor of our testing, or to imply that our testing was not an accurate reflection of the effectiveness of the totality of aviation security.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ND Sol
Homeland Security Inspector General John Roth says a second round of testing shows TSA is still missing major security breaches.
I doubt that making the screening experience more pleasant for travelers is even on the TSA To Do List.

Neffenger is certainly facing an uphill battle at TSA and I will be very surprised if he can overcome the entrenched civil service deadwood.

Neffenger is going to be bouncing around while making little impact on anything, hence my suggestion of Nerf Ball as Neffenger's nickname.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Nerf balls dont bounce.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 1:40 am

Programs: QFF
The only way to fix TSA will be to disband it and start over.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 5:35 am

I doubt that making the screening experience more pleasant for travelers is even on the TSA To Do List.

Neffenger is certainly facing an uphill battle at TSA and I will be very surprised if he can overcome the entrenched civil service deadwood.

Neffenger is going to be bouncing around while making little impact on anything, hence my suggestion of Nerf Ball as Neffenger's nickname.
As always, I'm hoping for the best, but I can't see him accomplishing much.

I will not be surprised if he gets on board for some ridiculously expensive new piece of hardware in a desperate effort to improve red team scores.

It will be interesting to watch what he does with Pre. I personally have always wondered if TSA ever analyzed the pax base before predicting how many people would sign up and how much money that would generate. Now it's possibly the most inconsistent and unpredictable element in a messy situation.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As always, I'm hoping for the best, but I can't see him accomplishing much.

I will not be surprised if he gets on board for some ridiculously expensive new piece of hardware in a desperate effort to improve red team scores.

It will be interesting to watch what he does with Pre. I personally have always wondered if TSA ever analyzed the pax base before predicting how many people would sign up and how much money that would generate. Now it's possibly the most inconsistent and unpredictable element in a messy situation.
Revenue generation should not even be in TSA's vocabulary. Effective and efficient security screening should be the focus of TSA. That does not mean throwing megabucks at the issue.

I'm afraid if the suspected cause of the Russian airliner downing is confirmed that TSA will invent some new draconion procedure to further abuse travelers.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
(Neffenger) should try talking to TSOs during these activities. Ask why the Pre lane isn't available. Try to expain to a PHX TSO that he is not opting out (and being unpatriotic and giving the TSOs heartburn), he is physically incapable of assuming and holding the position. Put in a report for a stolen item and watch how TSA (doesn't) handle it.

All valid points and good suggestions. Unfortunately, none of this will ever happen because, ultimately, absolutely no one working at TSA has any desire to do anything (other than lip-service) to actually improve either the passenger experience or actual security. Some TSA employees will talk a good game - and some of those individuals post here - but no one will actually do anything that might upset the status quo.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T-the-B
All valid points and good suggestions. Unfortunately, none of this will ever happen because, ultimately, absolutely no one working at TSA has any desire to do anything (other than lip-service) to actually improve either the passenger experience or actual security. Some TSA employees will talk a good game - and some of those individuals post here - but no one will actually do anything that might upset the status quo.
They removed the biggest stakeholders from the debate, frequent business travelers, via ExtortionCheck, which also kept the airlines happy. Mission accomplished.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.