Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Dear America, I Saw You Naked'

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Post 'Dear America, I Saw You Naked'

Worth a read...

And yes, we were laughing. Confessions of an ex-TSA agent.

On Jan. 4, 2010, when my boss saw my letter to the editor in the New York Times, we had a little chat.

It was rare for the federal security director at Chicago O’Hare to sit down with her floor-level Transportation Security Administration officers—it usually presaged a termination—and so I was nervous as I settled in across the desk from her. She was a woman in her forties with sharp blue eyes that seemed to size you up for placement in a spreadsheet. She held up a copy of the newspaper, open to the letters page. My contribution, under the headline “To Stop a Terrorist: No Lack of Ideas,” was circled in blue pen.
http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...#ixzz2ryc8HQWT
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
That was interesting reading. It was full of stuff like this (that should come as no surprise to most of us):
We quickly found out the trainer was not kidding: Officers discovered that the machines were good at detecting just about everything besides cleverly hidden explosives and guns. The only thing more absurd than how poorly the full-body scanners performed was the incredible amount of time the machines wasted for everyone.
Thank yu for sharing!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
That was interesting reading. It was full of stuff like this (that should come as no surprise to most of us):
And this:

Most of my co-workers found humor in the I.O. room on a cruder level. Just as the long-suffering American public waiting on those security lines suspected, jokes about the passengers ran rampant among my TSA colleagues: Many of the images we gawked at were of overweight people, their every fold and dimple on full awful display.
The article could be titled 'When Paranoia Proves to be Reasoned Thinking.'
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I hope this is a watershed moment in the TSA's existence. Don't forget to snap photos of the TSA checkpoints, particularly the agents and submit them to http://tsasecuritytheater.tumblr.com
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Unfortunately, none of this stuff is really news to those of us who have been on FT for a while.

But I look forward to his book. I'll probably buy it and try to loan it to my friends who are not interested in aviation security because they don't fly.

But I'd really love to see a copy of this book given gratis to every senator and representative in the US Congress.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
...But I'd really love to see a copy of this book given gratis to every senator and representative in the US Congress.
Good idea. I'd certainly buy copies for my Senators and Congressperson.

I still can't believe that they can't see how toxic the TSA is. TSA lost all credibility for me when they decided to x-ray everybody and take naked pics. Any agency that thinks it is okay to violate travelers' health and dignity in such ways is an agency that clearly lacks fundamental good judgment and common sense, and I cannot trust anything the TSA says or does because of it.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schmurrr
...I cannot trust anything the TSA says or does because of it.
I personally enhance 'TSA' to 'federal government.'
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I wonder what the official TSA response from Blogger Bob will be. I thought the article was well done. I hope it goes viral and is picked up by all the major news sites.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
I wonder what the official TSA response from Blogger Bob will be. I thought the article was well done. I hope it goes viral and is picked up by all the major news sites.
If he addresses it at all, it will be 'one rogue agent does not represent the views and actions of thousands of great agents putting their lives on the line (and hands on you and your belongings) every day to keep the skies safe. TSA respects every pax's dignity while striving to bla-bla...'
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
If he addresses it at all, it will be 'one rogue agent does not represent the views and actions of thousands of great agents putting their lives on the line (and hands on you and your belongings) every day to keep the skies safe. TSA respects every pax's dignity while striving to bla-bla...'
I suspect they will ignore it because Bobby is way too busy compiling the week's gun statistics and figuring out how to make it different than last week.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:51 am

I wonder what the official TSA response from Blogger Bob will be.
Originally Posted by chollie
More likely, it'll be along the lines of "this information is dated ... most of the complaints are about stuff we've changed like privacy filters on the scanners ... we're much better now than we were then".
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
More likely, it'll be along the lines of "this information is dated ... most of the complaints are about stuff we've changed like privacy filters on the scanners ... we're much better now than we were then".
No doubt they've updated their code words too...

What Those TSA Guys Are Really Saying

Definitions in “The Insider’s TSA Dictionary” taken from James Harrington’s blog, “Taking Sense Away.”

10-100: Originally, CB radio lingo for a bathroom break. This is what some TSA officers say when they’re tired of their co-workers.

Alfalfa: TSA malespeak for an attractive female passenger.

[per TOS, trimmed for respect to copyrights - mods]

Last edited by essxjay; Feb 1, 2014 at 2:41 pm Reason: trimmed for respect to copyrights
Old Jan 31, 2014, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some Great Quotes From The Politico Article

Interestingly, he confirmed much of what we have suspected or even joked about: Politico:

Most TSA officers I talked to told me they felt the agency’s day-to-day operations represented an abuse of public trust and funds.
...my co-workers at the airport didn’t know Algeria from a medical condition...
I.O. room ["voyeur room"] duty quickly devolved into an unofficial break. It was the one place in the airport free of surveillance cameras, since the TSA had assured the public that no nude images of passengers would be stored on any recording device, closed circuit cameras included.

Last edited by essxjay; Feb 1, 2014 at 2:42 pm Reason: trimmed for respect to copyrights
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
Articles like this are why I want to carry on 5oz jars of urine on every flight
Old Jan 31, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by Schmurrr
Good idea. I'd certainly buy copies for my Senators and Congressperson.

I still can't believe that they can't see how toxic the TSA is.
Of course they do. But fear of being blamed if something happens and jeopardizes their re-election will keep them from doing anything other than making sound bites of feigned outrage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.