Wiki Posts
Search

'Dear America, I Saw You Naked'

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by WillCAD
But I'd really love to see a copy of this book given gratis to every senator and representative in the US Congress.
Someone should suggest it to his publisher.

Cheers.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Of course they do. But fear of being blamed if something happens and jeopardizes their re-election will keep them from doing anything other than making sound bites of feigned outrage.
Or they simply don't care. While I can go along with most of the hysteria on this topic (especially when there are questions over the efficacy of the machines, suggesting the whole thing is therefore pointless!), I really couldn't care less about it - nor, I'd wager, do the majority of the American public.

Although people moan non-stop about how awful and evil government is (particularly Americans!), I personally think it's apathy in the general public that is far more damaging to society than anything else. Just remember how those senators and congressmen got there - the American public (not that this problem is unique to America by any means).
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by callum9999
Although people moan non-stop about how awful and evil government is (particularly Americans!), I personally think it's apathy in the general public that is far more damaging to society than anything else. Just remember how those senators and congressmen got there - the American public (not that this problem is unique to America by any means).
Though apathy is certainly a huge problem in the U.S. (look at the voting percentages!), I think stupidity is a bigger problem. When we can keep voting in the same congressmen over, and over and over again, then give them an approval rating of 13 percent, it surely says something about our level of education. Certainly the fact that those with the most money and with the most negative campaign ads are virtually guaranteed to keep winning elections says something about the American mindset.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
More likely, it'll be along the lines of "this information is dated ... most of the complaints are about stuff we've changed like privacy filters on the scanners ... we're much better now than we were then".
You nailed it! The blog just posted a response at 4:54PM Eastern to this issue. And by a suit, not Blogger Bob.

First line:

"Many of the TSA procedures and policies referenced in a recent opinion piece are no longer in place or are characterized inaccurately."

Then goes on to say how much they've improved.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 4:02 pm

You nailed it! The blog just posted a response at 4:54PM Eastern to this issue. And by a suit, not Blogger Bob.

First line:

"Many of the TSA procedures and policies referenced in a recent opinion piece are no longer in place or are characterized inaccurately."

Jason hit a nerve, didn't he?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
It was posted for all of an hour before another post with their weekly weapons count moved it down the page.

I wonder what LuAnn's security background is or is she just the lucky bureaucrat tasked with providing a response.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 4:19 pm

Slate TSA Article

Here is an article from Slate which defends many TSA practices. I am curious about what everyone thinks of it. http://www.slate.com/blogs/saletan/2..._officers.html
Old Jan 31, 2014, 4:22 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CNN picked it up. This should be fun.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 4:58 pm

Just saw the CNN piece. Good stuff.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:00 pm

I don´t think I can state what I think without disrespecting forum rules...
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:09 pm
RVP

The most amazing aspect of this story is that people are surprised!

I hope the press doesn't back off.

Hopefully, this is the beginning of the end of this unnecessary, awful, invasive, crude, bloated, anti-American government agency.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:55 pm

The piece is kinda all over the place. I note that it ends with something FTers have been saying for quite some time:

To protect the public, the police must be policed, and the watchers must be watched.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:09 pm

how cute

im not worried about body scanner as it keeps people not from america to blow them self up.....its ok too see all one body at a time like this...as its needed...feel save when going on plane.....vary happy to be an american that not put up with people that want to do harm.....smile)
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First line:

She is the Spokesholess-in-Chief. The first sentence was an indirect reference to the Politico article. The rest of the post was just drivel.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by stablemate77
im not worried about body scanner as it keeps people not from america to blow them self up.....its ok too see all one body at a time like this...as its needed...feel save when going on plane.....vary happy to be an american that not put up with people that want to do harm.....smile)
I'm happy to be an American who doesn't put up with people who want to take away the freedoms and rights that make America different than any other country in history - because without those rights and freedoms, we become just another country.

Anyone who assaults those rights and freedoms with the flimsy excuse that they're keeping us safe from people who want to assault our rights and freedoms is not a true American, they're an enemy of this country and all it stands for, just as much as those imbeciles who blow themselves up out of rabid hatred and bigotry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.