Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Dear America, I Saw You Naked'

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2014, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Schmurrr
No, not everybody is ignoring that. Most elected officials seem to ignore it, though.

I'm well aware that the U.S. has serious flaws, one of which is the willingness of so many to tolerate (and even excuse) evaporating freedoms.
Hmm good point, it would seem that the us and UK governments are seriously misrepresenting its people.

Its not the people, its the people in charge. Particularly when they explicitly go against the opinion of the people they represent.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Quote: Originally Posted by telabadmanwot: Your country isn't as great as you may believe. And you certainly are not free.
The US (and UK) are not perfect, but better than any of the other five countries on three continents I have lived in and more than 40 I have worked in or visited. The current crop of terrorists want the whole world to be Moslem (or, at least, their radical version of Islam) and will kill anyone who stands in their way. It has little to do with racism (by the way, most Moslem terrorists are Caucasians - oh, that means "from the Caucasus mountains of Turkey, Iran, Armenia, Georgia, etc.", by the way) - or whatever YOU may THINK the reason is.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 10:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by telabadmanwot
I like arguments like this.

What everyone seems to ignore is WHY a 'terrorist' wants to attack the USA or the UK or any other empire.

Federal policy of being racist arse0's for decades is the real reason. Your country isn't as great as you may believe. And you certainly are not free. There are many better countries, with healthier, more wealthy and more happy citizens. These countries are often ignored by terrorists, odd? The reality of America or the UK, does not match up to the media controlled image of two insolvent governments with oppressed and controlled people.

But that's not the point is it.
At the risk of this going OMNI, I would disagree. Those controlling and instigating "terrorism" couldn't give two hoots about the US or the UK as such. The failure to understand that is part of the problem in the US. (In the UK, it's well understood, but the power grab is more basic there) If terrorists really cared about the US or UK then you'd be seeing dozens of attacks a year because the security systems in place can't stop them and aren't designed to. You do get random acts and attempts at acts, but with a few exceptions those tend not to be the work of the "name players". They're lone wolf actions, generally. The real goal of terrorism is control in the areas in which they actually operate, pure and simple. The US and UK are simply stalking horses to focus the real target population against - just as Germany did with Jews, the US did with the Japanese, the British did with the Boer, etc. (Yes, I could come up with better examples, but I'm tired)

So, to drag this back to the security aspect, you have countries that are reacting to a threat that doesn't really exist in any meaningful sense. The threat is aimed elsewhere. The response is not aimed at the threat. Who're the sheep in this equation? Until and unless the US and UK general population understands that they're not under real threat then both countries establishments will continue on their merry way towards emplacing systems that are designed to control and instill a sense of fear and willingness to be controlled. Security theatre certainly has a role: instill fear and foster compliance, but "security" is not part of the function of security theatre.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by relangford
The US (and UK) are not perfect, but better than any of the other five countries on three continents I have lived in and more than 40 I have worked in or visited. The current crop of terrorists want the whole world to be Moslem (or, at least, their radical version of Islam) and will kill anyone who stands in their way. It has little to do with racism (by the way, most Moslem terrorists are Caucasians - oh, that means "from the Caucasus mountains of Turkey, Iran, Armenia, Georgia, etc.", by the way) - or whatever YOU may THINK the reason is.
To your first point, I am reminded of the words of the late, great Sir Winston Churchill: "Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."

To your second point... I am not sure I agree. I think many of them believe they are fighting against oppression of Islam, not aiming to proselytise.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
The good news about this article is Mrs. Super finally got the message about these things and will opt out whenever she can.

Me? I have a chronic shoulder injury that only flares up around airport checkpoints.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Superguy
Me? I have a chronic shoulder injury that only flares up around airport checkpoints.
No kidding! I've got the same injury and I just know it will act up tomorrow afternoon. It's funny --- It always goes away after 5 or 10 minutes.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
No kidding! I've got the same injury and I just know it will act up tomorrow afternoon. It's funny --- It always goes away after 5 or 10 minutes.
It's really intense, but they're only periodic flare ups. Fortunately, those flare ups are predictable so I can better manage the pain.

Blame it on the rain.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by relangford
I can assure you that Costa Rica and Honduras are WAY more free than either the USA or the UK. They're not rich, and Honduras is definitely not safer. But they're both much more free. That's a fact. We only sing our praises because we're rich.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:47 am

Steven Colbert gave TSA a "wag of the finger" last night due to this article.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 4:05 pm
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
And in another chapter of "You can always predict what the TSA will say":

http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...#axzz2srQahZ8H

Too bad the TSA has zero credibility; and that this former screener's stories match up with what we've observed during our gauntlets through the airports.

TSA -- the agency that lies and misdirects and makes stuff up!
Old Feb 9, 2014, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by KDS
And in another chapter of "You can always predict what the TSA will say":

http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...#axzz2srQahZ8H

Too bad the TSA has zero credibility; and that this former screener's stories match up with what we've observed during our gauntlets through the airports.

TSA -- the agency that lies and misdirects and makes stuff up!
A belated and absolutely unpersuasive retort from TSA, e.g.

For example, the full-body scanners that create what look like nude images have been removed.
Yes, but they were in existence when Harrington was an employee.

TSA officials said they would not pursue the allegations of misconduct that Harrington raised.
No, of course not.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 10:07 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Lying TSA employee
For example, the full-body scanners that create what look like nude images have been removed.
Nope. Still there. Software may be obscuring the image that the screen shows to the drone and the world, but the naked picture is still taken and is still in the buffer.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Spiff
Nope. Still there. Software may be obscuring the image that the screen shows to the drone and the world, but the naked picture is still taken and is still in the buffer.
I am not entirely convinced of that. I don't trust TSA any more than you do, but I'm not sure that the machines actually create an image any more; rather, the ATR software just evaluates the raw scan return data.

Of course, the raw scan return data can still be compiled into an image, just as it was before, but I'm not convinced that the machines still do so now that it's no longer needed; I think they just evaluate the scan returns and light up an LED on the indicator panel corresponding to any anomolies they detect.

As for "obscuring the image", that's a misrepresentation. There is no image displayed on the control panel, obscured or otherwise; ATR-equipped NoS units have a panel attached to them that shows a sketch of a human body with yellow squares indicating the locations of any anomalies they detect. But this is not an "obscured image" of the body any more than the Check Engine light is an image of your car's engine.

Of course, my inate paranoia has always led me to distrust TSA's assertions about these machines.

You see, they have always maintained vehemently that the machines did not and could not store or transmit the images they created. But they never said anything about whether the machines store or transmit the raw scan return data upon which the images are based. And that, I believe, is a distinct possibility.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 1:36 pm

I think they store the raw data. Maybe they don't store it forever, but I think they store it (a) in case there is a terror event and they need to figure out if/how WEI made it through the checkpoint and (b) for quality control purposes.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 1:43 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by WillCAD
I am not entirely convinced of that. I don't trust TSA any more than you do, but I'm not sure that the machines actually create an image any more; rather, the ATR software just evaluates the raw scan return data.

Of course, the raw scan return data can still be compiled into an image, just as it was before, but I'm not convinced that the machines still do so now that it's no longer needed; I think they just evaluate the scan returns and light up an LED on the indicator panel corresponding to any anomolies they detect.

As for "obscuring the image", that's a misrepresentation. There is no image displayed on the control panel, obscured or otherwise; ATR-equipped NoS units have a panel attached to them that shows a sketch of a human body with yellow squares indicating the locations of any anomalies they detect. But this is not an "obscured image" of the body any more than the Check Engine light is an image of your car's engine.

Of course, my inate paranoia has always led me to distrust TSA's assertions about these machines.

You see, they have always maintained vehemently that the machines did not and could not store or transmit the images they created. But they never said anything about whether the machines store or transmit the raw scan return data upon which the images are based. And that, I believe, is a distinct possibility.
The path of least resistance is what was followed.

Original: Naked image created, sent to someone leering at image in little room. Anomalies highlighted for person leering in the little room.

Now: Naked image created. Software simply transposes image's anomalies to screen on exterior of nudeoscope. Image still exists.

I really cannot see a complete software re-engineering that does away with the naked image entirely as that is what the nudeoscope is built to do - take naked pictures of people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.