Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

2013 Survey: How Effective is the Transportation Security Administration?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Survey: How Effective is the Transportation Security Administration?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MRDNET
TSA check points usually provide a bit of entertainment for me. On one occasion the lady next to me did not have her cosmetics in ZIPLOK bag and the TSA agent was really yelling at her - I carry a roll of ZIPLOK bags because on my job I have to bag broken parts. I handed her a ZIPLOK bag. The TSA agent went nuts and started screaming at me. The lady tried to give me the bag back and I told her he is just mad because we neutralized his problem with you. At this point I was laughing at the TSA agent. He screamed, "SUPERVISOR!". When the supervisor came over, the TSA agent explained the lady did not have a ZIPLOK bag and this guy gave her one. Supervisor said problem solved. By this time everyone around was having a good chuckle. See, TSA is usually good entertainment. I go through TSA with a smile on my face and a song in my heart; they seldom fail to entertain.
There have been many cases where airports offered such bags next to the line before Security Theater, often with advertising (paying for the bags).
Old Sep 5, 2013, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
My budget numbers were from DHS, and that includes other things in addition to TSA, the Coast Guard to pick a probable life saving example.

As for TSA, there is a significant possibility that the avoidance of the airport and driving instead, may have actually cost lives. I have no evidence except empirical evidence.

Let's suppose that they find 30 guns a month which is about what the numbers typically are. That is one a day, roughly. We have no way to know how many were just people that forgot or had absolutely no nefarious intent. We can guess. Guessing is fun. How about one a month?

When that gun is pulled on a plane one thing will almost certainly happen. A bunch of passengers will tackle the idiot and beat him within an inch of his life or kill him. If he gets one in addition to himself, that is two a month. 24 a year.

Back to Mayo. 2.2 million patient days at Mayo are almost certainly responsible for saving 24 lives or more. That is one person per 100,000 patient days, more or less. Heck, if every gun was missed, and every gun led to two deaths, that is 720 per year. That is still one person per 3050 patient days. Over eight years of patient care per death?

I'll bet on Mayo.
One additional point I would make (supporting your argument, btw) is that you are assuming that all of those guns would have made it on a plane in the pre-TSA days. But, the pre-9/11 security did catch most of those weapons also.
So, the comparison is not 30 guns getting through vs. what you could do with TSA budget, but a small fraction of the 30 guns getting through vs. the $1.1 Trillion.
UGH!
Old Oct 2, 2013, 1:10 pm

The results are in:

http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler....r-poor-rating/

Eight-five percent of frequent flyers said that the TSA is doing either a fair or poor job of managing security screenings at the nation’s airports., while 66% said that the TSA’s screening procedures are not very effective in preventing acts of terrorism on an aircraft. Last year, the disapproval figure was slightly higher at 90%.

On a positive note, almost twice as many flyers are taking advantage of the TSA’s PreCheck program as did last year, and the high satisfaction rating with the trusted traveler program is likely to be the reason that overall dissatisfaction dropped by five percentage points.

For results based on the total sample group, one can say with 95% confidence that the maximum margin of sampling error is ±1.99 percentage points.

The survey was designed by Basex, a market research firm. Through organic and viral contact, we received 2,415 complete responses from travelers who fly on average 9.8 times per year for business and 5.5 times annually for personal reasons. The sample was designed to provide the perspective of those travelers who frequently traverse TSA checkpoints at a wide variety of airports.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 5:18 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
The results are in:

Eight-five percent of frequent flyers said that the TSA is doing either a fair or poor job of managing security screenings at the nation’s airports., while 66% said that the TSA’s screening procedures are not very effective in preventing acts of terrorism on an aircraft. Last year, the disapproval figure was slightly higher at 90%.......
http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler....r-poor-rating/
Color me unsurprised but I'm sure the TSA will find a way to spin "we dropped from a 90% disapproval rating to 85%"
Old Oct 2, 2013, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by goalie
Color me unsurprised but I'm sure the TSA will find a way to spin "we dropped from a 90% disapproval rating to 85%"
"50% more passengers don't disapprove of us."
Old Oct 3, 2013, 4:49 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sethb
"50% more passengers don't disapprove of us."
"In recent surveys it has been found that 50% more passengers approve of what we are doing compared to previous surveys."

All positive wording.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by goalie
Oh, the spin is already set-up in the article. PreCheck will solve all our problems.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 1:44 pm

TSA Gets a Big Fat F

Frequent Flyers give TSA an F

http://www.eturbonews.com/38471/freq...ve-tsa-f-grade

FlyerTalk, the world’s largest online travel community, has teamed up with Frequent Business Traveler magazine to gauge how the U.S. Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has been performing. The result? An F grade for the TSA.

Eighty-five percent of frequent flyers think that the TSA is doing either a poor or fair job in performing security screenings at the nation's airports, according to a new survey of frequent flyers conducted by Frequent Business Traveler magazine.

According to Frequent Business Traveler magazine, a total of 2,415 FlyerTalk respondents took part in the online survey conducted from August 9 through September 10.

"This year’s survey results demonstrate that there is still much work to be done at America's airport security checkpoints," said Jonathan Spira, editorial director, Frequent Business Traveler.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 1:46 pm

And the remaining respondents work for the TSA.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 1:57 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Unfortunately, F was the lowest grade assignable.

TSA should be expelled from our airports.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spiff
Unfortunately, F was the lowest grade assignable.

TSA should be expelled from our airports.
That would leave them in country which is to darn close.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is an outrage!

What an insult to an F!
Old Oct 4, 2013, 9:06 pm

Programs: QFF
Why can't they get a Z?
Would zombies do a better job?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Himeno
Why can't they get a Z?
Would zombies do a better job?
Probably.

~~ Irish
Old Oct 5, 2013, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
This is an outrage!

What an insult to an F!
Think of the added motivation if teachers told their kids: "You got an 'F' -- the same grade that TSA has!". It could solve all our education problems. @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.