Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

2013 Survey: How Effective is the Transportation Security Administration?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Survey: How Effective is the Transportation Security Administration?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2013, 2:10 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by KDS

You have turned my scenario around and are arguing against a point I didn't make. I did not say, "what is a life worth when I will receive something from you or someone else?" I said, "what is a life worth when you have to pay something for it?"
In that case, rather than asking "what is a life worth", I think the better question would be to look at opportunity cost. How much does it cost per life saved, and what else could be done with that money? Is it more efficient to spend $500K on a full time fire department, or give that money to the hospital? Which will have a lower dollars-per-life-saved ratio?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by cbn42
In that case, rather than asking "what is a life worth", I think the better question would be to look at opportunity cost. How much does it cost per life saved, and what else could be done with that money? Is it more efficient to spend $500K on a full time fire department, or give that money to the hospital? Which will have a lower dollars-per-life-saved ratio?
Agreed. If we took, say, half of TSA's budget, what _else_ could we do with that money?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Agreed. If we took, say, half of TSA's budget, what _else_ could we do with that money?
Increase life expectancy of millions of people who would otherwise die from preventable/treatable diseases. I doubt that a cut in half of the TSA's budget would result in such a large increase in terrorist attacks against US flights to offset the number of lives saved by diverting half of the TSA's budget for medical/nutritional purposes.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Increase life expectancy of millions of people who would otherwise die from preventable/treatable diseases. I doubt that a cut in half of the TSA's budget would result in such a large increase in terrorist attacks against US flights to offset the number of lives saved by diverting half of the TSA's budget for medical/nutritional purposes.
For 2014, you get $30,000,000,000.

Add to that an estimate of the productivity losses from CP delays and other costs.

Now, play with those numbers.

Mayo Clinic, $8,500,000,000 expenses per year. That means the 1/2 of the budget would cover the expenses for 3.5 more Mayo clinics. That is an additional 2,200,000 patient days at the Mayo clinic.

Let's all speculate because we can not know. Which saves more lives?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KDS
Absolutely correct. Once upon a time when I was in local politics, the firefighter union was trying to convince us to go to a full-time department, using the argument that "if only one life were saved, it would be worth the cost."

"What is the value of a life?" they would ask. I had a very simple answer -- how much life insurance do you have on yourself? That is what you think a life is worth.

They didn't agree with my reasoning, but I stand by what I said then. Infinite cost for zero risk is slightly unreasonable.
The amount of life insurance you have says nothing about the value of your life. It says something about the economic hardships that would be caused by the loss of your life.

If you have no dependents nor plans to acquire any why would you have life insurance? (Other than for estate tax reasons if you're really wealthy.)
Old Aug 21, 2013, 8:11 pm
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
The amount of life insurance you have says nothing about the value of your life. It says something about the economic hardships that would be caused by the loss of your life.

If you have no dependents nor plans to acquire any why would you have life insurance? (Other than for estate tax reasons if you're really wealthy.)
Whether you buy insurance, or have the money in the bank, we still are defining the worth (or "hardship" from its absence) of a life by monetary means.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:02 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by KDS
Whether you buy insurance, or have the money in the bank, we still are defining the worth (or "hardship" from its absence) of a life by monetary means.
Yes, but the intrinsic value of something is not necessarily equal to its exchange value. Intrinsic value is what it is worth to you. Exchange value is what you can sell it for. They are related but not always identical.

(I just made up the term intrinsic, economists have some other word for it which I can't remember right now.)
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
Yes, but the intrinsic value of something is not necessarily equal to its exchange value. Intrinsic value is what it is worth to you. Exchange value is what you can sell it for. They are related but not always identical.

(I just made up the term intrinsic, economists have some other word for it which I can't remember right now.)
intangible

you're welcome
Old Aug 23, 2013, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
For 2014, you get $30,000,000,000.

Add to that an estimate of the productivity losses from CP delays and other costs.

Now, play with those numbers.

Mayo Clinic, $8,500,000,000 expenses per year. That means the 1/2 of the budget would cover the expenses for 3.5 more Mayo clinics. That is an additional 2,200,000 patient days at the Mayo clinic.

Let's all speculate because we can not know. Which saves more lives?
Is there any evidence that TSA has saved any lives or even just one life?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 7:54 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Is there any evidence that TSA has saved any lives or even just one life?
My budget numbers were from DHS, and that includes other things in addition to TSA, the Coast Guard to pick a probable life saving example.

As for TSA, there is a significant possibility that the avoidance of the airport and driving instead, may have actually cost lives. I have no evidence except empirical evidence.

Let's suppose that they find 30 guns a month which is about what the numbers typically are. That is one a day, roughly. We have no way to know how many were just people that forgot or had absolutely no nefarious intent. We can guess. Guessing is fun. How about one a month?

When that gun is pulled on a plane one thing will almost certainly happen. A bunch of passengers will tackle the idiot and beat him within an inch of his life or kill him. If he gets one in addition to himself, that is two a month. 24 a year.

Back to Mayo. 2.2 million patient days at Mayo are almost certainly responsible for saving 24 lives or more. That is one person per 100,000 patient days, more or less. Heck, if every gun was missed, and every gun led to two deaths, that is 720 per year. That is still one person per 3050 patient days. Over eight years of patient care per death?

I'll bet on Mayo.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 5:26 am

Where is the survey?

Just received an email from FlyerTalk that included:
Please complete the survey today.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...istration.html

Clicked on the blue line and arrived here.

Where is the survey?
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: Continental, US Air, Delta, Aloha, Hawaiian, Spirit, United
Worthless

Yes, I'm a TSA hater but the questionnaire is so skewed toward a negative TSA evaluation that anyone can argue that the results should be tossed. It's unfortunate because I believe that an unbiased survey would find frequent flyers overwhelmingly agreeing that the TSA is not worth the cost, is ineffective and a misery for all who fly...
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:54 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
My budget numbers were from DHS, and that includes other things in addition to TSA, the Coast Guard to pick a probable life saving example.

As for TSA, there is a significant possibility that the avoidance of the airport and driving instead, may have actually cost lives. I have no evidence except empirical evidence.

Let's suppose that they find 30 guns a month which is about what the numbers typically are. That is one a day, roughly. We have no way to know how many were just people that forgot or had absolutely no nefarious intent. We can guess. Guessing is fun. How about one a month?

When that gun is pulled on a plane one thing will almost certainly happen. A bunch of passengers will tackle the idiot and beat him within an inch of his life or kill him. If he gets one in addition to himself, that is two a month. 24 a year.

Back to Mayo. 2.2 million patient days at Mayo are almost certainly responsible for saving 24 lives or more. That is one person per 100,000 patient days, more or less. Heck, if every gun was missed, and every gun led to two deaths, that is 720 per year. That is still one person per 3050 patient days. Over eight years of patient care per death?

I'll bet on Mayo.
Very well put, I also have nothing asgainst the TSA. Most of my experiences with the TSA were pleasant. My problem is they don't appear very effective. I have personelly taken on banned items by mistake and not realized it until I unpacked. Not once has the TSA ever found them. No they weren't guns which should be found. I believe they could be cut back with out any change in out comes. Just consentrate on a few certain items.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
Very well put, I also have nothing asgainst the TSA. Most of my experiences with the TSA were pleasant. My problem is they don't appear very effective. I have personelly taken on banned items by mistake and not realized it until I unpacked. Not once has the TSA ever found them. No they weren't guns which should be found. I believe they could be cut back with out any change in out comes. Just consentrate on a few certain items.
When I consider costs, inconvenience, disregard of the constitution and inane indecipherable rules, no TSA experience is ever pleasant. I will admit that some are much less onerous than others, but none reach the level of pleasant.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: Delta Sky Miles
I think a few questions were missing. I had to answer "Yes" to the questions on the process being effective and thorough. They did not ask if I thought the procedures were overkill, and too much, for the threats found. My issue is not with the fact they are there, or with the personnel assigned. It is the degree to which we are screened, and the additional time required to do so. To date, the additional steps have not shown to be proven any more effective that the old shoes and belt on metal detector.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.