Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

2013 Survey: How Effective is the Transportation Security Administration?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Survey: How Effective is the Transportation Security Administration?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2013, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Ronlap
I was going through the pre-check line in Boston when I was selected for a random check. They swabbed my hands and put the fabric wipe into the machine which lit up with "Explosives Detected."

The TSA agent calmly steered me into a private room and two other agents followed. One was an observer and the other explained where he would be touching me and whether it would be palms in or palms out. After a rub down and examination of my carry on, I was free to go. Total time was under 10 minutes. Very professional.
So the initial test was a false positive . . . wonder why the don't report these on the blog?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ronlap
I was going through the pre-check line in Boston when I was selected for a random check. They swabbed my hands and put the fabric wipe into the machine which lit up with "Explosives Detected."

The TSA agent calmly steered me into a private room and two other agents followed. One was an observer and the other explained where he would be touching me and whether it would be palms in or palms out. After a rub down and examination of my carry on, I was free to go. Total time was under 10 minutes. Very professional.
The lesson here is that you never allow something like this w/o first insisting the screener change his gloves, out of the box, get a new swab, out of the box, & then test the gloves. Then the screener has to swab & test the filthy bin(s) you have just been handling. THEN & only then do you allow the screener to touch your hands. Just like everything else w/the TSA, these swabs have a very very high false+ rate & are essentially worthless.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by txrus
Just like everything else w/the TSA, these swabs have a very very high false+ rate & are essentially worthless.
OK, that part I would disagree with. Sort of. The testing machines are very good, but only when they're used properly. That's where (no surprises!) TSA falls down. They don't maintain the machines. They don't conduct the tests properly. They don't train the staff to use the machines or apply a proper procedure. But the machines themselves: there's nothing wrong with them in principal as far as I'm concerned.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:25 pm

Programs: US Airways, Silver United, Gold Hilton, Platinum Marriott, Gold SPG
I am not happy with TSA performance...it is a huge waste of $$
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:26 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Stats isn't your strong suit, is it? So long as they get ~500 or more results then they are likely statistically valid.
No offense, but stats doesn't appear to be your strong suit either. In fact, this statement couldn't be more incorrect. The validity of the results has very little to do with the sample size, and everything to do with the selection process. I could stand outside a Catholic church in Alabama and poll people and then claim that 98% of the American public wants a complete ban on abortion, but my results would not be statistically valid no matter how many responses I have.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stats isn't your strong suit, is it? So long as they get ~500 or more results then they are likely statistically valid. That a majority of people here may dislike TSA may simply be a reflection of the wider population: the fact they dislike the TSA does not invalidate the results, no matter how much you might want that to be a reason to ignore the results - whatever they may be.
You've got a statistics problem here. The problem is that groups like ours do not match up with the population at large. While the survey will return reasonably valid results for our group that doesn't mean they're valid for the population at large.

Lets say you conduct two surveys asking the same question: "Does your house have air conditioning?"

Conduct one survey in Phoenix, Arizona. Conduct the other in an Eskimo village. See the difference?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Baracuda618
I filled out the questionnaire but I think it's fairly ineffective. It didn't ask about procedures, just if you think the TSA is effective. The TSA personnel have, for the most part, been acceptable. The TSA policies are fairly ridiculous - taking off shoes when they are very flat, open sandals makes no sense. One of the most stupid rules I've found lately is that in Mexico you can bring fresh batteries into the country but if the TSA finds them in your bag going home they confiscate them! They have to be in your camera - no loose batteries. My boyfriend got a whole, unopened pack of AAA's confiscate last September coming out of Cozumel! Perhaps a more extensive survey would be more effective.
Huh? Since when is the TSA taking batteries?

You can't have loose lithium batteries but in a pack isn't loose. Nor are batteries with covers properly fitted to them.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kkmail
Well put.. Flyer talk has some well spoken writers but as a whole your definitely correct. F.T. fans will argue how terrible the TSA is but when push comes to shove, they realize they are much needed. I in fact have had several horrifying experiences with the TSA but I am happy to pay the $5-$10 per ticket, whatever it may be to keep them around. If you care how much that may be exactly, ask any of these F. Talkers that have like 2000 post's.... Hahahaha !
Much needed?

The old-style security was useful. These days I think the true security level has gone *DOWN*.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:44 pm

Programs: United Platinum; Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite Lifetime
TSA check points usually provide a bit of entertainment for me. On one occasion the lady next to me did not have her cosmetics in ZIPLOK bag and the TSA agent was really yelling at her - I carry a roll of ZIPLOK bags because on my job I have to bag broken parts. I handed her a ZIPLOK bag. The TSA agent went nuts and started screaming at me. The lady tried to give me the bag back and I told her he is just mad because we neutralized his problem with you. At this point I was laughing at the TSA agent. He screamed, "SUPERVISOR!". When the supervisor came over, the TSA agent explained the lady did not have a ZIPLOK bag and this guy gave her one. Supervisor said problem solved. By this time everyone around was having a good chuckle. See, TSA is usually good entertainment. I go through TSA with a smile on my face and a song in my heart; they seldom fail to entertain.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:38 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by cbn42
No offense, but stats doesn't appear to be your strong suit either. In fact, this statement couldn't be more incorrect. The validity of the results has very little to do with the sample size, and everything to do with the selection process. I could stand outside a Catholic church in Alabama and poll people and then claim that 98% of the American public wants a complete ban on abortion, but my results would not be statistically valid no matter how many responses I have.
I didn't realize that FT had exclusionary dogma. Although now that I think about it...

I understand where you're coming from, but I disagree on the group sampled: FT is broadly representative of the population at large. Realistically, all FT samples/biases for, is people that travel. That's hardly skewing the results when the survey is about TSA, is it?

Now, I'm not saying that the survey will be or is well formed for validity or that 500 is the magical number for it in this instance. I wouldn't know one way or the other on that front. But I am saying that I think FT, as a group, should be a valid sample group and, assuming the response reaches ~500 & the survey is well-formed, then the results should be statistically valid as a statement for the general population.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:38 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

FT is broadly representative of the population at large.
There is no way FT can be seen as representative of the population at large. The average American flies once a year or less. The average FTer flies several times more than that. Since frequency of contact is likely to affect one's perceptions of the TSA, this will bias the sample significantly.

Realistically, all FT samples/biases for, is people that travel. That's hardly skewing the results when the survey is about TSA, is it?
FT really isn't even representative of "people that travel". FT is representative of people who travel very frequently. Once again, people who travel once a year (the majority of people) and people who travel a few times a month (people on FT) are likely to have very different views of the TSA.

But I am saying that I think FT, as a group, should be a valid sample group and, assuming the response reaches ~500 & the survey is well-formed, then the results should be statistically valid as a statement for the general population.
No survey is valid as a statement for the general population unless it selected people at random from the general population.

And where did you get the ~500 number from? It seems like you pulled it out of thin air. You can't do that in statistics.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
FT really isn't even representative of "people that travel". FT is representative of people who travel very frequently. Once again, people who travel once a year (the majority of people) and people who travel a few times a month (people on FT) are likely to have very different views of the TSA.
And now we get to one of the key issues here: how should a "fair" sample be defined for such a survey?

Do we want to sample just based on population numbers (e.g. 100 zillion people flew last year, let's get X% of them to complete the survey), or based on flights taken (e.g. 300 zillion tickets were purchased last year, let's ask Y% of the purchasers to complete the survey)? The latter will generate far more frequent fliers than the former ... but wouldn't frequent flyers be more knowledgeable about airline travel and thereby give you better answers?

Survey design is hard.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:57 am

TSA in JFK back in Feb was decent for me on my flight to Warsaw. Coming back, the workers in the WAW airport went though my bag and opened my brand new 3DS I brought to try and sell there.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:40 pm

Programs: Concorde Connoisseur, ua 1mm
Originally Posted by Umrswimr
Compared to what I see in places like India, I feel a whole lot better about the TSA! I had the same experience as Barnaby100 travelling from T3 to T5 in Heathrow earlier this year as well. Yuck...
Sorry if this is slightly off-topic, but isn't there supposed to be some
shuttle that gets you from "sterile" T3 to "sterile" T5 and back (i.e.
when connecting from AA to BA and vice versa) circumventing the
whole security theatre you describe ?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:45 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by kkmail
Well put.. Flyer talk has some well spoken writers but as a whole your definitely correct. F.T. fans will argue how terrible the TSA is but when push comes to shove, they realize they are much needed. I in fact have had several horrifying experiences with the TSA but I am happy to pay the $5-$10 per ticket, whatever it may be to keep them around. If you care how much that may be exactly, ask any of these F. Talkers that have like 2000 post's.... Hahahaha !
You are completely wrong. I'd travel even more if TSA were tossed out into the street or into prison where they belong.

The security of airlines and airports should be 100% the purview of the airlines and the airports. The federal government should have no say in the matter and should be physically ejected from all US airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.