Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losing Patience with TSA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:18 am
KDS
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Losing Patience with TSA

An interesting article this morning that I'd hope would lead to some sanity in Congress:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...nduct/2783055/
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by KDS
sanity in Congress
Well, there's your first problem

Sorry, but I'm unimpressed by the article. "One last chance to improve" only works if there's clearly defined criteria for improvement ... and the article fails to provide that. Even the one solution mentioned --- privatization --- won't do a whole lot, because private screeners would still have to use WBI and perform full-body patdowns and enforce the 100ml fluid rule and so on.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:51 am
KDS
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Well, there's your first problem

Sorry, but I'm unimpressed by the article. "One last chance to improve" only works if there's clearly defined criteria for improvement ... and the article fails to provide that. Even the one solution mentioned --- privatization --- won't do a whole lot, because private screeners would still have to use WBI and perform full-body patdowns and enforce the 100ml fluid rule and so on.
Understanding that it's just an article, there was one suggestion that I liked:
The TSA is still developing a final rule, required by a U.S. Court of Appeals, on the use of its controversial full-body scanners. According to a survey of public comments on a government regulations website, most Americans favor a return to the tried-and-true magnetometers and want the TSA to stop using pat-downs and full-body scanners. Bowing to their wishes would be a good start.
Although I don't expect TSA or Congress or President to actually accept and implement this suggestion, it would be a good thing if they did.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by KDS
Understanding that it's just an article, there was one suggestion that I liked:
The TSA is still developing a final rule, required by a U.S. Court of Appeals, on the use of its controversial full-body scanners. According to a survey of public comments on a government regulations website, most Americans favor a return to the tried-and-true magnetometers and want the TSA to stop using pat-downs and full-body scanners. Bowing to their wishes would be a good start.
Although I don't expect TSA or Congress or President to actually accept and implement this suggestion, it would be a good thing if they did.
But what does "a good start" mean?

See, TSA would counter that it is, in fact, returning to WTMD-only screening --- through the Pre-Check program. Of course, the fact that Pre-Check is only open to elites or those willing to pay for it through Global Entry is lost in that argument.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
But what does "a good start" mean?

See, TSA would counter that it is, in fact, returning to WTMD-only screening --- through the Pre-Check program. Of course, the fact that Pre-Check is only open to elites or those willing to pay for it through Global Entry is lost in that argument.
Don't worry, Pre-Check will become all but required along with the associated fees. Slowly but surely the program will be expanded to cover all US airports. Subsequent to that there will be changes that will make not participating in Pre-Check [or whatever they decide to call it] the choice of last resort.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by MIT_SBM
Don't worry, Pre-Check will become all but required along with the associated fees. Slowly but surely the program will be expanded to cover all US airports. Subsequent to that there will be changes that will make not participating in Pre-Check [or whatever they decide to call it] the choice of last resort.
Bolding Mine: Knowing this present administration, not participating in Pre-Check might eventually garder a fine...er...penalty...er...tax. Yea, that's it, a tax!
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:51 pm

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
Bolding Mine: Knowing this present administration, not participating in Pre-Check might eventually garder a fine...er...penalty...er...tax. Yea, that's it, a tax!
I don't think that it has anything to do with the current Administration but rather more with:
  1. The usual scope creep of "safety" programs. Remember at one time seatbelts [in cars] were available but not talked about much. Then there was encouragement/peer pressure to use them. Now in many places it is the law to use them or be fined.
  2. The usual "power grab" by elected officials [from any party and of any administration] to control more of the plebian lifestyle while exempting themselves.
  3. The vocal Anything for Safety group(s) will call for it because, "If you have nothing to hide ....!"
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We need to bring back Senator McCarthy--we have some real Unamerican activities for him to go after!
Old Sep 10, 2013, 2:00 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Except for those who are not US citizens and/or residents. There's no sign of opening Pre-Check to "foreigners". And no reason, really, why a non-US citizen going on a single vacation or business trip to the US should want to (or have to) pay fees for Pre-Check for one trip.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 6:20 am

1. The usual scope creep of "safety" programs. Remember at one time seatbelts [in cars] were available but not talked about much. Then there was encouragement/peer pressure to use them. Now in many places it is the law to use them or be fined.
I recall when the seat belt law was passed in Texas and we were "promised" that no one would be stopped just for a seat belt infraction; a ticket would be issued only in conjunction with a stop for another matter. Didn't take too long for that promise to go by the wayside.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Except for those who are not US citizens and/or residents. There's no sign of opening Pre-Check to "foreigners". And no reason, really, why a non-US citizen going on a single vacation or business trip to the US should want to (or have to) pay fees for Pre-Check for one trip.
Thank you Radiogirl for once again pointing out how this program makes us foreigners become de facto second-class travelers, excluding us from even the choice of having a reasonable security experience for an exorbitant fee.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
But today, just a few days before the 9/11 anniversary, is not the time to talk about the end of the TSA. This is the moment to take account of the failings of one of America's least-loved agencies, and to say: Our patience has its limits; it's almost up.
Really? Not a good time? Seems to me that this is the best time to talk about the dissolution of the TSA (not that there's ever a bad time). It will make for an excellent discussion on the value of our Constitutional liberties in the face of perceived danger.

Mike
Old Sep 10, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL MM, DL DM, Marriott PP
So the choices will be: NOS, patdown or a background check without consent.
And all that is just because a person has decided to move somewhere on a plane? I really do not see how the new system is better. If anything, it is actually worse. I'd rather receive a patdown then have those people to get background check on me every time I travel.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: UA Silver; WN; Marriott; SPG; Hilton; IHG; National; TSA Pre; Clear
The article was written by Chris Elliott, so what do you expect?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:04 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by rwmiller56
The article was written by Chris Elliott, so what do you expect?
FWIW I like what he writes in this column, and I like seeing that critical viewpoint reach whatever audience USA Today reaches.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.