Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does TSA recognize a Cliplok lock?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Does TSA recognize a Cliplok lock?

There is a type of luggage lock called Cliplok that is designed to allow a luggage screener to cut them open and then relock them afterward. Later on, you can replace the shackle cheaply. It looks like this:

The cutout on the left side marks where they are designed to be cut.
But do TSA or customs (US CBP, UK HMRC) screeners understand what this lock is? Or will they just cut the lock at the top and defeat the whole purpose?
Has anyone had any experience using this type of lock?
The advantages of this lock are:
- not vulnerable to stolen TSA keys or lock picking
- it can be locked after opening
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
TSA has already demonstrated an inability to restore locks on the proper luggage even if they can find the keys, and when they can't find the keys, they cut locks off and discard them anyway.

The cutters never seem to go missing. One wonders why.

I think the product is clever, but that it will have a 3-flight half-life in the real world of pizza-box TSA hires.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I'd give it a fifty-fifty chance at getting cut off - much depends on the airport.

I think cutter-happy TSOs are going to go right ahead and cut it off without even looking at it closely; besides, it will be marginally faster and easier to cut the main bolt than to take a moment to line up the cutters and snip the small part.

TSOs have been known to use bolt cutters just because it is easier than using the keys to open a 'TSA-approved' lock. When I still wasted time and money on locks, I actually had cut locks thrown back into my unsecured luggage on some occasions. Other times, the locks were just gone.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: Platinum-CO-DL-Priority Club WN A-list Diomond-Hilton-BW Gold-Choice Hertz Presidents Club
They don't know locks from their butts. I'm on TSA lock #14 on my tool box. They cut em, lose em, or throw them away. And....All 13 of them disappared at IAH. *Idiots*
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:43 am

The tsa will cut any lock (tsa approved or not) and discard it.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:09 pm

Not a chance.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:31 am

Thumbs up Seems to work OK ...

I have one of these and it has been cut off twice (in the right place), and put back. Once by TSA in Newark, and once at Heathrow. All good. As you say, they'll probably cut it off anyway, so why not buy one that is supposed to?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by a1derer
I have one of these and it has been cut off twice (in the right place), and put back. Once by TSA in Newark, and once at Heathrow. All good. As you say, they'll probably cut it off anyway, so why not buy one that is supposed to?
Your experience is not the norm.

Does the lock come with a money-back guarantee (like some TSA-approved locks do) if it does get cut off? If not, then I absolutely wouldn't consider it.

OP mentions that after the lock has been cut, the shackle can be replaced cheaply. How did you replace it (since it got cut twice)? Did you take it back to the retailer for a replacement? That's too much hassle for me.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing your experience, a1derer.

Originally Posted by chollie
OP mentions that after the lock has been cut, the shackle can be replaced cheaply. How did you replace it (since it got cut twice)? Did you take it back to the retailer for a replacement? That's too much hassle for me.
I will presume that a1derer meant that the shackle was replaced twice, once after each cut.

When a shackle has been cut once (in the right place), the lock may be relocked, but it needs to be replaced before it is cut again. The user replaces the shackle himself.
The lock comes with 1 replacement shackle, and you can buy a set of 5 replacements after that. They are quite inexpensive. Shackles look like this:

I don't think there is any warranty.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:25 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Trusting the TSA to:
1) understand what kind of lock this is,
2) cut in the right place, AND
3) replace the lock properly
seems wildly optimistic. Buy a bag of zip ties and save your money.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by baliktad
Trusting the TSA to:
1) understand what kind of lock this is,
2) cut in the right place, AND
3) replace the lock properly
seems wildly optimistic. Buy a bag of zip ties and save your money.
You forgot '1a) care what kind of lock this is'
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:56 pm

I have used zip ties in the past and left a new one in the velcro handle of my tool bag. About 50% of the time they replace the zip tie.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:13 pm

AisleSitter is correct. So what if they cut it off in the wrong place? Just replace the shackle when you get your luggage back ...
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by a1derer
AisleSitter is correct. So what if they cut it off in the wrong place? Just replace the shackle when you get your luggage back ...
If I'm going to do that, then I will purchase my TSA-approved locks (that a motivated TSO could use a special TSA key to unlock - but probably won't). I will buy those locks that have a 'guaranteed replacement' warranty.

I quit doing that because although I never had a problem getting a new lock, it wasn't worth my time. Now I use zip ties. Cheaper and easier to replace and not as tempting.

To some TSOs, the lock sends a message: 'I have something worth stealing, even if you didn't see anything on the x-ray'. I have actually had a lock clipped on a snowboard bag - except the lock was on the zipper pull and the bag was not actually locked. TSA didn't even bother to look - just cut the lock and left it in the bag with a 'love note'.

There's probably a market for these locks with first or very infrequent fliers, or fliers who live/travel abroad. I don't think most domestic US fliers are going to find them more useful than the regular locks that TSOs regularly clip out of laziness.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 1:46 am

Thanks for your input Chollie, but I think you're wrong.

Don't confuse TSA with Travel Sentry - the commercial organisation that licenses the "red diamond" idea. TSA don't actually "approve" any locks. They can't. The best you can say about the Travel Sentry/Safe Skies systems is that their locks are "TSA recognised". It's a loose arrangement relying on the adequate training and IQ of TSA inspectors. Better to give them a problem that is easier to solve. The ClipLok even has a picture of a pair of bolt-cutters at the place where it should be clipped!

Incidentally, if they do cut it off, all you have to do is replace the shackle when you get it back. You won't need to go through the hassle of trying to claim a replacement lock. It's a no-brainer really.

I've also been able to open one of the Travel Sentry locks with a paper clip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.