Wiki Posts
Search

Does TSA recognize a Cliplok lock?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by a1derer
Thanks for your input Chollie, but I think you're wrong.

Don't confuse TSA with Travel Sentry - the commercial organisation that licenses the "red diamond" idea. TSA don't actually "approve" any locks. They can't. The best you can say about the Travel Sentry/Safe Skies systems is that their locks are "TSA recognised". It's a loose arrangement relying on the adequate training and IQ of TSA inspectors. Better to give them a problem that is easier to solve. The ClipLok even has a picture of a pair of bolt-cutters at the place where it should be clipped!

Incidentally, if they do cut it off, all you have to do is replace the shackle when you get it back. You won't need to go through the hassle of trying to claim a replacement lock. It's a no-brainer really.

I've also been able to open one of the Travel Sentry locks with a paper clip!

Perhaps my post wasn't entirely clear.

I haven't used (or claimed a replacement for) a "TSA-approved' travel lock (or any other lock) for several years now.

I use a regular small combination lock on my carry-on bags when I go through the checkpoint.

I use zip ties on any checked bags. I haven't had a zip tie cut or removed yet.

If someone gets in my bag, it is probably TSA,because unlike baggage handlers, TSA has xray vision and no one will be suspicious if a TSO is seen rifling through a bag - unlike baggage handlers, who don't know if there's anything in the bag worth stealing and who definitely look suspicious if they are seen inside a bag.

TSA's preferred method of access, IME, is bolt cutters. I have never had a lock that TSA removed replaced on the bag by TSA. Most of the time, the lock 'disappeared'; twice the cut lock was placed in my bag. Once someone else's cut lock appeared in my bag (along with someone else's socks).

If TSA is going to cut my lock off and not replace it, it is easier and just as secure for me to use zip ties.

That's what works best for me in my travels.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: US Silver, Marriott Rewards Gold, AmEx Platinum
Originally Posted by TheRoadie
TSA has already demonstrated an inability to restore locks on the proper luggage even if they can find the keys, and when they can't find the keys, they cut locks off and discard them anyway.

The cutters never seem to go missing. One wonders why.

I think the product is clever, but that it will have a 3-flight half-life in the real world of pizza-box TSA hires.
Well said Roadie.
I put the half-life up to 4 flights IF the hires were off gas pumps and not pizza boxes.
You have to push buttons and stuff to pump gas.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:40 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by a1derer
AisleSitter is correct. So what if they cut it off in the wrong place? Just replace the shackle when you get your luggage back ...
If they cut it in the wrong place, there's no way for them to attach it back onto the bag when they are done, so you won't be getting the body of the lock back.

You will have replacement shackles and no lock.

If they are kind enough to toss it in the bag for you, that's a different story, but unless you attach the body to the bag too, if they don't cut it where they are supposed to cut it, and put it back on knowing they can cut it and relock it, you are not going to have anything to put the new shackle on.

The lock is a great idea, but given the way they cut tsa locks and toss them, I don't have hopes this will be a much better track record.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
If the point is just to see if they have opened your lock, I've had remarkable success with the Searchalert locks (from PrestoLock) - granted, they need the key to open them - but you know when they do.

http://www.cclsecurity.com/products/searchalert/
Old Feb 3, 2013, 5:53 am

I guess it all comes down to asking the TSA to do what's easiest. They have bolt cutters, and they know how to use them, so why not go with it?

The most worrisome thing is I've been able to open a SearchAlert lock with a bent paperclip (bend the last 3-4mm at a right angle, insert into the "master key" slot, and jiggle it around a little. You will be surprised how easy it is!). This ClipLok is supposedly pick proof (has anybody tried to pick one yet? - I would be interested to hear the results).

Sure, if the TSA cut any type of lock off, and fail to place it back in your luggage (supposedly, along with a search advice), then the choice of locks is obviously irrelevant. If you feel this is the most likely result of most TSA searches, then I guess a $2.00 lock, offering at least a semblance of security, is the way to go.

This however is not my experience so far. On both occasions that my ClipLok lock has been clipped, it has been replaced correctly (maybe I was lucky enough to get ex pump attendants searching my luggage ...)

Another thought - if a SearchAlert lock is cut off, the lock becomes worthless, so the screeners will merely trash it. Technically, I guess they should be placing it back in the bag from which it was removed, but as a piece of trash, there's a pretty good argument for binning it on the spot.

Last edited by a1derer; Feb 3, 2013 at 6:03 am
Old Feb 4, 2013, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

It should be noted that this lock does not allow you to set your own combination. It comes preset from the factory with a random combination that cannot be changed. Don't buy it if you want to set your own combination.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:19 am

I know this is an old thread, but has anyone had any experience with this lock?
I've not found much on them, or where to buy them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.