Liquid ban should be repealed

Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Now I know this ban has been in place in the EU and USA for quite some years now, but I cannot stop irritating myself over the ban all the time an aircraft has many tons of flammable fuel. It is really stupid that you get stopped at the security checkpoint just because that bottle of water you forgot. When I go to OSL I tend to like to have a bottle of water or soda with me on the bus out, and sometimes I forget to throw it away.

And also laptops should be allowed to be kept in the backpack. I pack logically so laptop and liquid bag is on the top in my backpack, but still it is always a little bit of stress pulling it out and pack it back in again etc. I do not mind security checks like they were before, but at this point it is just insane.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
Originally Posted by William S
Now I know this ban has been in place in the EU and USA for quite some years now, but I cannot stop irritating myself over the ban all the time an aircraft has many tons of flammable fuel. It is really stupid that you get stopped at the security checkpoint just because that bottle of water you forgot. When I go to OSL I tend to like to have a bottle of water or soda with me on the bus out, and sometimes I forget to throw it away.

And also laptops should be allowed to be kept in the backpack. I pack logically so laptop and liquid bag is on the top in my backpack, but still it is always a little bit of stress pulling it out and pack it back in again etc. I do not mind security checks like they were before, but at this point it is just insane.
I completely agree with you Will. Its very aggravating that liquids over 100 ml are prohibited. If someone truly has a bad intention, they will work within the 100ml range. The rule forces you to buy a $5 bottle of water in the terminal, which bothers the hell out of me.

With laptops, they have gotten better. If you have the special laptop sleeve, it can remain in there .
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:07 am

I would like to see it repealed as well. Everything I have read about liquid explosives makes it appear that such a plot is unlikely to work. The materials are either too unstable to make it to the airport or would require hours of prep time at precise temperatures that wouldn't be feasible to do on an airplane. Plus there is nothing stopping terrorists from detonating the bomb at the security checkpoint or combining their liquids after passing through security. I would like to see Mythbusters test this if they already haven't.

I sometimes think the ban is still there partially because of the airlines and airport vendors. Airlines make a lot of money with checked bag fees and the vendors can charge inflated prices after security.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:08 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Grant is burried in Grant's tomb.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:17 am

Flew out of Shanghai 2 years ago. My wife and I carry our empty water bottles through security and filled them from a water fountain near the gate. Went to board and they were demanding no carry on liquids of any kind so we just emptied ours out into the can causing quite a mess. Others who bought water at the concessions were made to throw them out and were pretty mad!
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Ari
Grant is burried in Grant's tomb.
Mrs. Grant, too.

Bruce
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
Flew out of Shanghai 2 years ago. My wife and I carry our empty water bottles through security and filled them from a water fountain near the gate. Went to board and they were demanding no carry on liquids of any kind so we just emptied ours out into the can causing quite a mess. Others who bought water at the concessions were made to throw them out and were pretty mad!
I had a similar thing happen in Cancun a few years ago. They made me throw out my soda from one of the restaurants. I'm assuming it was because the plane was going back to the US. I can't remember if they allowed liquids past the checkpoint.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
This is a problem with ICAO and they are the people who initiated this ban.
I have been told that this 100ml ban would be lifted soon.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL UA
At least in the States, you can buy a nice liter bottle of water post security. It's hard to stay hydrated on back to back intercontinental flights going through Europe. At least through Amsterdam, because of the gate side checks, I can't even bring any water with me onto the plane. I would love to be able to pick up a liter of water in Amsterdam to bring with me on the plane before my next nine hour flight after traveling + hours overnight. I cannot stay hydrated on those tiny half cup servings of water I get maybe every couple of hours.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by William S
I agree with your conclusion but not your logic. The problem is not flammable fluids, the problem is that ability to detonate them. Lots of engineers have spent lots of time ensuring jet fuel will not explode during normal operating conditions. Your can of lighter fluid? Not so much.
Originally Posted by mrscherry2000
At least through Amsterdam, because of the gate side checks, I can't even bring any water with me onto the plane.
I was in Amsterdam a few years ago (but after the liquids ban) and they let me keep my bottled water at the gate x-ray check. Have you tried to take a bottle of water onto the plane in AMS?
Originally Posted by dav662
This is a problem with ICAO and they are the people who initiated this ban.
I have been told that this 100ml ban would be lifted soon.
By whom? If it's a reliable source, then that is great news. ^
Old Aug 17, 2011, 1:43 pm

What bugs me is that what they are trying to prevent from getting on the plane is acetone and hydrogen peroxide. When people have those chemicals in 100ml (3.4 ounce) bottles they often let them through because most screeners think they are looking for water.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 2:56 pm

Where does anybody pay $5 for a bottle of water on the secure side? I've bought water there and never paid that. Plus, my wife and I bring empty bottles thru and fill them with free water. So far, no trouble with that method at all. As for the shampoo, aftershave, etc. I'm just not packing them at all. Last trip I bought a travel package at my destination. Very cheap.

We should protest the existence of TSA, not the stupid rules. I've worked around them easily, but the molestation of babies, the elderly, people in wheelchairs are an insult to the very nature of America. I've seen very little in my 66 years that is as anti-American as TSA. To think we beat the USSR only to degenerate this much. Trillions for defense, and now these slopeheads get to feel our junk.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by spd476
I had a similar thing happen in Cancun a few years ago. They made me throw out my soda from one of the restaurants. I'm assuming it was because the plane was going back to the US. I can't remember if they allowed liquids past the checkpoint.
Originally Posted by mrscherry2000
At least in the States, you can buy a nice liter bottle of water post security. It's hard to stay hydrated on back to back intercontinental flights going through Europe. At least through Amsterdam, because of the gate side checks, I can't even bring any water with me onto the plane. I would love to be able to pick up a liter of water in Amsterdam to bring with me on the plane before my next nine hour flight after traveling + hours overnight. I cannot stay hydrated on those tiny half cup servings of water I get maybe every couple of hours.
I've never had an issue bringing water or liquids on board purchased post-security. But it appears that in each of these cases it was on US-bound flights? Intra-Asia, intra-Europe, Europe to Asia and vv I've never had it be an issue.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
At this point, the reason liquids can be brought through is the exact same as taking your shoes off, removing your computer... SECURITY THEATER. Plain and simple. Until enough of the country and/or Congress can tell the TSA once and for all that Security Theater isn't making us safe and is simply a waste of money, these things won't change. Opt-out day was barely a blip on the radar.

Ron Paul getting up and arguing against these procedures, as well as NoS, invasive pat-downs... is not enough. We need numerous Dems and Repubs in both Houses to get up, and that requires a concerted effort by FFs and not alike; FTers and not alike.

Spread the word: TSA must go! We need smart security that keeps us safe!
Old Aug 17, 2011, 5:52 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
I did something similar 3 weeks ago at SYD (Sydney). 1.5 hours on the ground, remaining in secure area and getting back on the same flight. SYD insists on re-screening before allowing passengers back to re-board.

So, I got off the plane and followed the crowd to re-screening, carrying my water bottle which contained about 30 mls of water. There was nowhere to empty the bottle. At screening, I explained that it was water in the bottle and offered to drink it - "Oh no, Madam, you can't do that." (Why not?) When I asked where I could empty the bottle, I was told that the restrooms were way down the corridor. I asked if I could empty the bottle into the bin and that was also refused.

After some discussion (and my again requesting to be allowed to drink the water), I ended up by emptying the water onto the floor, to the annoyance of all, including me. Not proud of what I did, but still annoyed at having been placed in that situation.

The following week, at STN, my carry-on was re-screened and searched 3 times, all because a novice screener kept mistaking a jar of powder for a bottle of liquid in my carry-on. In the previous 3 weeks, that same powder had been screened through AKL, SYD, DXB, LHR, LGW, VCE, SOU, and BES, all without being queried.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.