FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Liquid ban should be repealed
View Single Post
Old Aug 17, 2011, 1:33 pm
janetdoe

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by William S
Now I know this ban has been in place in the EU and USA for quite some years now, but I cannot stop irritating myself over the ban all the time an aircraft has many tons of flammable fuel. It is really stupid that you get stopped at the security checkpoint just because that bottle of water you forgot. When I go to OSL I tend to like to have a bottle of water or soda with me on the bus out, and sometimes I forget to throw it away.
I agree with your conclusion but not your logic. The problem is not flammable fluids, the problem is that ability to detonate them. Lots of engineers have spent lots of time ensuring jet fuel will not explode during normal operating conditions. Your can of lighter fluid? Not so much.
Originally Posted by mrscherry2000
At least through Amsterdam, because of the gate side checks, I can't even bring any water with me onto the plane.
I was in Amsterdam a few years ago (but after the liquids ban) and they let me keep my bottled water at the gate x-ray check. Have you tried to take a bottle of water onto the plane in AMS?
Originally Posted by dav662
This is a problem with ICAO and they are the people who initiated this ban.
I have been told that this 100ml ban would be lifted soon.
By whom? If it's a reliable source, then that is great news. ^