Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Confiscates Pregnant Woman's Insulin, Ice Packs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Confiscates Pregnant Woman's Insulin, Ice Packs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by cb1111
There is the FT way of making a big stink and then there is the normal way of standing up for your rights.
like that Abbott woman did in Tennessee...
Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Delta Gold
Of course that is not what I was suggesting - and you know it so please do not put words in my mouth.

I said "perhaps"

That aside, there is the possibility that the incident was a wee bit blown out of proportion once she realized that she could get publicity. Refusing to give her name just adds to the publicity and adds to the amount of damages she thinks she can ask for.

Unfortunately, many of you can't see that as your tin foil hats have slipped down over your eyes.

The TSA is not doing security right but not everything is a huge conspiracy to take away our rights.
If one is seeking publicity, isin't it inherent that they NOT try to keep their name confidential? Argument - fail.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:18 pm

Programs: Double Unobtainium, Grace L. Ferguson Airline & Storm Door Co.
Refusing to give her name just adds to the publicity and adds to the amount of damages she thinks she can ask for.
In what world do you live? I'm a journalist and most news organizations -- if not all of them -- dismiss anonymous claims or at the very least give them far less credence than ones made by people who are willing to go on the record. I would love to see your reasoning that anonymity inexorably leads to better publicity possibilities and big bux in the damages department.

Unfortunately, many of you can't see that as your tin foil hats have slipped down over your eyes.
We have Godwin's Law already. I propose cb1111's Law, in which the probability of your making a "tin foil hat" comment in a dismissive tone approaches 1 as a FT thread continues.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:22 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - chairman, HH - Diamond, Marriott - Platinum, TSA - Dog Dung.
Oh great. one more thing to worry about. I travel weekly with insulin and nowadays use the insulated pouches. TSA has far too much to say about ice packs and I will only discuss my medical needs with a doctor.

Good luck to the lady when she goes though the PHX TSA!!
Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:22 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, United
There is the FT way of making a big stink and then there is the normal way of standing up for your rights.
First, the "FT" way isn't only the purview of FT and again, FTers don't act in one particular manner. Plenty of people have made a "big stink" who likely haven't even heard of FT. Plenty of FTers have told you they don't make a "big stink". It would be nice if you could put away that big fat paintbrush you are so fond of painting everyone with, okay? It would be nice of the tin foil hat commentary went with the brush, too.

Second, my experience indicates the "normal way" gets people arrested, or threatened with arrest, or harassed, or leered at or locked up in the little glass cube for 30-40-50-60 minutes, or flights missed, or items stolen or items confiscated or leads to arguments over what the rules are on that particular day, or minute at that particular airport and that particular checkpoint, yadda yadda yadda. As such, could you please let us know what this "normal way" is to which you refer? By the tone, it apparently is quite different than the normal more than a few of us have experienced.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Vidiot
In what world do you live? I'm a journalist and most news organizations -- if not all of them -- dismiss anonymous claims or at the very least give them far less credence than ones made by people who are willing to go on the record. I would love to see your reasoning that anonymity inexorably leads to better publicity possibilities and big bux in the damages department.

You don't really believe that she stayed anonymous from the reporter, do you? The anonymous part won't help with the moola, but the "I'm afraid of retaliation so please, please please don't print my name" might.

We have Godwin's Law already. I propose cb1111's Law, in which the probability of your making a "tin foil hat" comment in a dismissive tone approaches 1 as a FT thread continues.
Sigh.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
What part of "minute" do you not understand. At every checkpoint I've been to, there are lots of signs. One of those signs usually talks about medical supplies.

She cannot be expected to know any changing rules but the basic rule of "I need my meds and they're allowed" hasn't (and won't) change.

She is at fault for quietly giving them up. The fact that she made a big stink afterwards (complete with granny [or whoever] smuggling a few drops through, in conjunction with "I don't want to give my name" makes it sound a bit like publicity stunt.

She'll probably be on GMA next week with a bag over her head.

I'm lucky that the only meds I take are for allergies, but you can bet your last dime that nobody takes my Zyrtec unless they replace it for me on the other side of the checkpoint. That's only common sense. It appears that both the passenger and the TSA dolts were lacking that.
What part of "nothing" do you not understand? Bottom line is TSA took her insulin and that is something TSA is not supposed to do. Whether or not the passenger should have done something to stop the TSA is irrelevant. The initial actions of the TSA (removing the insulin) would have happened if she'd have tried to stop the TSA or not. So you are wrong. The passenger is in no way responsible for the initial actions of the TSA unless you think she willed the TSA to confiscate the insulin. Therefore she cannot be held even minutely responsible.

"She is at fault for giving them up"??? Who's wearing the tin foil hat now? Hint - look in the mirror. If I'm carjacked by a gun toting thug am I at fault for giving up my car because I didn't fight back?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:36 pm

^^^^^^^
Originally Posted by nachtnebel
like that Abbott woman did in Tennessee...
Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
As a former bomb disposal tech what is your take on TSA's liquid restrictions?
The only liquids I've ever used were in binary mixes...a liquid (usually nitromethane) mixed with a solid prior to detonation. But in all cases, the liquids I used STANK, really smelled bad, and were so potent they had to be mixed outdoors. Thats the one inhibiting feature...the smell. It would be immediately obvious.

The liquid restriction is ridiculous. Muslims have been hijacking planes for decades, and only now do we worry about liquids ? The lighter restriction was far better for security, after all even a small fire becomes a serious issue very quickly on a plane. No problems taking a Bic lighter on board, is there ?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:41 pm

So a pregnant woman with diabetes should take chance objecting?
Hma we all know what happens when you raise your voice and have an opinion.
Mayber jail a fine , at least you will be hasseled.

Most people dont want to deal with that since they want from point A to point B.

I would big times. But that is me and I am not afraid. Not everybody is the same. Soecially not "A PREGNANT WOMAN?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 1:47 pm

This seems like an excessive way to try to make the TSA look bad. She lost a bottle of insulin and depending on the type and her insurance situation, could be difficult and/or costly to replace. The injectable insulin that I used to use is failry easy and inexpensive to replace. The stuff I use in my pump requires a prescription and is somewhat costly. It wasn't easy to replace and was an insurance hassle when I forgot it on a road trip once.

It doesn't matter how or why this took place. The fact is the TSA confiscated something that they shouldn't have taken and that's inexcusable. It's not like she was transporting some experimental drug. It's insulin and every bottle I have ever seen is clearly labeled and only 10mL. It's crazy this situation has come up, but then again, I never thought we would be discussing groping 6 year olds and making people remove Depends.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 2:06 pm

Programs: Membership has its benefits, or so I am told.
I saw the link to the news story on my diabetes bulletin board, and came here to check the facts....and unfortunately, there isn't much more here, i am sad to say.

I have been an insulin dependent type I diabetic for 37 years and there is no power on heaven or earth, not even a TSA, a LEO or even god herself, that would be able to take my insulin, walk away with it, and LIVE. Even if I was drunk or pregnant or otherwise incapacitated, (two of which I have been), one would be hard pressed to remove ME from my life support!

I am smart enough to know that a bottle of insulin, once opened, does NOT need to be kept on ice, or even cooled, as long as it is used within 30 days, so I don't even ask for trouble by traveling with an ice pack. Not once in almost 10 years of TSA inhibited-travel has anyone even asked me to take it (or the 3" long syringe needles) out of my diabetes kit and put it in my clear bag...And while I am not a road warrior like some of y'all, I travel a LOT (just went through UA/DEN last week)

I subject myself to the sexual assault when "randomly" selected for the Nude O scope, since the pump can't go through that thing, and I will not remove it for anyone...except maybe an occasional MRI or mammogram. Last week, in Phoenix (en route to DEN), the woman felt me up and down, including my genitals, yet did NOT feel the pump in my pocket.....yeah, I feel so much safer now....

So, I am really curious to hear the rest of this story from the pregnant woman. I am willing to bet she only has gestational diabetes, and hadn't yet developed the HANDS OFF attitude that many life long "real" diabetics have...
Old Aug 5, 2011, 4:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by mikeef
1. Prostrate yourself.

2. Avoid all eye contact so that the TSO doesn't think you're being aggressive.

3. Verbally acknowledge their superiority. The best way to do this is by thanking them for defending the country.

4. Move along, knowing that you are that much safer.

Mike
Actually, I already always do #2 (same reason I don't make eye contact with aggressive dogs, actually), but I will have to change tactics.

Something in the new BDO c**P references pax making mandatory eye contact during grilling. Or else.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
<grrrrrrrr> Just once, I'd really like to see an "I'm sorry" statement from the TSA. I know "it hurts real bad" to say it but c'mon TSA, it's not like I'm asking you to produce a flying pig....
Closest I've ever seen was when one of our non-SAT resident TSOs (real or alleged) posted after the most recent Tom Sawyer episode.

Our resident TSO (real or alleged) posted something to the effect of needing a smiley icon of a head pounding against a wall in frustration.

Without all the usual "we don't know the whole story, the video is misleading, there may be more here than meets the eye (which is why TSA isn't releasing the video), we don't have sound, something else may have been going on that completely exonerates TSO or shifts the blame somehow to the pax, this never happens at our airport, I've seen similar situations and it was always the pax fault."

Of course, I suspect the only reason this pax was given the benefit of a doubt is because Pistole would never have apologized to him the first time if there had been a ghost of a chance to blame the ruptured ostomy bag on something Sawyer did or said.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 5:01 pm

I'm lucky that the only meds I take are for allergies, but you can bet your last dime that nobody takes my Zyrtec unless they replace it for me on the other side of the checkpoint. That's only common sense. It appears that both the passenger and the TSA dolts were lacking that.
You talk a good line.

Lots of us here had that kind of naive trust at one time. As others have pointed out, sometimes you fly dozens of times before you hit the one real bozo who decides to focus on you.

The truth is, if someone at a checkpoint decides Zyrtec isn't allowed, you have no recourse except to check it or surrender it. There is a similar situation with one brand of contact lens solution. See if the signs you see (I haven't seen any regarding medical items in a while, myself) point out that one, and to my knowledge only one, brand of contact solution is prohibited in carry-on.

If a TSO tells you it isn't allowed, you can ask for a higher up. If that individual backs his/her TSO, you will surrender the Zyrtec or leave the checkpoint and deal with it some other way. If you say you've never had a problem before and there's nothing on the website, you will be told the website is out-of-date (has been for almost 10 years) or that this particular airport FSD (or TSO) does it right and everyone else has been doing it wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.