Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Confiscates Pregnant Woman's Insulin, Ice Packs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Confiscates Pregnant Woman's Insulin, Ice Packs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by tev9999
Just when you think the TSA has sunk as low as you can sink.....

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...12/detail.html
Interesting. Presuming it's the "UA-side" checkpoint at DEN, I travel through there quite regularly and it's one of the most efficient and effective checkpoints in the country for insulin and other meds which need to be kept cool.

I wonder whether because the "precautions" advice on the FDA-approved labels has changed to warn against keeping insulin on ice (which can result in the product freezing and becoming useless), the fact that this insulin was on ice and not one of the chemical or air-cooled packs such as Frio, has something to do with it.

Either way, the end result calls for retraining the specific individuals because the rest of the checkpoint functions so well.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: AGR,CO,PC,AA
I have to use an expensive liquid prescription so I really feel for this woman. I really hope she sues for as much as possible. To me this is worse than a tso felling someone up.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: AGR,CO,PC,AA
Hypothetical situation: What if a passenger was traveling with a prescription such as liquid morphine and a TSO decided to "require the voluntary surrender" of it. Could you then have the TSO arrested for being in possession of a controlled substance?
I take a controlled substance and it will never leave my sight voluntarily with a tso. They will have to arrest me to separate me from my meds; I can't live without them and I will not ever fly without them.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hypothetical situation: What if a passenger was traveling with a prescription such as liquid morphine and a TSO decided to "require the voluntary surrender" of it. Could you then have the TSO arrested for being in possession of a controlled substance?
I would not move from that spot and demand a LEO be called. We have to be willing to escalate these issues when they are happening.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Interesting. Presuming it's the "UA-side" checkpoint at DEN, I travel through there quite regularly and it's one of the most efficient and effective checkpoints in the country for insulin and other meds which need to be kept cool.

I wonder whether because the "precautions" advice on the FDA-approved labels has changed to warn against keeping insulin on ice (which can result in the product freezing and becoming useless), the fact that this insulin was on ice and not one of the chemical or air-cooled packs such as Frio, has something to do with it.

Either way, the end result calls for retraining the specific individuals because the rest of the checkpoint functions so well.
Why would that be a TSA concern?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: *wood Gold
Why just a retraining?

That's part of the problem.

Our government hires people who are so desperate for jobs that they're looking on pizza boxes for them, then gives them a modicum of training, and sics them on the public in the name of God knows what.

People who confiscate things improperly need to be made an example of to the rest of the the TSOs at the checkpoint. If you make one mistake and improperly confiscate one item, you should be summarily fired. No retraining, no second chances, no "I'm sorrys". Fired. F-I-R-E-D. Gone. Scram. Forced to finally eat the chocolate portion of your badge contained inside the tin wrapper.

Once we have a few folks who are fired for that sort of thing, I'll bet we'll see a whole lot fewer incidents of improper confiscation (THEFT) at checkpoints. It's time for our government to start treating TSA the way they deserve: like disposable resources.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: OnePass
Originally Posted by Upstate
I have to use an expensive liquid prescription so I really feel for this woman. I really hope she sues for as much as possible. To me this is worse than a tso felling someone up.
I'm on Enbrel. It's $400/shot. It has to be kept cold. If the TSA were to confiscate that there would be hell to pay.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow
Not sure how "you" could. The crime committed against you might be theft, butas we all know, if the screener wants your pasta, hummus, water bottle, sunscreen, pie or injectable drugs...they are never stolen from you; you gift them to your screener.
Let me rephrase. Say the screener refuses to let the liquids through and bullies you into surrendering it. You then go find the closest LEO and point them to the screener that received your meds. Can that LEO then arrest the TSO that forced the passenger to surrender them for possession? Can they arrest you for distribution, which was done under duress?

As we know that many TSOs are not above stealing, it is not much of a stretch that they would use their power to obtain drugs to either use or sell.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:18 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
Insulin is expensive (I think Humulin runs ~$50/vial). If a screener took both the woman's ice packs and her insulin (but left a half-empty vial), then I think it is equally likely that the screener is either:

a) an idiot,
b) a diabetic, or
c) a friend/relative of a diabetic.

Actually, given the body condition of your typical screener, I might even bump choice B up a little bit in likelihood.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:21 am

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by eturowski
Insulin is expensive (I think Humulin runs ~$50/vial). If a screener took both the woman's ice packs and her insulin (but left a half-empty vial), then I think it is equally likely that the screener is either:

a) an idiot,
b) a diabetic, or
c) a friend/relative of a diabetic.
-or-

d) Someone with a connection to somebody who's willing to buy insulin.

There's a reason why "eBay Selling 101" is now considered to be a standard part of the TSA training regimen.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:26 am
Suspended

No, I think the TSA has had enough chances for "retraining," and needs to start training the replacements correctly in the first place.

However, there are some problems with that:

1) The TSA has shown repeatedly that they're incapable of training their personnel correctly in the first place (see the OIG report on TSA training - or lack thereof - here.)

2) In more than one case, "retraining" has had no effect - notably when it comes to screening the elderly, the handicapped (or "differently-abled"), and the young.

It is high time for the not-so-grand experiment called "the TSA" to come to an ignominious end.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:05 am

Programs: HP/US Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Maybe they were scared she'd attack a non-diabetic with it.....
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
If this happened as posted, the TSOs directly involved, as well as any who saw what was going on and their supervisor should all go for retraining and disciplinary action.

Fellow TSOs should 'police' each other - you know, 'see something, say something'. And a supervisor needs to get his/her fat rear out on the floor and see what is going on. Failure to do so should have consequences.

You note that you often travel through DEN and the handling of meds is done correctly. Do you pay particular attention to med-handling at checkpoints or do you travel with/accompany someone who travels with meds that need to be declared?

I ask because although I have travelled with declared meds, I don't recall it being particularly easy to linger at a DEN checkpoint to closely observe the way the process works. I'm curious what your vantage point is.

The checkpoint is not 'functioning well' until all of its components are functioning. I also find it likely, (not inevitable, but likely) that TSOs at the checkpoint who don't know how to properly clear meds probably don't perform other tasks particularly well either.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:28 am

Truly, These people have no souls.

If a Blueshirt is willing to steal a persons insulin, there is no limit to what they would do to a person if ordered by another Blue Shirt with an extra stripe.

How anyone could continue to work for this evil organization is a completely foreign concept to anyone possessing a scrap of humanity.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by chollie
If this happened as posted, the TSOs directly involved, as well as any who saw what was going on and their supervisor should all go for retraining and disciplinary action.

Fellow TSOs should 'police' each other - you know, 'see something, say something'. And a supervisor needs to get his/her fat rear out on the floor and see what is going on. Failure to do so should have consequences.

You note that you often travel through DEN and the handling of meds is done correctly. Do you pay particular attention to med-handling at checkpoints or do you travel with/accompany someone who travels with meds that need to be declared?

I ask because although I have travelled with declared meds, I don't recall it being particularly easy to linger at a DEN checkpoint to closely observe the way the process works. I'm curious what your vantage point is.

The checkpoint is not 'functioning well' until all of its components are functioning. I also find it likely, (not inevitable, but likely) that TSOs at the checkpoint who don't know how to properly clear meds probably don't perform other tasks particularly well either.
If it happened as posted, then everybody involved should be terminated.

Insulin/supplies unfortunately aren't rare anymore and the individuals involved should have known better.

A minute portion of the blame goes to the passenger as well. Had she known the rules, then she should have escalated the matter until she got to someone bright enough to allow it through.

Even if it happened as posted, one has to wonder "was she looking for publicity?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.