Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Confiscates Pregnant Woman's Insulin, Ice Packs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Confiscates Pregnant Woman's Insulin, Ice Packs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2011, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AirlineBrat53
Here's what BB says at the Blog today:

Truth or Dare, who is telling the truth?
How can you tell when a TSA employee is not telling the truth?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
They are talking or posting!
Old Aug 9, 2011, 7:11 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First

Bob has a history of being untruthful including his infamous lie that the scans from the WBIs are so innocuous they are ready to grace the cover of Reader's Digest and be handed out to all the preschoolers in your area of town.

If Bob said that water was wet, I would turn on the tap and determine that for myself.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
His name is 'Bob'.

(or Pistole...or....)
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or perhaps the earlier poster who suggested the screener might have stolen the insulin might be the true answer.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Or perhaps the earlier poster who suggested the screener might have stolen the insulin might be the true answer.
Why would a clerk steal a container of insulin? (I truly don't know.) Do the vials look like some other controlled substance that they would be interested in stealing? I can't imagine black-market insulin would fetch much on Craigslist.

Or -- perhaps the clerk really wanted to steal the syringes?

Regardless, I have zero confidence that the TSA actually reviewed the tapes and interview the "officers" involved. And, they made no attempt to interview the passenger.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 6:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ITravelThereforeIam
Not that I want to divert this important discussion, but I wanted to point out that type 2 diabetes (which can be controlled by diet/pills) is a different disease than type 1, and I am willing to bet this woman had gestational diabetes, which is a 3rd kind. In type 1, the body, through no fault of the person, does not make ANY insulin and is required to put it in their body, or die. I could lose 20 pounds and I would still need insulin!

A gestational diabetic's organs are working for two and the pancreas can not sometimes meet the need/demand, so the mother must inject or she and/or her fetus will suffer greatly. AND in fact many type 2s are not just lazy and incompetent, but their pancreas has just worn out....it is sometimes a chicken/egg question...as the pancreas begins to wear out, blood sugar rises, but very little gets converted to energy...so you feel hungry and tired, so you eat more, which makes your blood sugar go higher, and yet, you are still hungry, and that soaring blood sugar makes it impossible to get up and walk around, let alone "work out." Endocrine and metabolic meltdown.....

Yes, we are debating TSA, and I am sorry for jumping in, but I do follow these conversations as they are important to me, but let's not cavalierly discuss diabetes and whose "fault" the disease is, if we don't know what it really is (and "most" people don't.....).

thanks
Nice try, but I wouldn't have bothered. Some people here would just say that it's her fault for getting pregnant.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 6:26 am

I read the TSA Blog and I'm confused why her insulin wasn't there. That would be one of the first things I would pack and double check to make sure I had it.

There are a couple of things the Bob posted that interested me regarding the sprots drink and the ice pack. The first one is in the original post:

"Because the passenger stated that she was a diabetic, she was permitted to take the sports drink through the checkpoint."

The next one is in the comments:

"If there was medication in the bag, the ice could have been partially melted and been permitted.

With no medication, it would have to be frozen solid in order to be permitted."

I'm going to print that out and take it with me the next time I fly. How much hassle do you think I will get for having an ice pack and a bottle of juice, soda, or sports drink? I predict it won't go smoothly even with the printout from the website.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 6:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by spd476
I'm going to print that out and take it with me the next time I fly. How much hassle do you think I will get for having an ice pack and a bottle of juice, soda, or sports drink? I predict it won't go smoothly even with the printout from the website.
I predict the response from the TSA clerk will be "The website is out of date, and I'm going to have to confisca... er, 'accept the voluntary surrender' of your drink and ice pack."
Old Aug 10, 2011, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Caradoc
I predict the response from the TSA clerk will be "The website is out of date, and I'm going to have to confisca... er, 'accept the voluntary surrender' of your drink and ice pack."
That's what I expect to happen. I have some disposable ice packs that ship with medication that I wouldn't care about losing. I'm tempted to try to get a sugar free soda through. I would pick one that doesn't specifically say "diet" on it. That way I can have something to drink without paying the inflated airside prices.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 6:53 am

I read the TSA Blog and I'm confused why her insulin wasn't there. That would be one of the first things I would pack and double check to make sure I had it.
Warning: completely uninformed speculation follows.

There are several possibilities that present themselves that would look more favorably on TSA than the initial reports.

Possibility one: the passenger was mistaken about how many vials she had originally packed. After a stressful encounter at a TSA checkpoint, she gets to her destination, discovers she doesn't have the insulin she thought she had packed, and erroneously concludes that it had been taken by TSA.

Possibility two: in the process of inspecting the passenger's bags, one or more vials of insulin were removed but never returned to her bags (either by the passenger or the TSOs involved). The items were then accidentally abandoned at the checkpoint ... and, being probably unlabeled, there was no way for TSA to return them to her in a timely fashion.

What actually happened? Who knows ...
Old Aug 10, 2011, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Warning: completely uninformed speculation follows.

There are several possibilities that present themselves that would look more favorably on TSA than the initial reports.

Possibility one: the passenger was mistaken about how many vials she had originally packed. After a stressful encounter at a TSA checkpoint, she gets to her destination, discovers she doesn't have the insulin she thought she had packed, and erroneously concludes that it had been taken by TSA.

Possibility two: in the process of inspecting the passenger's bags, one or more vials of insulin were removed but never returned to her bags (either by the passenger or the TSOs involved). The items were then accidentally abandoned at the checkpoint ... and, being probably unlabeled, there was no way for TSA to return them to her in a timely fashion.

What actually happened? Who knows ...
I believe that each individual vial requires a label to indicate what is in the vial, expiration date and lot number.

edit to add: BB indicates in his TSA Blog post that had medicine been in the carrier partially melted ice packs would have been allowed. From my reading of the TSA.GOV website that is not the case.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...eds/index.shtm

[QUOTE]Additionally, we are continuing to permit prescription liquid medications and other liquids needed by persons with disabilities and medical conditions. This includes:

All prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including petroleum jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes;

Liquids including water, juice, or liquid nutrition or gels for passengers with a disability or medical condition;

Life-support and life-sustaining liquids such as bone marrow, blood products, and transplant organs;

Items used to augment the body for medical or cosmetic reasons such as mastectomy products, prosthetic breasts, bras or shells containing gels, saline solution, or other liquids; and,

Frozen items are allowed as long as they are frozen solid when presented for screening. If frozen items are partially melted, slushy, or have any liquid at the bottom of the container, they must meet 3-1-1 requirements.[/QUOTE]

Bob may be correct in his assessment of what is permitted but the TSA guidance seems to allow various interpretations which will be a problem for travelers.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Aug 10, 2011 at 7:57 am Reason: removed extraneous text
Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bob may be correct in his assessment of what is permitted but the TSA guidance seems to allow various interpretations which will be a problem for travelers.
Bob has given yet another example of TSA "logic"

Partially melted ice keeping a drink cold is a security threat
Partially melted ice keeping medication cold is safe

Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Tom M.
Bob has given yet another example of TSA "logic"

Partially melted ice keeping a drink cold is a security threat
Partially melted ice keeping medication cold is safe

Depending on the checkpoint, the partially melted ice for keeping the medicine cold will also be a security threat. You just never know what is going to be a threat that day, whether photography is permitted, whether your shoes need to be on the belt it in the bin. That's one of my problems with the TSA. I just never know what is the proper procedure is going to be and the TSA won't tell me. The unpredictablility layer of security they talk about is just a cover for letting them do whatever they want.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:31 am

There are a couple of things the Bob posted that interested me regarding the sprots drink and the ice pack. The first one is in the original post:

"Because the passenger stated that she was a diabetic, she was permitted to take the sports drink through the checkpoint."

The next one is in the comments:

"If there was medication in the bag, the ice could have been partially melted and been permitted.

With no medication, it would have to be frozen solid in order to be permitted."

The only purpose that taking taking an ice pack and the website printout will serve is that it will make a nice distraction if there is something else you really want to take through the checkpoint. They will be so busy making an issue of it they will not even see your bottle of juice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.