Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2012, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
San Diego

Went through the UA/Alaska elite line at San Diego today. A TSA clerk was directing people from that line and the one to the left--one person into the NOS, the next to the X-ray. I dawdled enough to be the next one for the X-ray but was directed to wait for the NOS instead.

Had to do the usual assertion to see my belongings while waiting--and waiting--for a female groper. By then I was in a bad mood; several other things had already gone wrong and this was the last straw. So when the groper asked me if I had any sensitive areas, I said what I've been wanting to say for months: wherever a stranger touches me. Her retort was, "Then you shouldn't be flying." There were so many things I wanted to respond with but held my tongue since I did want to fly today.

Since it's unlikely the TSA's theater productions will ever close, the dissemination of PreCheck can't come too soon. (I've been enjoying it at ORD but haven't been in another airport that has it for United yet.)
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by joelfreak
The following is an account of what just occurred to my partner and I at JFK:
As a type 1 diabetic, I use an insulin pump at all times. The manufacturer of that pump has advised me NEVER to go through any of the advanced screening methods, as it can adversely effect the reliability of my device. When presenting myself to security at JFK Terminal 7 on 9/26, agents refused to allow me to be screened by the magnetometer as other passengers with disabilities and small children are allowed to do, and said that I would be treated as an Opt-Out, even though I did not Opt-Out, I was medically unable to pass through the AIT. I was told that I would be forced to undergo a secondary pat-down even though I had done nothing that would show reason why I would require such a screening. Upon notification of my objection, the supervisor came over and told me that "if you want to fly today, you will be getting a pat-down." When I requested that he call a law enforcement officer to take a report and witness this discrimination, I was told that no LEO would be called. I had to call 911 in order to get police to respond, which took about 30 minutes. I was told that ANYONE who could not go through the AIT MUST get a secondary pat-down, no matter if they are disabled. During my pat-down, which took more than 15 minutes to complete, two officers went through EVERY item I had, including taking EACH of my credit cards out, and inspecting each side closely, and separating every dollar bill I had from the others. I clearly was not only discriminated against for being a diabetic, but also for complaining about the TSA.
How did you phrase the assertion that you should not go through the machine? Was it "this will damage my insulin pump" or "this will cause my insulin pump to send me into insulin shock and kill me"? While I see them as the same (because I am capable of thinking above a second grade level) the actual wording may make a difference. To the TSO, one sounds like going through the AIT will harm a thing while the other suggests it will harm a person. Next time try explaining that the AIT has the ability to send you into insulin shock and could kill you since it will interfere with a device that keeps you alive.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:12 am

Angry "...name and badge number of TSA employees you spoke with..."

I joined Flyertalk earlier this year and I must say that I have a new found respect for the American people...errrr...at least the traveling public that comment on this particular thread. So, first and foremost, I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed here. It's so refreshing to witness the comments of others who share my frustrations regarding the security theatre practices of the TSA.

Now to my story. A few months back I traveled from BOS to JAX. Upon reaching the checkpoint it was obvious that I was going to have to opt out. I waited maybe two minutes for the groper to beckon me to where I was to be molested. I don't know what this guy's problem was but man was he rough. This caused pain in the area where "my legs meet my torso". Now, let me just say that I was not rude to this gentleman; however, I certainly didn't extend a gracious invitation to have him put his hands where they don't belong, either.

After he tested his magic strip and cleared me I asked him for his name and employee number (I refuse to acknowledge those Christmas tree ornaments as badges). He mumbled something and then said he needed to discuss my request with his manager. When he returned he told me that all the information I requested could be obtained from his manager who was sitting in a chair in the exit of the adjacent checkpoint lane.

I then gathered my stuff and walked over to the STSO. I asked him for the name and employee number of the TSO who patted me down, his name and employee number, and a complaint form. I was not asked what had happened, I was not asked why I was requesting a complaint form, I was shown zero respect by this STSO, and to top it all off, this guy refused to identify the groper's name or employee number. He told me that he could only give me his name and his [badge] employee number. After stating this he scribbled his information on the back of a complaint form and handed it to me. I took the form and proceeded to my gate.

When I got home I reviewed the complaint form. On the front, it states:

"It would be helpful to provide the following information: airport and terminal, date and time of your trip, airline and flight number, name and badge number of TSA employees you spoke with, and any other pertinent information".

So, it surely seems like this STSO lied to me. It has now been over five months since I made my complaint to TSA about the TSO's rough pat down and the STSO's lies. I have yet to receive a response or even an acknowledgement that my complaint was received by the TSA. In the meantime, however, I have received a response from both of my senators and my representative - of course their responses were nothing but vague and ambiguous rhetoric. Furthermore, I also contacted the airline and told them what had happened. They responded to me one day after I contacted them and they were actually very nice and promised they would forward my comments to their TSA ombudsman (please don't think I was under the impression that they could/would do anything but I figured it wouldn't hurt). (disclosure: I sent my complaint to the TSA via snail-mail but communicated with the airline via email)

So, after this experience I have vowed that I will no longer fly. I've had it. I'm through. I will drive from now on. I understand that some people have jobs that require them to fly. I however do not have to fly for my job. Air travel is a discretionary convenience for me so I say no more. Thanks for listening!
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:49 pm

The End of an Era

As long as it has been possible I have always opted out. This will never change, I will always be an opt-out. However, on the very rare occasion that the radiation machines were out, non operational or non existent, I was looking forward to the WTMD and the easy way to proceed. And of course overseas except in the UK, WTMDs are the standard means of screening. But a month ago I had knee replacement surgery and the walk through the WTMD now triggers an alarm. This then means I will get the pat down just as I would when I opt out. The good old days are gone. Not looking forward to air travel anymore at all
Old Oct 2, 2012, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
How did you phrase the assertion that you should not go through the machine? Was it "this will damage my insulin pump" or "this will cause my insulin pump to send me into insulin shock and kill me"? While I see them as the same (because I am capable of thinking above a second grade level) the actual wording may make a difference. To the TSO, one sounds like going through the AIT will harm a thing while the other suggests it will harm a person. Next time try explaining that the AIT has the ability to send you into insulin shock and could kill you since it will interfere with a device that keeps you alive.
I'm sorry but the reality is that to the TSO a person is a thing.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:08 pm

I had to opt out at PDX today, although TSA was letting people through the WTMD when the MMW scanners were backed up (as explained by a TSO when I inquired). Before I pushed my belongings into the baggage scanner, I told the TSO who was directing bin filling activities in front of the baggage scanner that I would be opting out but wanted to keep my belongings in sight. He told me to put my belongings on top of the near end of the baggage scanner and stand nearby, and he radioed for a groper right away. The groper arrived about 5 minutes later. She told me to put my belongings through the scanner, picked them up on the other end, and was courteous and professional throughout; she changed her gloves and swabbed them in front of me before she started the groping, too. Afterwards, she thanked me for being patient.

This was my first opt-out in which another pax opted out at the same time. He told me he wanted to avoided the radiation blast.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:35 am

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
After PreCheck failed at DCA yesterday, I was directed to a line that was using MMW exclusively (no WTMD), so I opted out. I stood at a gate, slightly past the WTMD and to the left of the MMW. For some reason the staff kept telling me to back up (even with the WMTD). I wasn't blocking the WTMD, so I don't really know why they needed me to move. I told them I would not because then I could not keep an eye on my stuff. They weren't really irritable about it. It was more like they thought I did not understand their hand gestures or I didn't hear them. Anyway, about a minute into this a 3-striper came over and asked what was going on. I explained why I was standing there. He undid the tensa-belt in front of the WTMD and let me walk through. The staff on the other side kept asking if I needed to be patted down, but the 3-striper said "just let him go."
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Schmurrr
I had to opt out at PDX today, although TSA was letting people through the WTMD when the MMW scanners were backed up (as explained by a TSO when I inquired). Before I pushed my belongings into the baggage scanner, I told the TSO who was directing bin filling activities in front of the baggage scanner that I would be opting out but wanted to keep my belongings in sight. He told me to put my belongings on top of the near end of the baggage scanner and stand nearby, and he radioed for a groper right away. The groper arrived about 5 minutes later. She told me to put my belongings through the scanner, picked them up on the other end, and was courteous and professional throughout; she changed her gloves and swabbed them in front of me before she started the groping, too. Afterwards, she thanked me for being patient.

This was my first opt-out in which another pax opted out at the same time. He told me he wanted to avoided the radiation blast.
Which side of the terminal was this - A/B/C or D/E? I find that the D/E gates are way better at handling opt-outs than the A/B/C for some reason (less crowded maybe?).
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Buster
Which side of the terminal was this - A/B/C or D/E? I find that the D/E gates are way better at handling opt-outs than the A/B/C for some reason (less crowded maybe?).
It was A/B/C.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:54 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
As long as it has been possible I have always opted out. This will never change, I will always be an opt-out. However, on the very rare occasion that the radiation machines were out, non operational or non existent, I was looking forward to the WTMD and the easy way to proceed. And of course overseas except in the UK, WTMDs are the standard means of screening. But a month ago I had knee replacement surgery and the walk through the WTMD now triggers an alarm. This then means I will get the pat down just as I would when I opt out. The good old days are gone. Not looking forward to air travel anymore at all
I feel for you; I remember the day in 2008 when my GP squinted at the x-ray and said, "Wow, you have really bad arthritis in that hip; I'm sending you to see a surgeon." She didn't say "hip replacement" but it was implied all the same.

My first thought was NOT about my long-term prospects for pain-free living.
My first thought was NOT about the pain and inconvenience of surgery.
My first thought was NOT about the cost of the surgery and rehab.
My first thought was NOT about having to take time off work or rearranging family commitments.

My first thought was "D@mn! There's airport security screwed up for the rest of my life!!"

Stay strong.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
I feel for you; I remember the day in 2008 when my GP squinted at the x-ray and said, "Wow, you have really bad arthritis in that hip; I'm sending you to see a surgeon." She didn't say "hip replacement" but it was implied all the same.

My first thought was NOT about having to take time off work or rearranging family commitments.

My first thought was "D@mn! There's airport security screwed up for the rest of my life!!"

Stay strong.
When I re-tore my ACL last November and was told I needed surgery to correct it, my first thought was, "D@mn! Maybe I'll be able to walk without pain in my knee for the first time in 20 years!"

I didn't think of airport security for at least 5 minutes.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:45 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by WillCAD
When I re-tore my ACL last November and was told I needed surgery to correct it, my first thought was, "D@mn! Maybe I'll be able to walk without pain in my knee for the first time in 20 years!"

I didn't think of airport security for at least 5 minutes.
You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

Or perhaps my sequence was different because I was sitting down and not in excruciating pain at that exact instant. Or my pain had only been going on for six months, not 20 years.

I hope at least you got the pain-free part, even if we both have to suffer the airport security part.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by RadioGirl

Stay strong.
Exactly my thoughts amplified by the surgeon's remark "There goes your event free airport screening".
Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:55 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Unfortunately I had another run in with TSA, this time by myself, without my partner:
While traveling on 10/3/12 from LGA-MSP, I attempted to clear the TSA checkpoint at Terminal 7 for the C gates. I opted out of the AIT, and was told I would get a pat down. I was notified that one of my bags needed a bag check, and then I received my patdown. After my patdown, my bag was gone through where a can of over the counter foot spray that I require for medical reasons was taken out, and I was told that it could not travel in carry-on luggage. I explained that I was only going on an overnight trip, and I had just traveled on 2 flights with the same bag and there had not been a problem. I also told the agent that I needed the spray for medical reasons, and I would have no problem with them screening it as had been done at other checkpoints. I alerted them that it did not come in any other sizes. I was told that since it was an over the counter foot spray it could be bought at my arrival location, and that there is no way it could be considered a medical liquid. At this point I asked for an FSO to be called, as the TSA's own policies allow medical liquids in aerosol cans over over 3.4oz (http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...essary-liquids). I was first told there was no such thing as an FSO, and when I made it clear I wanted a supervisor, I was told there would not be any available for hours, as there were none currently in the airport, and I would miss my flight. At that point, I asked for law enforcement to be called, so a report of my property being taken from me due to the TSA declaring it could not be a medical liquid. I was told that law enforcement would not be called until I gave my ID and my boarding pass to the TSA agent. I informed them that I would happily give that information to the police officer. At that time the agent, Ms. XYZ informed me that she was a "Federal Officer" and if she demanded my ID I MUST produce it. She stated that once I entered security, and even when I was in a gate area, I must produce ID and/or a boarding pass to TSA upon demand. While remaining composed, I informed the TSA agent that I had requested law enforcement, and I had the right for them to be called. Agent XYZ turned to a coworker and instructed them to call the police for a "belligerent passenger who was interfering with the security process". I asked agent XYZ how I was belligerent, and I was told that by refusing to give her my ID and boarding pass even though I had ALREADY provided those items to enter the secure area (so there was no question as to if I possessed a valid ID and boarding pass) I required such a call to the police. I was then told that I should "stop playing your game to get a rise out of us" and that "I know you people just try to get a rise out of us when all we are doing is enforcing the rules that congress makes". After about 7 minutes, a police officer arrived, and realized the situation was not a crisis, and called off the 5 other officers that were following him. He informed me that he was more than willing to take a report, but he could not tell the TSA what to do. I agreed with that, and gave him all of my information, including my licence, boarding pass and phone number, which he handed over to the TSA agent. After he wrote his report, agent XYZ informed us that the bag that the spray was removed from had not yet been cleared, and required that it go back to xray for another scan. The bag disappeared for about 5 minutes before it even appeared through xray, where even the officer tried to find out where the bag went due to the delay. The bag was AGAIN flagged, and the officer and I watched another TSA agent, under the instruction of agent XYZ open the bag and inspect EACH AND EVERY item within the bag, including turning on my emergency flashlights, and removing every item from its carrying case. This took about 10 more minutes. I had informed the TSA that I had an 11:30AM flight, and this delay brought us to 11:45AM, I believe to intentionally make sure I missed my flight. Luckily, after I was finally cleared, I managed to RUN to the gate and be the last person aboard my flight which had been delayed 20 minutes without my knowledge. I believe that not only was a medical item seized from me against the TSA's own rules, but that the TSA agent made a wildly exaggerated report to the police which resulted in many officers responding unnecessarily. Also, I feel that the process AFTER the police report was made was retaliatory for my objection to the agent, and was NOT because the bag alarmed. The Port Authority Police report is number XXXX.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 5:42 am

WWW.oig.dhs.gov/hotline/hotline.PHP

@

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.