Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2011, 7:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by sk3
Thanks for the info (and sorry to hear you weren't luckier ). May I ask you - did the TSO also give your hand the EDT test? And/or were any of your carryon items tested?
No and no. In all it took 10 minutes from "I opt out" to good bye.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Almost had to opt-out at BNA a couple of hours ago. MMWs used as primary in all lanes, so SDOO not an option. One thing I did notice was that, at least in the diamond lane, all men were being shepherded thru the NOS, but children and many women were being allowed to use the WTMD without a scan. (The TSOs manning the lane were both women.) I was all set to utter the magic words, but the TSO directing traffic at the mouth of the scanner/WTMD pulled the rope to block the NOS just as I was placing my laptop & bin into the xray tunnel.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 1:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by UALpremier
Incidently, because I opted out and held the line back for half a minute, my friend got the metal detector

If ALL pat downs were guaranteed to be like that, I wouldn't be so concerned. I think, however, that I got lucky here.
Well, at SFO T2 today, my friend forgot to take off his belt and so was "randomly" selected for the pat-down. Let me say this was not the pat-down I had at LAX --his was the invasive squeeze his testicles and run a finger down his underwear pat-down. Totally different from my experience at LAX a few days earlier. Incidently, the TSO said the SFO T2 would get scanners "soon".

Clearly not ALL patdowns are like what I had at LAX.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 1:35 am

Programs: AA Plat/1MM
Originally Posted by bdschobel
FLL, Terminal 2 (Delta), June 21, 5:15 am: Directed to NoS and opted out. Male assist arrived quickly. Pleasant enough. Gave me the usual spiel. I objected to the word "resistance," telling him repeatedly (while he kept repeating his canned speech) that I had no intention of resisting him because that would be "interfering with the screening process." I asked him several times, "Do you mean my testicles?" At long last, after 5 or so minutes of debate in front of two supervisors and a very nice screening manager, the clerk admitted that he would be touching my testicles. At that point, I told him to go ahead.

Afterward, I had a long conversation with the screening manager about the absurdity of the word "resistance." He seemed to agree, without explicitly saying so, but said that they just read a script that comes from headquarters, and they have no power to deviate from that script. After another 5 minutes or so, I headed to the Sky Club.

Bruce
At least, you got the clerk to admit that they would be touching your testicles. More power to you for enlightening these morons. By the way, they squirm even more if you use the word SCROTUM.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 6:46 pm

Programs: CO Pres. Plat, SPG
I've now been through the scanners and a couple of opt-outs at RDU.

I am now 100% convinced I could carry a weapon on my body undetected, through either the scanner or the pat-down process.

The RDU TSA office is in the same building as the office I visit when in RDU. Should I drop in and offer to show them a weakness with their security during my next visit? Surely they have a demo checkpoint set up at the office.

The other option, coming through the checkpoint with a simulated weapon on my person, going through the process and then demanding a supervisor come watch as I retrieve the weapon they missed once I am cleared, seems somewhat ill-advised. Would make for great video, though.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
Got another Freedom Grope today at BOS, Terminal A (right entry).

NoS was primary, so I opted out.

I think the hands in the hair/fingers in the waistband method has become SOP. It has consistently been performed during my last few pat downs.

The only problem I had was that while I was waiting for a female assist (which took a good 5 minutes, even though there were plenty of female screeners at the checkpoint ), I lost sight of my belongings on the belt. I said, "Ma'am, I cannot see my belongings" to the screener once and was ignored, but when I said it again (more loudly), she allowed me to go through the metal detector and stand in the sterile area where I could see my things until they found someone to grope me (oddly enough, it was the very same screener).

I was really tempted to ask her to clarify "resistance" while she was explaining the procedure, but I was going through security at 7:30 a.m. for an 8:00 flight and didn't want to push my luck.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:39 pm

Today I was threatened with physical violence by a 3 striper.

In ATL, I'm normally able to self select, but was unable to today. I got 1 striper who had patted me down once before and I remember him because he is very slow and tentative, having to ask a supervisor about regulations. Normal pat down until he gets to my legs, which he tells me to spread them shoulder width apart. I respond that they are, no one else has had a problem with my many pat downs in the past. Tentative agent stops the pat down.

Here comes 3 striper big shot. He makes me sit down to listen to what he is going to touch, I'm not paying attention to him and miss him asking if I want a private screening. He says his question wasn't rhetorical and I responded that I missed his question and asked what it was. He then said I should have listened and repeated the whole thing over again. Pat down starts all over and finishes.

After pat down I mention that he needs to talk to the 1 striper and get his issues worked out as he always has to call a supervisor for things he should know how to handle. He responds saying he is a good agent, TSA babble, etc. He then comes back to say some more stuff and I've had enough at this point.

I told him to please step back as his breathe spelled extremely bad. His breathe was so bad that I could smell it 2 feet away. He says that's original and some other stuff, I respond sorry but it is the truth. He then comes back over to me and says that he gets off at 1PM and I should come back then to finish it.

I notified the LEO and Terminal Supervisor or Director (whatever his title is). Another 1 striper was within ear shot, but of course deigned hearing anything. Another passenger heard it, but didn't want to get involved. The 3 striper deigned saying it, but the (Suit)Supervisor said he has had a previous history of complaints and normally doesn't work that terminal. He is supposed to be following up with the 3 striper's normal supervisor. Most likely it will just be more "training".

If had time, I probably would have pushed just get a police report on him, but I just made it to the gate before they shut the door.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
This morning I had an interesting addition to the Freedom Grope at PHX Sky Harbor Terminal 4 A-Gates entrance.

The barker happened to be standing close to me when I rejected the Nudoscope, and she followed me over to the shake-down area. Interestingly, the Freedom Grope required five people to complete - me, the barker, the groper, and two baggage handlers to move my shoes, belt, bag, computer, and jacket.

Once the groper started in, she told him to check my wrists. He fixated on my wrists, and eventually asked me to unbutton my sleeves so he could give them a good feel.

Eventually the grope ended and everybody disappeared, but this was the first time I have had to undo my shirtsleeve buttons. The barker had lost interest once the groper finished with my arms, so I didn't get a chance to ask why. The baggage handlers just sort of stood there slackjawed and watched the whole time.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 6:48 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Wilbur
This morning I had an interesting addition to the Freedom Grope at PHX Sky Harbor Terminal 4 A-Gates entrance.

The barker happened to be standing close to me when I rejected the Nudoscope, and she followed me over to the shake-down area. Interestingly, the Freedom Grope required five people to complete - me, the barker, the groper, and two baggage handlers to move my shoes, belt, bag, computer, and jacket.

Once the groper started in, she told him to check my wrists. He fixated on my wrists, and eventually asked me to unbutton my sleeves so he could give them a good feel.

Eventually the grope ended and everybody disappeared, but this was the first time I have had to undo my shirtsleeve buttons. The barker had lost interest once the groper finished with my arms, so I didn't get a chance to ask why. The baggage handlers just sort of stood there slackjawed and watched the whole time.
Bolding mine: It's a good thing you weren't wearing that ebil ter'wrist invisible bracelet as they could have simply just rubbed your forearms and pressed your sleeves against you skin and found it. Oh wait, this from the agency that uses HHMD's on bare skin...
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by CavePearl
... and he shrugged and said "Well, it varies from airport to airport." Good grief. Is it so difficult to set a standard??
It sure is. I had the same conversation about a different issue (presenting my boarding pass twice) at EWR earlier this month. The TSA agent told me I would need to wait because there was something suspicious in my bag after I made my complaint. Then he must have realize it would be more trouble then it was worth to search my bag, so he just called over a supervisor to chastise me. I told the supervisor airport standards should be consistent, and he replied that they could do whatever they want at EWR. Magically, that suspicious item in my bag was no longer an issue after that.

As a side note, I ended my conversation with the supervisor saying "yes sir, no sir, etc." I heard one of the agents standing nearby say something like "Oh, now it's sir" to her coworker. Not bright enough to pick up on the sarcasm, I guess they thought I was just suddenly in awe over the power of a TSA supervisor.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 1:41 am

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Interesting -- the screening manager who was one of the clerks who swarmed around me during a similar confrontation said that the clerk would NOT be touching my testicles.
Well, whether they touch your testicles or not really depends on which part of the "package" hangs lower (could conceivably vary day to day, depending on temperature, I suppose). They are required to meet resistance and there are two (well, three) potential sources of resistance so it really depends.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:06 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
DAY, 6/28/2011, 6 a.m. Only one lane open, and 100% MMW. Had a little chain blocking off the WTMD.

I opt out when motioned into the MMW. Female screener says OK, and walks through gate next to the MMW. I try to follow her, and she gets snippy and says "you can't go through there, you have to go through the WTMD." I think she was hoping for an alarm, but whatever. She moves the chain blocking the WTMD and I go through. No alarm. Then she tried to make me stand right by the WTMD well out of sight of my stuff. I say "I need to see my belongings" and start walking closer to the end of the x-ray chute. She gets even snippier, and essentially blocks my way. I tell her that the website says passengers should "insist" on keeping property in sight. Without further discussion there seems to be an effective compromise where I stand about 5 feet from where she originally put me and at least have some line-of-site to my stuff, which by this point is holding up the entire lane.

Female screener finds male 3-striper to do the opt-out. The checkpoint was swarming with 3 stripers; I saw at least 4. Male screener identifies my stuff and moves farther down stream. Groper was older--maybe 60 ish--and mumbled his little speech so much that I never heard the word "resistance" and so didn't get the chance to ask about touching my genitals.

Patdown was uneventful except that he was being so aggressive with my waistband that he was pulling my pants down from behind. I literally had to tell him, "please don't pull my pants down," after which he backed off. These pants were casual khakis and not particularly loose.

He also "found" my boarding pass and platic comb in my pockets and insisted they be removed. Said I could hold them in my hands, but I tossed them in the nearby bin with my laptop. This whole thing of insisting to see every little item when it is obvious what it is from the patdown is absurd. This is the mentality that leads to people being asked to remove medical devices, jewelry, and diapers. TSA can't get it through their head that there is a big difference between their job of screening for WEI and their apparent goal to visually identify every item someone is carrying.

Whole thing took about 5 minutes from opt-out to release.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by studentff
...TSA can't get it through their head that there is a big difference between their job of screening for WEI and their apparent goal to visually identify every item someone is carrying....
On a couple of occasions, I've had TSA staff scrutinize my watch like they never saw one before! (Which makes me wonder....)

Bruce
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:16 am

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by bdschobel
On a couple of occasions, I've had TSA staff scrutinize my watch like they never saw one before! (Which makes me wonder....)

Bruce
Last time I went through LAX I didn't opt out but as I came through NOS the guy takes my arm and says "I need to see under your watch." Didn't even have a chance to ask him to change gloves... Don't care about my skin so much, but I really don't like the idea of these guys laying a finger on something that costs three times their monthly salary...
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by JumboD
Last time I went through LAX I didn't opt out but as I came through NOS the guy takes my arm and says "I need to see under your watch." Didn't even have a chance to ask him to change gloves... Don't care about my skin so much, but I really don't like the idea of these guys laying a finger on something that costs three times their monthly salary...
From what I have read on this forum, TSO's should not be touching you at all without your consent. If this happens again, I would suggest that you pull your arm out of his clutch, take your watch off, and show it to him.

I would also like to know what the H3LL kind of WEI could be hidden under a watch???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.