Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase "may" limit approvals (5/24) on co-branded cards [flame free speculation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Moderator Note:
5/24 is the new application reality at Chase, so this speculation thread is now closed. As of this writing, there are some exceptions, and in-depth discussion is ongoing. To assist you in finding the most current information, please direct application discussions to the "Applying for Chase Cards" thread:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...5-present.html

Further discussion regarding the nuances, exceptions and possible work-arounds to Chase's imposed 5/24 limitations may also be found here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...-strategy.html

==============================================

What is Chase's so-called 5/24 policy?
Does the 5/24 rule apply to applications for all Chase cards?
How does Chase calculate the number of an applicant's new cards for purposes of the 5/24 rule?
Are targeted offers exempt from the 5/24 rule?
Print Wikipost

Chase "may" limit approvals (5/24) on co-branded cards [flame free speculation]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by serpens
I need to be educated. How does a sign-up bonus keep new customers? I understand the get, but not the keep.

If I were running a credit card program, I would de-emphasize the sign-up bonus and emphasize a retention bonus. It seems to me that loyalty means sticking around, not showing up every xx months.

And I don't mean to pick on jsk1973; this thought has been running around my head for some time. On the hotel side, I had HHonors reps tell me that HHonors was a loyalty program, and I could get status by being loyal to its competitors and then asking for a match. (Background: I was going to spend about 150 nearly consecutive days at a site. I asked HHonors if I could get any enticement, like complimentary diamond for the number of days it would take to earn diamond. No way, I was told, unless I had been loyal to its competition. Very well, I stayed with Hyatt the whole time, and never regretted it.) It illustrates the mindset that businesses would rather poach to get a new customer than retain existing customers. I don't understand.
The bank's ideal plan for you is for you to collect the bonus, then continue using the card as an everyday card out of habit. There are plenty of people who never fly anymore, but still use their Southwest or whatever CC every day out of habit. This is what the banks are going for. They hope you get the bonus, like the extra miles, and keep using the card to get more miles. They do not want to just pay you the bonus over and over.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kdm31091
They do not want to just pay you the bonus over and over.
And customers don't want to pay AF's every year for a one time bonus that was given at the start.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
And customers don't want to pay AF's every year for a one time bonus that was given at the start.
I guess the banks feel the AF is worth it for ongoing spending, and for the "regular" consumer, it is...most people just keep paying the AF and spending on the card for a long time, racking up whatever miles they do, and using them at some point maybe.

While those who want to maximize value on transactions don't necessarily feel the card justifies the AF, those people are a minority to the banks. And if it's not worth the AF, ok, cancel it/downgrade. You just won't be getting the bonus over and over, that's all.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:50 am

Here's the problem from the prospective of the co-brands.

They could give a hoot if Chase loses customers/money from the churners. Because from the co-brand's perspective they are only giving out goods that will expire (ie: rooms unsold or flights unsold). The co-brand decides if you can book an award flight or award room. And guess what, they blackout when they want to black out.

The co-brand also gets incremental sales even from award nights/flights.

Some examples:
Purchasing an extra room night when one is using points for the other nights at the same property because it's not worth changing hotels.
Paying for F&B on award flights/award stays.
Incremental staying at other properties/booking cash flights because one is SO close to the next award.

These are all WINS for the co-brand. And again, they have the ability to block out high value dates all in their control. I just CANNOT imagine this going over well when the co-brand Director of Marketing calls up Chase and asks why their April new credit card account holders is down X% YoY.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:03 am

While all of us on these sites think the loss of customers will be massive, I think in the grand scheme it's not going to be very high. Yes, they will of course lose signups from those who know about the 5/24, but other than that? General population? Doubt they will lose much.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:34 am
rev

KDMs post actually swayed me a bit. It got me thinking, this could very well be response to the financial crisis that there are new laws against letting it happened again, not just an act toward churners.

I'm not going to pretend to know everything that is now enforced on Wall St since the recession, but we all know there are new rules and huge government pressure in place to avoid it from happening again. We also know it happened because the banks, but we'll focus on Chase, was fined $13 billion for several bad practices, notably giving out lines of credit to customers who had shaky credit and income. Obviously this community maintains solid and responsible credit, but we account for such a tiny fraction of the millions of people these multiple credit lines went out to, and that's the post-recession focus. Putting in restrictions to give credit to customers who have asked for a lot of new credit lines in the last two years seems like a method that might actually work to prevent them from doing that again, and keeping long term, responsible credit holders.

Obviously I'm not okay with it, but from a post-recession stand point, I don't see this move costing them $13 billion, so it makes sense to me...unfortunately
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:48 am

In your line of work/job/business, do you offer the ability to churn (similar to your credit card expectations and associated costs/benefits) to attract and maintain customers?

If not, why? If so, please let us know...you'll prob get many new FT customers.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by rev
KDMs post actually swayed me a bit. It got me thinking, this could very well be response to the financial crisis that there are new laws against letting it happened again, not just an act toward churners.

I'm not going to pretend to know everything that is now enforced on Wall St since the recession, but we all know there are new rules and huge government pressure in place to avoid it from happening again. We also know it happened because the banks, but we'll focus on Chase, was fined $13 billion for several bad practices, notably giving out lines of credit to customers who had shaky credit and income. Obviously this community maintains solid and responsible credit, but we account for such a tiny fraction of the millions of people these multiple credit lines went out to, and that's the post-recession focus. Putting in restrictions to give credit to customers who have asked for a lot of new credit lines in the last two years seems like a method that might actually work to prevent them from doing that again, and keeping long term, responsible credit holders.

Obviously I'm not okay with it, but from a post-recession stand point, I don't see this move costing them $13 billion, so it makes sense to me...unfortunately

I just wish some people would stop acting as though they have an unalienable right to whatever cards/benefits/bonuses they want, as many times as they want them. This isn't directed at anyone in particular, just a theme I see sometimes.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by awval999
Here's the problem from the prospective of the co-brands.

They could give a hoot if Chase loses customers/money from the churners. Because from the co-brand's perspective they are only giving out goods that will expire (ie: rooms unsold or flights unsold). The co-brand decides if you can book an award flight or award room. And guess what, they blackout when they want to black out.

The co-brand also gets incremental sales even from award nights/flights.
This post made it sound like the airlines give the miles to the banks to hand out to card holders. Actually, the banks buy the miles from the airlines. A few years ago Carl Icahn wanted to force American Airlines to spin off its freq flier program because it makes so much money for them.

So, IMO, Chase will save money by not having to buy as many miles for the card churners but the airlines will make less. We may never know, but it would be interesting to see if Chase gets any backlash over a 5/24 rule from the airlines in the back channels/executive suites.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:17 am
soy

Programs: various
For the Co-Brand partner, it is not really about the bonus, Chase will not issue you the card if you do not meet the 5/24 rule.
I cannot see how that does not negatively impact the co-brand partner, who are flat out trying to get people to sign-up for their card.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:39 am

The bloggers must be soiling their pants over this. Then again most conveniently do not bring these rules up.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by mileshound
The bloggers must be soiling their pants over this. Then again most conveniently do not bring these rules up.

Yes, they are going to be getting far less affiliate revenue, but that's their problem. Some of them are down to earth-ish but others are snotty and act elitist because they made a living by gaming the system. So I don't feel bad, really.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, AA, Delta, Southwest CP, Citi Prestige, MLife Platinum
It will be interesting - it was disappointing enough to lose Amex but now if we lose Chase that is a big hit. If there aren't enough Citi and Barclays offers to keep going faster than 5/24, then I might adjust one of us (spouse or me) to that rate to get the Chase offers. However, I am hoping there is still enough other stuff to get more than one card every 5-6 months for both of us, at least for a while.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Troopers
In your line of work/job/business, do you offer the ability to churn (similar to your credit card expectations and associated costs/benefits) to attract and maintain customers?

If not, why? If so, please let us know...you'll prob get many new FT customers.
Well I trade my own money and have no clients. So I'm probably the wrong person to ask this question.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:21 am

Well I trade my own money and have no clients. So I'm probably the wrong person to ask this question.
Ok, but at some point you did when you were younger. Unless you are a trust fund kid and never worked...but if you were, I doubt you be on a message board fretting over miles and points.

Is there another business/industry as lucrative to the customer requiring very little commitment?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.