Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Virgin America Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by yeaforme
What's the general consensus on whether the 5/24 rule applies to Ink Business cards?

I've read many early posts on both sides: some that seem to indicate it is part of the rule, some that indicate it is not, some that indicate if you use a SSN it is, but if you use a EIN it is not, etc. The Wiki for the Ink cards refers to the Wiki here, but the Wiki here doesn't list the Ink under the UR cards (wondering if that was intentional or an oversight). Do we have a better idea of how the rule applies to the Ink cards now that we're almost half a year away from the rule change?
It does not apply. I've added 20 accounts in last two years. Applied for Ink Plus on 9/28 and approved on 9/29. Never called or spoke to anyone, I was expecting to be grilled about the business or number of accounts. Nada. Applied as sole proprietor using my SSN and was approved for $35K.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Irish80
It does not apply. I've added 20 accounts in last two years. Applied for Ink Plus on 9/28 and approved on 9/29. Never called or spoke to anyone, I was expecting to be grilled about the business or number of accounts. Nada. Applied as sole proprietor using my SSN and was approved for $35K.
How, er, substantial is your business? What business income did you put down?
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Virgin America Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
How, er, substantial is your business? What business income did you put down?
I used $45K

I'll add that this is only my second business card. I received the Amex Business SPG 3 months ago so it's unlikely that I have any business credit reporting or scores.

Last edited by Irish80; Oct 9, 2015 at 10:25 pm
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:42 am

Data Point: Applied for Southwest business on 10/7 around 8pm. I got the please call us immediately message. Didn't call, but called the automated line the next day and got the application pending, we will contact you in 30 days msg. Called again this morning and got the approved msg. So approx. 36 hrs between app and approval with no call to recon. Just for comparison, applied for the same card 6 months ago, got the pending but made the mistake of calling recon. Got grilled about my business and then told not enough business history and denied for card. It seems that the rule of thumb should definitely be DO NOT CALL.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 3:53 am

Applied for BA card in dh's name September 27th and got a pending response. Automated line said 30 days. Received a letter today stating he needed to call and verify info. The rep asked a few questions about his other Chase accounts and he was approved less than a minute later. Numerous inquiries on Exp and 10+ cards opened this year with three of them being personal Chase ccs.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 6:11 am

Turned down for SW business card.

Applied for the SW business card and got the please call message. I made the mistake of calling and was grilled by the rep about type of small business, estimated revenues and why I needed the card. I was turned down due to the "5 card within last 12 months rule" (one chase, one discover, two citi, one amex). Rep did not care that two of those cards were co-signed cards for college students with credit limits of $3k combined. My estimated business income on app was $25k and personal income of $140k. Current credit score of 800+. First time ever refused for a card. I will wait six months or so and try again.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:56 am

I'm wondering if I should wait to apply for an ink card. I butted heads with chase a few months ago, and I have decided to lay off for a while. Here's a few data points.

-- Have opened exactly 5 cards in the past 24 months.
-- 2 of the 5 are Chase co-branded cards (3 are with other banks)
-- 1 of the 5 will roll out of 24 months in June (at worst, I will wait until then)
-- 4 of the 5 have been opened since July of this year. The oldest of the 5 is a Chase card from June, 2014.
-- I applied for an Ink plus within a week of being approved of Chase co-brand 3 months ago, but was denied (first ever). They offered to swap the co-brank with Ink, but I would have closed a brand new account and lost a massive sign-up bonus. I declined to convert it to the Ink, and it stayed denied.
-- I have had a total of 6 hard pulls in the last 6 months. It was 1 chase co-brand card approval, 2 chase denials (an additional one because I was trying to increase CL to split it), and 3 new CC's.
-- Excellent credit score; no rolling balances

I don't exactly "need" the ink card yet in my name, but it would be nice to have access to another. I already have freedom, and I'm hoarding UR points until I have it. I would get more use out of Ink than CSP.

Would everyone just wait until June or attempt it now?
Old Oct 10, 2015, 10:48 am

Sounds to me like they have decided that you have gotten as much credit as they want to give you right now. Unless you have some limits that you can reduce to make room before you apply, I would think that your answer would remain the same, at least until about January, when the accounts and credit have aged for 6 months.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: UA, SW, US, DL
I have a targeted offer for AMEX PRG. I was considering applying for that at the same time (2 private window) as some other Chase card instead of doing the Chase card later. Does this make sense? I already have the Freedom and CSP. I SM'ed Chase to match the UA 50k offer.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Sounds to me like they have decided that you have gotten as much credit as they want to give you right now. Unless you have some limits that you can reduce to make room before you apply, I would think that your answer would remain the same, at least until about January, when the accounts and credit have aged for 6 months.
Actually, the chase card I received in 2014 took some review because they really wanted me to reduce CL, but I told them no. Then, I picked up the newest one in 2015, and they only gave $5k. I offered to reduce limit for the ink, but it was the same line about personal vs business credit. Since then, I backed off my limits by $15k. So, I likely cleared some room.

Either way, I won't be past the 5/24 until June. I have exactly 5 in 24 months until then. I'm thinking that may clip me anyway, but I've seen some cases where others have picked them up over the limit.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Irish80
It does not apply.
It looks like my answer to the ink question was right in front of me. I actually found it by searching on "5/24" in this thread, instead of just reading above (doh). I was holding off due to the 5/24 rule. If it does not matter, I'll just wait a few more months just to give it a better shot. I also called in like a fool the last time. That won't happen again.

The other thing I picked up on in this thread, is that amex business cards do not count in the 5/24. If that is the case, then I'm only at 4 (3 primary and 1 AU). I should have no problems getting another chase personal. Now, this has me rethinking things. I may apply for the CSP first. I don't really have a use for it other than the sign-up bonus, but I'll make it work. I do want to get the ink plus, but I can use another UR card in the mean time.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Can someone confirm below is true:

- You apply for 3 cards on 1 day, resulting in 1 pull. All 3 cards count towards Chase's 5 card limit.

- One year later, you cancel all 3 cards. All 3 cards still count towards your 5-card limit.

- Biz cards don't count towards the 5-card limit.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by eethan

- You apply for 3 cards on 1 day, resulting in 1 pull. All 3 cards count towards Chase's 5 card limit.

- One year later, you cancel all 3 cards. All 3 cards still count towards your 5-card limit.

What Chase 5 card limit are you speaking of? Many of us hold more than 5 Chase cards at a time. Also, 2 cards is the most I have seen anyone be successful at applying for in one day. Even then, chances are you will have to call recon if you don't have an established relationship with them. Biz cards have become very difficult to come by with Chase, and if you end up having to call, and don't have a very established business, they will grill you and deny you. On top of that, if you do what you suggested and manage to obtain 3 cards, get the bonuses and then dump all 3 cards, Chase will dump you. So to sum it up, I can pretty much confirm that all of your points are not true. You might want to rethink your strategy.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eethan

3 cards on 1 day only result in 1 pull if they're from the same division of the same bank. (Pulls are merged by credit bureaus, and only if they cannot tell for certain that two or more pulls are not duplicates of each other.) Chase's 5 (or so) new card limit (in the past 24 months) is on all cards from all banks, not just from Chase.

Chase's 5 card limit is on "recently-enough" (last 2 years) opened cards on your credit report. So whether those 3 cards count depends on whether those cards report to credit bureaus. Most business cards, and some personal cards (such as BMO Diners Club cards, which btw no one can apply for right now) don't report to consumer credit bureaus, and thus Chase won't count those.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Chase's 5 card limit is on "recently-enough" (last 2 years) opened cards on your credit report. So whether those 3 cards count depends on whether those cards report to credit bureaus. Most business cards, and some personal cards (such as BMO Diners Club cards, which btw no one can apply for right now) don't report to consumer credit bureaus, and thus Chase won't count those.
Remind me: have we seen a report where Chase didn't count a business card from Chase toward the 5(ish)-card rule? It's not as if they need to look at a credit report to see that someone has received such a card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.