Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RNE
How do I get the first-year free offer for the United Club card?

There is no foolproof method. As of January 2016, anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the first-year-free offer (as opposed to the standard offer with $395 AF, minus $100 credit with first purchase) is targeted at UA elites and former paid Club members.

In prior years, some of the following links gave non-elites access to the first-year-free offer. Current odds of success appear to be low.
Regardless of the method used, you will need to log into your UA account to see the offer available to you.

How do I find/apply for the United MileagePlus Club Business Card?

https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club50kAF

Go to www.theexplorercard.com, then either
  • Click "Are you a business owner?" in the top right then "Learn about the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.
  • Click "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Card" in the right column then "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.

After logging into your United account, you may be targeted for the annual fee waiver on the business version of the card.
Print Wikipost

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Club, Amex Platinum, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by ski
My teen, no status, received glossy book in mail for first year free for MileagePlus Card. Says - invitation-only offer, $0 Annual Fee for first year, then $450. To be eligible, you must be original recipient of this mailing and apply at the URL above using existing MP number. MPCLUBCARD.com/rsvp17 by March 15, 2017. (United Club membership and No Close-in Award Travel Booking Fees seem to be best perks).
I already have a (paid) MPC card, but clicking the link above and signing in showed me be eligible for the "first year free" offer. I didn't pursue it, because I don't see it actually "working"... i.e. it's obviously a "promotion" and I already have it, so what do they have to gain by comping me?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
Just logged in and the offer details online show the waived annual fee for the first year. No mention of 75k bonus. I'm over 5/24 as well but might give it a shot.
How did that go for you? I'm at 5/24 and thinking of giving it a shot as well. Won't drop under 5/24 for another few months and am worried the offer won't be there anymore.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by eeflyer
How did that go for you? I'm at 5/24 and thinking of giving it a shot as well. Won't drop under 5/24 for another few months and am worried the offer won't be there anymore.
After reading a little more I decided not to do it online. Might try in-branch.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
same here. got the super nice letter in mail and points me to mpclubcard.com/75k. after login, it redirects to https://www.theexplorercard.com/ClubAFW this is the annual fee waived page, with no mention of 75k.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Does the waived annual fee constitute a "new Cardmember bonus"? I had the card for no annual fee from February 2015 to January 2016 and am wondering whether I can qualify for the fee waiver again.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by 14940674
Does the waived annual fee constitute a "new Cardmember bonus"? I had the card for no annual fee from February 2015 to January 2016 and am wondering whether I can qualify for the fee waiver again.
Yes, free first year was new card incentive. I tried to get them to waive my 2nd year annual fee they wouldn't do it. My first year spending on that card was about $85K.

If you look at the Chase Retention thread's Wiki, it seems like nobody got their 2nd+ annual fee waived on this card. The most someone got was $100 statement credit. I didn't even get that.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Need
Yes, free first year was new card incentive. I tried to get them to waive my 2nd year annual fee they wouldn't do it. My first year spending on that card was about $85K.

If you look at the Chase Retention thread's Wiki, it seems like nobody got their 2nd+ annual fee waived on this card. The most someone got was $100 statement credit. I didn't even get that.

First year waived
First renewal $150 statement credit ($50k+ spend)
Second renewal $100 statement credit (I can't recall the spend. $40k-$50k?

First renewal credit was achieved after several attempts with retention dept.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
First year waived
First renewal $150 statement credit ($50k+ spend)
Second renewal $100 statement credit (I can't recall the spend. $40k-$50k?

First renewal credit was achieved after several attempts with retention dept.
So you went to the retention dept I see. I didn't really push it as I really don't want to cancel the card, so they wouldn't even give the time of day. This year I am just going to ask to cancel it when the annual fee posted. I will report back if they offer anything, but I will end up cancelling it anyway unless they completely waive the fee which is extremely unlikely. I don't need the United Club any more as I have Priority Pass, and I don't need the 1.5 mile/$1 spent as I have the Chase Freedom Unlimited, and I already get the free checked bag as United Silver. And buy United Flight tickets on CSR gives me 3 points instead of 2 miles on the MPC.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:45 pm

Has anyone seen or know of the expiration date for this offer? I login to the rsvp site in the wiki and it doesn't say anywhere. I don't remember getting a mail offer, but may have and just discarded it due to being in the CSR mode. However, my travel patterns have shifted towards UA, and this card would be very beneficial.

I'm exactly at 5/25 and the oldest card in those 5 was opened in March. It's getting harder and harder to resist applying now, but I know I shouldn't. Waiting for March 1 exact!
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Need
So you went to the retention dept I see. I didn't really push it as I really don't want to cancel the card, so they wouldn't even give the time of day. This year I am just going to ask to cancel it when the annual fee posted. I will report back if they offer anything, but I will end up cancelling it anyway unless they completely waive the fee which is extremely unlikely. I don't need the United Club any more as I have Priority Pass, and I don't need the 1.5 mile/$1 spent as I have the Chase Freedom Unlimited, and I already get the free checked bag as United Silver. And buy United Flight tickets on CSR gives me 3 points instead of 2 miles on the MPC.
I have the club card and this past summer picked up the explorer when it was offering 70k +$50 credit. I still think I will keep the club and close the explorer.

As bulk of my flying is award and my revenue flights are cheap I need a United card in order to put $25k to get the PQD waiver with united.

I like the full club membership because I like using star alliance lounges. Europe especially doesn't have convenient PP lounges while the star alliance ones were more convenient. The one downside is that for star alliance lounges I only get one guest so family trips don't enjoy this benefit.

I like the idea of freedom unlimited but don't plan on wasting 5/24 on it. So far classic freedom has worked better for me. Once I've reached $25-30k YTD on Club card I've switched to Amex EDP for 1.5MR as I have a lot of United miles and prefer to diversify away from a captive currency. (I use MR > KF to book united).

Last year most of my cards had a net zero cost between retention offers and travel reimbursements. Club card was the only one that actually cost me and at $200 more than the Explorer (assuming a retention offer and my grandfathered $395 fee) it's worth the full loiunge access and the waived close-in fees. (Priority access isn't a big deal to me as I have GE/TSA pre). My family rarely checks bags unless it's an overseas flight and those include one free bag anyway.

I am paranoid about further MP deval otherwise I could see myself using this card exclusively. This year again i only plan to spend $25k on the club card which wouldn't have a much different earn rate than the explorer ($25k x 1.5) vs ($25k x 1 + 10k bonus at $25k spend)
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:12 pm

the 75k mailer (with link redirects to annual fee waiver page for me) says march 15.

Originally Posted by eeflyer
Has anyone seen or know of the expiration date for this offer? I login to the rsvp site in the wiki and it doesn't say anywhere. I don't remember getting a mail offer, but may have and just discarded it due to being in the CSR mode. However, my travel patterns have shifted towards UA, and this card would be very beneficial.

I'm exactly at 5/25 and the oldest card in those 5 was opened in March. It's getting harder and harder to resist applying now, but I know I shouldn't. Waiting for March 1 exact!
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by mingw
the 75k mailer (with link redirects to annual fee waiver page for me) says march 15.
Fantastic, thanks for your reply. Now just gonna keep my fingers crossed until then!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:02 am

After reading a little more I decided not to do it online. Might try in-branch.
Went to a branch today. Banker saw no pre-approval so I didn't apply.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:30 pm

Went to a branch today. Banker saw no pre-approval so I didn't apply.
Darn, there goes my plan as well. I will try checking next week and report back. Not optimistic since my credit lines from Chase are fairly high compared to income
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:50 am

the link from the mailer now redirect me to https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club75k -- 75k bonus, $450 annual fee not waived.

for those do want united club membership, this is good offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.