Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For the current version of this thread & related wiki, see

IHG Rewards MasterCard (2016).
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Anybody knows if I can open this credit card for my wife and put my IHG number? I already have one CC with my IHG number but the card is awesome and I would like points to be collected on the same account and free anniversary nights.

Tia
Old Dec 23, 2014, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brugge
Thanks but I think you are missing the point. She did not get any new card member "sign up bonus", but she did get a "use this card that we changed your account over to" first time use bonus of just a few thousand points vs the typical tens of thousands of points true "sign up" bonus:. She did not in fact "sign up" for anything, she was just sent a MC to replace her Visa, without Chase ever asking her if she wanted to have the MC.

So yes, I too think she should be good to apply for a MC that she has never in fact applied for. Just looking for some data points from folks who have been in the same situation.
I think you miss the point - the point is, it does NOT matter she has had the MC because the condition to have another sign up bonus does not hinge on whether one has had the card before, how long it is closed, or still has the card - the factor remains, when you last have an offer of the sign up bonus, if it is 24 months before, you are good to go. it is as simple as this. you are way overthinking the whole thing.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bugjuice11
When you apply for a new card to churn it. Do you put your existing IHG membership number on the chase application or leave it blank?
Originally Posted by beltway
Provide your existing IHG member number. Omitting it will result in a separate IHG account & more busy work for you to have the accounts merged.
On top of that, IHG does not look at it kindly with people having multiple IHG accounts just to get a new Chase cards. Trust me, you dont want to irk IHG which can be extremely unreasonable.

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
Anybody knows if I can open this credit card for my wife and put my IHG number? I already have one CC with my IHG number but the card is awesome and I would like points to be collected on the same account and free anniversary nights.

Tia
Dont do that - this violates the programs T&Cs and you may end up being banned by IHG for life.

People, you should also read threads in IHG forum to get yourselves familiar with the program you are trying to earn points on. This comment applies to all loyalty programs.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Thanks Happy! Thats why I asked
Old Dec 24, 2014, 5:35 am
Suspended

What's the most recent data point with someone using the blogger link for the 80k?
Old Dec 24, 2014, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
What's the most recent data point with someone using the blogger link for the 80k?
Why do you need another data point? As the wiki says, the app link above works fine & has been confirmed over time by numerous FTers.

If the link breaks (or, most improbably, the offer terms silently change), then someone will post to that effect & we'll have a discussion. Unless and until that happens, you may assume that the wiki reflects the most current state of our collective understanding, both here and in other FT threads.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Why do you need another data point? As the wiki says, the app link above works fine & has been confirmed over time by numerous FTers.

If the link breaks (or, most improbably, the offer terms silently change), then someone will post to that effect & we'll have a discussion. Unless and until that happens, you may assume that the wiki reflects the most current state of our collective understanding, both here and in other FT threads.
Plus if someone wants the "most recent data point" on something, all they have to do is go back thru the thread in reverse order until they find it.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 1:45 am

For all the nonbelievers out there, I come bearing great news: It works! This is from my statement this month. Points didn't show up on my first statement in November because I met the spending requirement too close to the statement date. Try to meet the spending requirement ASAP if you want it posted on your 1st statement.

Old Dec 25, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: AS, UA, IHG, HH,
I found the 80k plus $50 statement credit while viewing the details of an existing IHG reservation I had.
On the confirmation page it shows rental car offers and the IHG Chase card offer however I'm not getting the 80K anymore and now is only showing a 60k plus $50 credit. Never tried the 80K link as well. Here is the 60K plus $50 if anyone is interested.

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ihg...haseMasterCard
Old Dec 25, 2014, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Has anyone tried to churn the card by creating a new IHG rewards account to use for the newest card application? Any success?
Old Dec 25, 2014, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by BoeingOrNotGoing
I found the 80k plus $50 statement credit while viewing the details of an existing IHG reservation I had.
On the confirmation page it shows rental car offers and the IHG Chase card offer however I'm not getting the 80K anymore and now is only showing a 60k plus $50 credit. Never tried the 80K link as well. Here is the 60K plus $50 if anyone is interested.
Thanks. I've added the 60K+$50 link (minus assorted unnecessary parameters) to the wiki.

Has anyone tried to churn the card by creating a new IHG rewards account to use for the newest card application? Any success?
Friend, I understand that you are new to FT & that our ways may be strange to you. However, you'll better serve yourself (and more easily fit into the community) if you take the advice I offered in response to your last post here: in short, please read the wiki.

In olden times, the only way to learn the ropes on FT was to read laboriously through a thread that might contain hundreds or thousands of posts. Since ~2012, community members can create & contribute to wikis to summarize the collective knowledge. If there's a shortcut, better offer link, or pitfall in churning strategy, you're likely to find it memorialized in the wiki.

If creating a new IHG account number were a successful technique, you'd see it listed. Put differently, there's a reason it's not in the wiki. (The same goes for other bad, oft-suggested ideas, such as making a big purchase & then returning the merchandise after receiving the signup bonus.)

If you want to churn the IHG card with confidence that you'll succeed, follow the guidance in the wiki.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
On top of that, IHG does not look at it kindly with people having multiple IHG accounts just to get a new Chase cards. Trust me, you dont want to irk IHG which can be extremely unreasonable.

Dont do that - this violates the programs T&Cs and you may end up being banned by IHG for life.

People, you should also read threads in IHG forum to get yourselves familiar with the program you are trying to earn points on. This comment applies to all loyalty programs.
Hi Happy

I proactively opened a second IHG account two years ago and mistakenly put the new account number in my recent app.

Any advice on what to do or not do to merge accounts ?

Thanks
Old Dec 26, 2014, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
Hi Happy

I proactively opened a second IHG account two years ago and mistakenly put the new account number in my recent app.

Any advice on what to do or not do to merge accounts ?

Thanks
No idea. And why would you PROACTIVELY open a second IHG account 2 years ago if you do not plan to do something with different accounts? Who are you fooling?

You can PROACTIVELY call IHG and plead ignorance to ask them to merge 2 accounts or you can wait and pray IHG never finds out you have 2 accounts and use each to get sign up bonuses.

You certainly can read the IHG closure threads in IHG forum to find out if anyone has been in similar cases and how they went about it or how IHG treated them. There is no substitute for doing the actual work, i.e. laborious research.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
No idea. And why would you PROACTIVELY open a second IHG account 2 years ago if you do not plan to do something with different accounts? Who are you fooling?

You can PROACTIVELY call IHG and plead ignorance to ask them to merge 2 accounts or you can wait and pray IHG never finds out you have 2 accounts and use each to get sign up bonuses.

You certainly can read the IHG closure threads in IHG forum to find out if anyone has been in similar cases and how they went about it or how IHG treated them. There is no substitute for doing the actual work, i.e. laborious research.
Do you have a link for IHG closure forum ? I searched different combos and found nothing that fits
Old Dec 28, 2014, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
Do you have a link for IHG closure forum ? I searched different combos and found nothing that fits
There is no such thing called IHG closure forum.

There is an IHG forum on FT just like another other loyalty program of airlines and hotels. Multiple accounts led to closure is being discussed on and off in the past several years. You certainly could find information in IHG forum if you search hard enough. It is not a recent occurrence because people learned this long time ago so nobody is stupid enough to try, knowing how harsh IHG could be, especially since it now aggressively engages in auditing people's accounts on any violation of T&Cs. A friend got her IHG account suspended triggered by getting a second 80K Chase bonus in less than 9 months (during the product switch, she X'ed a new Visa and later got the MC - Chase gave 2nd bonus but IHG flagged the account). Eventually the account was re-activated but not without a 2 weeks audit and almost got a closure because she had used untargeted promo codes on a stay 18 months ago. Luckily she only netted a few thousand K's so not a big offender.

As Beltway aptly posted, why using different account number is NOT in the Wiki - there are reasons for that and such reasons do not need to be spelled out.

If creating a new IHG account number were a successful technique, you'd see it listed. Put differently, there's a reason it's not in the wiki. (The same goes for other bad, oft-suggested ideas, such as making a big purchase & then returning the merchandise after receiving the signup bonus.)

If you want to churn the IHG card with confidence that you'll succeed, follow the guidance in the wiki.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 28, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.