Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX Awards Booking VIA ALASKA Would they allow you to take earlier flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Hey guys,

I have a awards flight booked via Alaska. There is an earlier flight a couple hours before. Any chance that I could go to the airport and they could put me on the earlier flight if there is room? or is that a pipe dream? There are no awards tickets available at least from BA's search.

Thanks
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:19 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
I dont think CX would rebook for you.

I have experience below few times:
I used my AM to book QF reward tickets from Sydney to Melbourne.
This route is like shuttle- departure almost every half hour.
When I arrived in Sydney and requested to take earlier flight, the answer was always no. QF crew said this was not their ticket so they couldnt rebook it...
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by xcalibir
Hey guys,

I have a awards flight booked via Alaska. There is an earlier flight a couple hours before. Any chance that I could go to the airport and they could put me on the earlier flight if there is room? or is that a pipe dream? There are no awards tickets available at least from BA's search.

Thanks
Delays or cancellations - yes. CX/KA are proactive on that (especially if you haven't checked your bags in yet).

Otherwise, you can ask but generally not - they will refer you to the issuing airline to make changes.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:09 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Probably another yield-raising initiative
Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I've done this, but only at the airport just prior to departure. Arrived LHR, booked on CX F to HKG on AA redemption. Asked for earlier departure. CX said to go to AA ticketing desk and have them switch the rezzie. (Award space is often pretty much open a few hours before departure.) Went to the AA desk, got the switch done, went back to CX and checked in as normal.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
You would have to ask AS to make the change for you but sometimes CX will help you provided it is in their own best interest e.g. IRROPS etc. For example I was booked on an AAdvantage ticket going HKG-FRA-LHR a few years ago and kept waiting for direct availability which didn't open up. At check-in they asked me if I wanted to go HKG-LHR direct. Turned out HKG-FRA was overbooked in J and Y so swapping me prevented them bumping someone off the FRA flight
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I've done this, but only at the airport just prior to departure. Arrived LHR, booked on CX F to HKG on AA redemption. Asked for earlier departure. CX said to go to AA ticketing desk and have them switch the rezzie. (Award space is often pretty much open a few hours before departure.) Went to the AA desk, got the switch done, went back to CX and checked in as normal.
Asking AS to make the change implies a $125 fee without MVPG status. This isn't something you'd experience on AA but would be an issue on an AS-issued ticket. OP doesn't say if they have MVPG/75K status, but I'm guessing no?

I'm pretty sure operating airlines can make changes on tickets issued on another airline's stock if they want to without involving the other airlines on day of flight (they control the ticket at that point). I suppose CX doesn't want to unless there's a clear operational need, which I suppose is fair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.