Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's going on with CX food in J?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: CX Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
I had my AMS flight last month and the F&B on offer was a shocker. The ex-HKG supper service becomes so repetitive and really boring now. CX seems to believe that serving the same items for 18 months is ok to a premium pax (oh think on those savoury dips and mixed berries with ginger syrup! It has been on the supper menu on every single flight I took ex-HKG in the evening since they first introduced such sub-par supper menu). I can also confirmed that Breakfast service had cereals, yoghurts removed (replaced by preloaded bircher museli on tray on my AMS bound) and the fruit platter starter has been reduced from being served on a proper china plate to a fruit bowl that you usually get on a TPE J flight.
A few years back they introduced the so-called 'one-tray concept' breakfast in J, exactly what you have described, claiming it was to maximize pax sleep time, but reverted back to a normal service possibly due to adverse passenger feedback.

Not sure why they introduced it again. Perhaps they don't care passenger feedback anymore.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:51 pm

Another data point - the Hindu non-veg meals between HKG and BKK years ago used to blow the regular Y meals away. As MajorFloyd pointed out, the quality of meal ex outport is really bad if the meals are loaded from HKG, which I suspect would be the case for CX 521 from NRT at 1655. CX 529 from HND at 1640 would have sat on the ground for 2.5 hours before returning to HKG so not sure if catering is from HND or HKG. I was told by a certain Diamond member that in CX's eye, HND is more premium than NRT (business people fly to/from HND, tourists fly to/from NRT).

Last edited by zhaobao; Jun 23, 2015 at 12:03 am
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:34 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
I am flying HKG-SIN in J next month with CX759 departing 08:50. It is a breakfast service to SIN. What can I expect re service on this flight? Will it be like my recent HKG-BKK flight (1 tray service + pastry selection) or will it be similar to long-haul breakfast service (which also seems to have disappeared) ?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 6:36 am

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,
unless something changes radically in the next few weeks it should be fine. I still find Cathay breakfast service to be very good. It may be better than Bangkok as somehow as a slightly longer flight it seems to get an even fuller service.
Not been disappointed yet on a Cathay breakfast flight to SIN
Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:35 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Originally Posted by jackrussellterrier
unless something changes radically in the next few weeks it should be fine. I still find Cathay breakfast service to be very good. It may be better than Bangkok as somehow as a slightly longer flight it seems to get an even fuller service.
Not been disappointed yet on a Cathay breakfast flight to SIN
That is good to know, thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:58 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
for regional flights, I find SIN catered breakfast to be good. I had both congees for both HKG-SIN and SIN-HKG, presentation and taste, SIN-HKG (the one below) was better.

Old Jul 3, 2015, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by hadsst
Come on CX, your food quality is already disappointing. But is designing a supper menu and service flow that make most passengers happy really that difficult? Well, perhaps I shouldn't expect too much from the clever catering guys at CX who come up with the ideas of mid-flight meal on transpacific J services and 'paper box' Y meals on TPE flight, the latter of which is simply damaging the CX brand as a premium airline.
I take it you haven't had the "hot dog" Y snack meal on Qantas aus - hkg flight. Neither have I as a matter of fact nor half the Y cabin on the flight because it was that under catered. The vegetarian wrap I got instead was awful. Not sure whats worse, CX or QF's offering!
Old Jul 3, 2015, 1:40 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by skeeo
I take it you haven't had the "hot dog" Y snack meal on Qantas aus - hkg flight. Neither have I as a matter of fact nor half the Y cabin on the flight because it was that under catered. The vegetarian wrap I got instead was awful. Not sure whats worse, CX or QF's offering!
You mean the Monty's bakehouse hot posh pizza subs? I couldn't see a problem with it, that wasn't meant to be dinner.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: CX Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by skeeo
A race to the bottom?

It's pathetic when we can only feel good about CX meals by comparing them to airlines doing not as good, not to airlines doing great (e.g. SQ). Don't forget most of us at HKG pay a significant premium to fly on CX, which proudly claims to be 'the world's best airline, for a record fourth time'.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by hadsst
A race to the bottom?

It's pathetic when we can only feel good about CX meals by comparing them to airlines doing not as good, not to airlines doing great (e.g. SQ). Don't forget most of us at HKG pay a significant premium to fly on CX, which proudly claims to be 'the world's best airline, for a record fourth time'.
On my MEL flight in J cabin the other month, pizza was one of the two choices for main. I know it was a supper service for my midnight departure flight but honestly...pizza!?! As I read the menu I thought I was on Jetstar to MEL...enough said
Old Jul 3, 2015, 10:45 pm

What's amusing to me is I find the regional flight's J meals' entree much better than the long-haul J meals' entree. What's up with that?!!?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:36 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
What's amusing to me is I find the regional flight's J meals' entree much better than the long-haul J meals' entree. What's up with that?!!?
it really depends on the destination and flight #. I find it hard to make a blanket designation.

somewhere higher on this thread or elsewhere, I noted how poor ex-EWR catering is in J (which I recall you flew recently). This is partially an issue specific to EWR, and partially an issue specifically related to the late-night "suppers" which are loaded on those ex-USA midnight departures (CX881, CX883, CX873, CX893, CX845, CX899, and CX811). FWIW, the long-haul breakfast offering I've had most recently (CX883 last week) was a full complement of juices, smoothie, breakfast breads, cereals, yogurt, and pretty decent congee main course, which was different from your EWR experience where apparently they cut out some of those components and the entree was horrible.

Additionally, for certain "regular" long-haul flights I've taken recently that were not these late-night ex USA supper flights (ie, I got a full meal service), I've been very satisfied with the meal service and in particular the entrees. In the last two months this includes CX830 (HKGJFK), CX882 (HKGLAX) and CX898 (HKGLAX).

Regionally, IMO the variation is rather significant between J meals dependent on your destination. J meals to/from MNL, for example, don't seem as robust to me as J meal services to SIN, which has IMO the top-of-the-heap regional J catering from CX. I don't know this for certain, but judging from the apparently disparity between J class meals even between regional destinations (let along long-haul destinations), I think CX maybe has a different budget depending on the route and flight #. In KA's case, I absolutely know this to be true - J flights to/from PEK and PVG have notably superior Chinese catering, including specials, versus say CKG, WNZ, XIY or some of the less-frequent KA cities.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:55 am

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,
[/QUOTE]
Regionally, IMO the variation is rather significant between J meals dependent on your destination. J meals to/from MNL, for example, don't seem as robust to me as J meal services to SIN, which has IMO the top-of-the-heap regional J catering from CX. I don't know this for certain, but judging from the apparently disparity between J class meals even between regional destinations (let along long-haul destinations), I think CX maybe has a different budget depending on the route and flight #. In KA's case, I absolutely know this to be true - J flights to/from PEK and PVG have notably superior Chinese catering, including specials, versus say CKG, WNZ, XIY or some of the less-frequent KA cities.[/QUOTE]

SIN depends on the flight. As mentioned up thread sometimes there is only one main on the afternoon flights.
For me I find Japan to have very consistent quality of meals and even a different J champagne.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 3:23 am

Food in J really is appalling. Comparing to peer airlines like Singapore, Emirates and even BA, food on CX in J loses out in presentation, quality and quantity - basically all elements. If their focus is now heavily on passenger experience with the Life Well Travelled campaign surely inflight dinning is a very high priority to improve on?

Well noted the Mandarin Oriental menu on certain routes in F but that's simply not good enough.

Passengers don't care if CX is cutting down budget - they simply change airline of choice. CX has really got to stop taking things for granted.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:45 pm

For regional flights, all catering ex HKG the same quality ? There is a thought that catering from outports tend to be better, and if you happen to be on a HK-bound flight where the catering was not loaded from HKG, you may get better food instead. This seems to be true at least in economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.