Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's going on with CX food in J?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2015, 5:25 am

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,
judging from my recent experience, long haul J gave me the "supper" option for the midnight flights from HKG to LHR for which my 49kg wife said, it wasn't much was it! I'm hungry!"
Breakfast seemed ok.
I noticed however that now regional J doesn't feature any cheesecake or similar desert? Its either cheese and fruit or ice cream and on flights less than 2 hours just ice cream.
Considering SQ serves the same Haagen-Diaz in Economy (or at least used to?) then its a definite downgrade to only be offered that.
...And please change the wines once in a while although I'll probably regret asking for that....
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:27 am

Not to mention the regional J class meal, most double catering meal is crap.

CX also replaced some "Lunch" to "Breakfast", e.g. 580 served medium Lunch until March this year, now just serving Breakfast. Yes, nothing you can eat until the flight landed at about 14:30.

Hello CX, how much you can saved on this change, did you forgot your pax paying premium to you?
Old Jun 21, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Ever since I have switched to EWR I have not have a J upgrade for awhile (once in the last year of flying!), and I keep reading here that many of you are lamenting how bad J food has gone... well... I was upgraded and yeah, it's bad, really bad....

Oh my goodness, goodness gracious. I would be very upset too if I've paid $5000-$6000 to fly their J and get these kind of food.....
Welcome to the new CX J

Btw, has anyone here tried AY J from North America and if so how is it compared with CX in terms of food, etc? Seat should be comparable (flat bed) but don't know how's the food compared with CX J food these days.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm looking at flights to HKG for this fall. I'm looking around (should've done this long time ago ...) and notice that it's approx. $3k JFK - HKG. Yes, there's a long layover in HEL but CX is already charging $2.5k for Y+ (and this will be out of my own pocket) so ...
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by sxc
The breakfast sounds like typical J class breakfast. The only thing that seems missing is that they will offer yoghurt and cereal between the initial fruit platter and the main course. Was this offered?

think the cheese / fruit plate is on request - it should be noted in the menu.
No, you're right, no more cereal and yogurts. And nope, I asked for fruit platter after the entree and was told that is "for breakfast only". If the "new J entree" is what I have just experienced, wow, seriously CX?
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
It depends on the flight: EWR is the worst

No, you're right, no more cereal and yogurts. And nope, I asked for fruit platter after the entree and was told that is "for breakfast only". If the "new J entree" is what I have just experienced, wow, seriously CX?
To be fair, ex-EWR is perhaps the worst catering of any long haul CX flight IME.

I completely concur with your sentiments on that flight - the supper is meagre and disgusting, and breakfast subpar compared to the usually robust choices in a normal CX J service. To be fair, CX845 has weak catering too but I think EWR is worse.

However, I feel pretty comfortable saying the full meal service in J to North America is actually decent (food...not wine selection). Just to put it out there, I've flown in J to/from every North American destination except YVR and BOS in the last 12 months. On two flights to LAX in J this month (CX882 and CX898), the food was a full meal service and breakfast yesterday on 898 had the cereal, yogurts, etc like is normal.

Ex-EWR is all around a weak J experience IME, from the poor ground staff, weak check in experience, lack of alternatives if a plane goes tech, and as pointed out poor catering. But just want to emphasize it's not the best representation of the more "normal" CX J experience to NA. CX doesn't deserve a free pass when they're bad, but I've been pleasantly surprised by my NA long haul meals this year.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288

Ex-EWR is all around a weak J experience IME, from the poor ground staff, weak check in experience, lack of alternatives if a plane goes tech, and as pointed out poor catering. But just want to emphasize it's not the best representation of the more "normal" CX J experience to NA. CX doesn't deserve a free pass when they're bad, but I've been pleasantly surprised by my NA long haul meals this year.
Curious, why is this so? Shouldn't all the services the same?

I am thinking hard about going back to ORD. Is the services in ORD that much better than the meek services at EWR as QRC said?
Old Jun 21, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Curious, why is this so? Shouldn't all the services the same?
I think there are two factors at work: a.) timing, and b.) something is wrong with ex-EWR.

timing
For timing, the ex-North America midnight flights - CX881, CX883, CX873, CX845 and CX899 come to mind (+BOS presumably, but I've never taken it) - all have the abbreviated midnight "supper" service. This plays a factor for the smaller-than-usual dinner offering. Meant to quicken the dinner service to allow folks to get to bed. Whilst I absolutely appreciate a shorter service that time of night, I'm sure CX doesn't mind the lower cost as well...

Ex-North America, you have a full first meal service on CX841, CX831, CX807 (your Chicago flight), CX879, CX885 and CX897. Oddly, ex-HKG also has "supper" service on flights departing after 9pm, for example, CX880 and CX872. But the ex-HKG suppers seem to be more robust than the ex-North America redeye suppers.

ex-EWR
I've only done ex-EWR twice (both times in J), and twice was enough to swear I'd avoid it if possible again. I'll skip over the airport and check-in process except to say it was pi$$ poor both times. On board, the breakfast was precisely as you describe - more meagre than a typical CX J breakfast. Normally I think breakfast in J is a strong point for CX, given how many choices there are between the smoothie/juice, fruit, cereals, yogurt, and main course. They have reasonable coffee and espresso on board as well. In most ports, CX stocks more-expensive smoothie/juice options (Odwalla usually out of the US), which I appreciate versus some of the concentrated crap you get on some US carriers. Often I am so full from cereal, fruit and yogurt I don't bother for a main.

Why was the menu more limited on my ex-EWR flight? I have no idea. I flew it twice last year and in my mind thought, perhaps it was due to just recently starting the route. I subjectively also didn't like the food for the first meal, but chalked it up to a bad launch. However, to hear these issues are still going on with EWR reinforce to me why I don't plan on flying there any time soon unless I absolutely have to. Otherwise I'll just use JFK and suck it up with the horrible traffic to midtown.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 8:52 pm

Wow, this sounds like a serious downgrade in meal service.

I recently flew JL in C from NRT-BKK on a 787 and was served an incredible Wagyu fillet with all the trimmings – starter, salad, soup, dessert and cheese plate.

I used to love CX, but they have fallen way behind, IMHO.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
I had my AMS flight last month and the F&B on offer was a shocker. The ex-HKG supper service becomes so repetitive and really boring now. CX seems to believe that serving the same items for 18 months is ok to a premium pax (oh think on those savoury dips and mixed berries with ginger syrup! It has been on the supper menu on every single flight I took ex-HKG in the evening since they first introduced such sub-par supper menu). I can also confirmed that Breakfast service had cereals, yoghurts removed (replaced by preloaded bircher museli on tray on my AMS bound) and the fruit platter starter has been reduced from being served on a proper china plate to a fruit bowl that you usually get on a TPE J flight.

I also flew to SIN in J the other month on an afternoon flight (CX635 which departs at 330pm); it has 'refreshment' service. No proper starter, just a bowl of fruits, choices of main was 1 Chinese option, laksa and the afternoon tea set with scone. Dessert was Haagen Daz ice cream. I didn't recall cheese/freshly cut fruits were being offered. Two weeks ago, I decided to fly to SIN with SQ on their A380 (Like many others here, I have no problems re-qualifying DM and given how CX F&B deteriorated I am happy to spend my money elsewhere whilst earning elite status with another carrier) That flight departs at 320pm and guess what they served full-dinner meal on board. Both quality and quantity are much better than CX.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:44 pm

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Originally Posted by HKGglobaltrotter
I also flew to SIN in J the other month on an afternoon flight (CX635 which departs at 330pm); it has 'refreshment' service. No proper starter, just a bowl of fruits, choices of main was 1 Chinese option, laksa and the afternoon tea set with scone. Dessert was Haagen Daz ice cream. I didn't recall cheese/freshly cut fruits were being offered. Two weeks ago, I decided to fly to SIN with SQ on their A380 (Like many others here, I have no problems re-qualifying DM and given how CX F&B deteriorated I am happy to spend my money elsewhere whilst earning elite status with another carrier) That flight departs at 320pm and guess what they served full-dinner meal on board. Both quality and quantity are much better than CX.

SQ food blows CX food away at this point. I'm targeting PPS this year. Would be first time since 2001 for me.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:06 pm

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by Jane's Addiction
SQ food blows CX food away at this point. I'm targeting PPS this year. Would be first time since 2001 for me.
Indeed! When compare to SQ, CX really looks like a budget airline. On my MEL (CX105) flight back in March, the choices for main on the 'supper menu' was the usual Chinese option or a slice of Margherita Pizza! Paying CX premium fare and ending up with an Easyjet meal...just how lovely!

I am trying to get PPS status too myself this year. Looks like it is quite doable whilst maintaining my DM status.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:46 pm

You know, Y meals really can't complain because it's Y. PEY, maybe a little for a premium price. But long-haul J? Charging people $5000-$6000 and give them meager meals? CX is kidding me.....
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:58 pm

Flying redeye flight to Narita in economy, and return on CX 521 at 1655 back to HKG, also in economy. Would you recommend to order a special meal like Hindu non veg instead ? The outgoing flight is coded as a "cold snack" while the return flight is coded as "refreshment".
Old Jun 22, 2015, 2:40 am

Programs: Marco Polo Gold
In talking to my FA friend a few days ago, she confirmed that food ex-Japan port is typically much better tasting than anything ex-HKG. The problem is sometimes they load meals of both sectors on-board if it's a flight returning to HKG the same day so even meals ex-Japan can have poor quality. She also did say veg meal options could be surprisingly tasty.

I cannot imagine CX only serving cold snack on a 1655 departing flight ex-NRT though. I have always got a hot meal for flights around this time, including one ex-HND just a few weeks ago that departed at 1640. I haven't flown the red-eye for a few years.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by MajorFloyd
In talking to my FA friend a few days ago, she confirmed that food ex-Japan port is typically much better tasting than anything ex-HKG. The problem is sometimes they load meals of both sectors on-board if it's a flight returning to HKG the same day so even meals ex-Japan can have poor quality. She also did say veg meal options could be surprisingly tasty.

I cannot imagine CX only serving cold snack on a 1655 departing flight ex-NRT though. I have always got a hot meal for flights around this time, including one ex-HND just a few weeks ago that departed at 1640. I haven't flown the red-eye for a few years.
zhaobao is referring outbound red eye flight to NRT is severing cold snacks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.