Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX->AA @ LAX

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
I would say plan something like a 2.5hr connection. If you get to T4 with a earlier flight available, you will be able to do same day standby/change with you OWE status
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
Any insight on how immigration is coming off CX884, ease of transfer etc would be helpful.
It was a disaster.

I had changed to an earlier departure and taken CX884, hoping to standby onto an earlier flight out of LAX. exHKG departure delayed ~2.5hrs courtesy wx induced flow control (well handled by the crew, with a proper drink run and IFE turned on). Landed ~1.5hrs late and made the mistake of not asking a CX agent at the gate for assistance. Ran to the immigration hall only to see the longest immigration queues i've ever seen. Stuck between holding my spot and seeking out a CX agent for help (technically, I did not have a tight connection, as my booked flight was for much later..)

Took ~2hrs to clear immigration and missed the ideal flight that i wanted to standby on (free on AA with OWE status) - got onto a later flight/reroute, but fairly certain that the end result/arrival into ROC would have been much better if I hadnt had to wait those 2 hrs.

Originally Posted by avm2806
4 sectors can't be done on one bag tag, so that will require manual tagging - very risky for luggage... max is 3... Keep that in mind while building connections
Not on this particular trip, but i've done 4 sector tag throughs without any issue. Yes, the bag had multiple tags on - but they showed up just fine the three times i've had to do this - across airlines/alliances.

Originally Posted by sincera4565
We are on AA162 and will arrive LAX at 2055 and depart from LAX at 2355 on CX883. Here is a few questions that I am not sure:
1) I believe 3 hours would be enough even for non-US citizens, is there anything I should be aware of?
2) At HNL, I would ask the counter to send our baggage all the way to HKG. However, do I need to pick them up at LAX?
3) What will be the process in LAX? I assume it will be Landing->Exit terminal->Security Check in Int'l terminal->Take off. Is there anything that I miss?
4) None of our party has any OW status but I am in green status in MP. Would this be any helpful to have this status? I am hoping to make this as smooth as it could be for my parents.
1) No issues. Bags will go all the way through, and the US has no outbound immigration. TSA at LAX can be a pain, but i'd think that you'll be fine. Just ask the CX guys to help you if youre running late (since you have to go by the CX counters anyway, when going from AA's terminal to TBIT).

Worst case (I doubt) you'll miss your CX flight, but AA will take care of you even on separate tickets (AA policy for sure..not sure if thats Oneworld policy).

2) Nope- bags go all the way through. Outbound from the US is all easy peasy - just check that the AAgent taags the bags properly to yoru final destination. Politely ask for a supervisor's help if you

3) Correct - AA terminal and TBIT are a 2 min walk apart. I would stop by at the AA flagship lounge before exiting the AA terminal, time/entry rules permitting

4)Doubt MPC Green status helps with anything, but if you're on seaparte tickets for AA and CX, i would call both and cross reference to the other's flights (So that CX knows that you are coming on AA162).

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...tkt_policy.jsp

I just wish that the above be a pan-oneworld policy..
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
repost

Last edited by bbmatt; Apr 13, 2014 at 9:52 pm
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:47 pm

Bump. Anyone got any recent experience of connecting CX to AA (and vv) at LAX? Will be connecting on to LAS - outbound we'd have about 2.5 hours, inbound 1.75:

CX884 Cathay Pacific HKG 12:55 LAX 11:20
CX7781 American Airlines LAX 13:55 LAS 15:05 0
CX7510 American Airlines LAS 10:05 LAX 11:20
CX885 Cathay Pacific LAX 13:05 HKG 18:55 +1

Will be in business, and both OWEs (if that makes any difference whatsoever!). Will be booked as a single ticket.
the new TBIT is MUCH better. Grab an express connection (red card) if you can, it should speed you up a bit.

since you're only flying to vegas, there are hourly flights, if you miss it they'll rebook you, space isnt an issue.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by sincera4565
Since this thread has been bumped, I would ask my question about LAX transfer here. My family (HKG passport) is going to visit the States during May. We are going to leave HNL and head back to HKG via LAX (so it will be HNL-LAX-HKG)

We are on AA162 and will arrive LAX at 2055 and depart from LAX at 2355 on CX883. Here is a few questions that I am not sure:
1) I believe 3 hours would be enough even for non-US citizens, is there anything I should be aware of?
2) At HNL, I would ask the counter to send our baggage all the way to HKG. However, do I need to pick them up at LAX?
3) What will be the process in LAX? I assume it will be Landing->Exit terminal->Security Check in Int'l terminal->Take off. Is there anything that I miss?
4) None of our party has any OW status but I am in green status in MP. Would this be any helpful to have this status? I am hoping to make this as smooth as it could be for my parents.

Thanks!
-Pete
Getting out of LAX isnt the issue, the issue is getting into the US and thru customs officers. the line can be horrendous if you land after a couple A380s/747s. Most airports (not just LAX) aren't staffed to handle that big of an influx of passengers, but since most asian airlines arrive around the same time, it's unavoidable.

I've been stuck in the US citizen line for 2+ hours arriving at around 2pm, but at a 10-11 am, it can be as quick as 10 mins. it all depends on when you get there and how many jumbos have landed before you!
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:28 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by avm2806
4 sectors can't be done on one bag tag, so that will require manual tagging - very risky for luggage... max is 3... Keep that in mind while building connections
Max is 4 not 3. 5 would require manual tagging, but not 4.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:23 pm

May I ask what will be the likely situation if I arrive at LAX at 8am via CX 898? I will be traveling in J and use the Canadian passport for entry.

Upon arrival I will take Alaska air to Seattle at 11am.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by gemini573
Click on my profile for a pic that I just uploaded from my 884 arrival. It was a madhouse.

I think the best time to avoid a long queue is to take 880. I chatted with an immigration officer once and they told me the CX flight is the last one to arrive usually, but I would imagine it's not a great flight for connections.
Ouch - looks nasty. We'd be travelling hand baggage only, which might speed things along a little, but some of those immigration queues sound horrid. I guess worst case, we catch a later connecting flight to LAS.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by gemini573
Click on my profile for a pic that I just uploaded from my 884 arrival. It was a madhouse.

I think the best time to avoid a long queue is to take 880. I chatted with an immigration officer once and they told me the CX flight is the last one to arrive usually, but I would imagine it's not a great flight for connections.
880 isn't any better than any of the other flights. Even though there are not many flights at night, there are less immigration officers, so the wait can be just as long as the other flights.

It's just a matter of luck- when your flight lands and when the other flights land.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:53 pm

Ouch - looks nasty. We'd be travelling hand baggage only, which might speed things along a little, but some of those immigration queues sound horrid. I guess worst case, we catch a later connecting flight to LAS.
USCBP keeps good records of wait times at each terminal.

http://awt.cbp.gov/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.