Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Possible cabin crew strike during Easter?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2010, 4:49 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum

According to this chinese newspaper article, CX will roll out a new "Swapping Guidelines" today. Under the new guidelines, cabin attendants who don't work for the min hours (70 hours) will not be allowed to swap their flights with other cabin attendants...

They have started a facebook group and there are more than 1,725 people/cabin attendants joined the group. Some even suggest to strike during the Easter holidays.

The union will call for an emergency meeting to discuss this new policy. According to the union's vice-president, CX did not consult the union before rolling out this new policy.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:08 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
1. I don't see why the FAs need to fly 70 hours minimum before allowed to swap.
2. However, I don't see this is a good reason to strike. It sounded more like union politics.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
1. I don't see why the FAs need to fly 70 hours minimum before allowed to swap.
2. However, I don't see this is a good reason to strike. It sounded more like union politics.
IMHO the worst part is that CX suddenly announced this change yesterday and did not discussed this with the union before hand. By doing this the CX management is just asking for troubles!
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:59 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, CX MPC Gold, Hilton Hhonors Gold
Surely it would make more sense for management to announce this sort of changes after peak travel periods (e.g. Easter)?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:55 pm

What is CX doing?

1) Can they even talk to Union leaders first so at least they can tell the public that they tried to negotiate in good faith?

2) Can they wait till off-season to announce this kind of moves to minimize possible strike impact?

3) I'm not in the airline industry so I do not know if NOT allowing cabin crews to swap will actually save money and how much, but from an outsider's perspective if the cabin crews can work out the schedules to swap I don't really see what's the big deal. Anyone with know-hows care to enlighten us?

Thanks
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak
IMHO the worst part is that CX suddenly announced this change yesterday and did not discussed this with the union before hand. By doing this the CX management is just asking for troubles!
i'm on JAL for trip in easter :P just hope KA wont get infected as my return flight is on KA as well...

Anyway, CX has never cared about local crews they simply make rules against them. Then again, I'm surprised you can fly for less than 70 hrs and get paid for 70. now THAT's the problem.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
What is CX doing?

1) Can they even talk to Union leaders first so at least they can tell the public that they tried to negotiate in good faith?

2) Can they wait till off-season to announce this kind of moves to minimize possible strike impact?

3) I'm not in the airline industry so I do not know if NOT allowing cabin crews to swap will actually save money and how much, but from an outsider's perspective if the cabin crews can work out the schedules to swap I don't really see what's the big deal. Anyone with know-hows care to enlighten us?

Thanks
re 3) I think it's admin cost, and swapping brings some of them into OT (since CX needs to pay min 70 hrs even to those who work less than 70. (according to local papers)
Old Mar 16, 2010, 4:07 am

A good way to earn $$$$ for a couple both work in CX:
"A" gets pay of 70hrs even only works 50hrs in a month and swap 20hrs shift to "B", and "B" end up works 90hrs which 20hrs are OT! I'm considering change job w my gf! ^^
Old Mar 16, 2010, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TalkFlyer
A good way to earn $$$$ for a couple both work in CX:
"A" gets pay of 70hrs even only works 50hrs in a month and swap 20hrs shift to "B", and "B" end up works 90hrs which 20hrs are OT! I'm considering change job w my gf! ^^
Not anymore under the new policy. You have to work for at least 70 hours before you can apply for a swap
Old Mar 16, 2010, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaka
re 3) I think it's admin cost, and swapping brings some of them into OT (since CX needs to pay min 70 hrs even to those who work less than 70. (according to local papers)
If what the local newspaper says is accurate, I think this is a reasonable change but was executed poorly. The FAs simply don't feel respected and why roll this out right before the peak easter holidays...all these show poor management decisions on CX part.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Well, there's possibly another issue. I don't know what CX provides for company paid benefits, but under the old system, was there anything to prevent a crew member from swapping all of his/her flights, not working at all, but still receiving benefits?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:59 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
CX has issued a statement on the matter: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en...0007d21c39____

Cathay Pacific General Manager Inflight Services’ message to staff on new swapping guidelines
16 March 2010

In response to media enquiries on new swapping guidelines for Cathay Pacific cabin crew, the airline’s General Manager Inflight Services today sent out a memo to clarify the situation. The full text of the memo is included below.

Breaking News – March 17, 2010

In CCNL this week we mentioned two new swapping guidelines. The guidelines have led to a good deal of discussion amongst crew, and some misunderstandings, so I would like to make some clarifications.

It is important to remember that the minimum guarantee of 70 credit hours was introduced to protect you from business downturns. This served us well during during SARS when crew hours fell to as low as 20.

Crew on minimum guarantee of 70 credit hours per month are normally rostered for 80-83 flying hours per month, and have the flexibility to swap flights up to five times per month.

You have consistently told us that control over your rosters is very important to you. ISD appreciates and understands this. We are working towards increasing your swapping flexibility. We have been reviewing the present swap system to move towards our ultimate goal of unlimited swapping.

The review showed that some crew are consistently swapping below the minimum guarantee. Some crew swap well below the guarantee - as low as 10-30 flying hours per month - and still receive the minimum guarantee. This departs from the principles of swapping flexibility and minimum guarantee, and a restriction has been introduced to prevent it. It is unreasonable to expect the company to pay for hours not worked.

A very small minority of crew who swap below the minimum guarantee – less than 5 percent - will be affected by the new guidelines. The vast majority of crew will benefit from the related lifting of the restriction on more than nine consecutive days off.

The normal approval rate for swap applications is around 80 percent. Up to now, the approval rate has also been around 80 percent on the swapping applications for the April roster, which opened today at noon.

We do not believe that the new guidelines will affect your normal swapping practices. If the change we have just announced affects your normal swapping practices, we will promptly take up your concerns. If you have any difficulties in swapping as a result of this new rule, or for any other reason, please contact ISD#ENQ and you will receive immediate assistance.

Finally, let me emphasize again, we do not want to restrict your normal swapping above the minimum guarantee, and I appreciate your feedback.

Sincerely, Charlie Stewart-Cox, GMISD
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Now I understand. If they swap and get below 70 hours, they will still be paid 70 hours. If on the next month they are above 70 hours, they will be paid the actual hours. If they consistently do that, they will benefit from the system. This practice will not be fair to those who work consistently above the minimum.

That makes sense. Was there a miscommunication initially?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Now I understand. If they swap and get below 70 hours, they will still be paid 70 hours. If on the next month they are above 70 hours, they will be paid the actual hours. If they consistently do that, they will benefit from the system. This practice will not be fair to those who work consistently above the minimum.

That makes sense. Was there a miscommunication initially?
I am not sure. But I went through some of the comments on the facebook group, in general they think it is harder for them to swap under the new policy and it requires much more work on their part because the application will be denied if their hours fall below 70. There is a piece of information missing right now. What is the average number of hours on their assigned roaster (not the number from PR, but from FAU)? If it's close to 70, it will be hard to do swaps...

E.g. In order to swamp out long haul flights, they have to swamp out the short hauls first so they will be able to apply for the long haul swap.

Last edited by JALPak; Mar 16, 2010 at 2:44 pm
Old Mar 16, 2010, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

http://news.mingpao.com/20100317/gol1.htm

Union meeting this Friday to discuss what actions should be taken. There are 200 FAs want to join FAU (the union) after the new policy is announced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.