Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Birthday Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2009, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPC SL, PR Mabuhay, OZ Silver, SIA Krisflyer, QR Qmiles, Hotelclub Platinum Member
Birthday Upgrade?

Im travelling on CX 889 YVR-HKG on Jan 4 at 2am, my birthday is Jan 3, am i entitled to this benefit with my silver membership and 1 day past my brithday? but i will be checking in at the airport on my birthday though. Anyone else experience this benefit?
Old Dec 4, 2009, 9:17 am

Programs: BA- GGL, Hyatt-GLB, Marriott- AMB
Hit and miss. I think it really depends on the loading. My birthday flying experience: I got denied once on a long haul J-F, Diamond status then, and got upgraded once on a short haul, Y-J, Gold status then. Plus, you're not actually flying on your birthday. So, not sure what the formula is with status, flying class etc.
I also think there is an old post on this too.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by ryan_stoneworld
Im travelling on CX 889 YVR-HKG on Jan 4 at 2am, my birthday is Jan 3, am i entitled to this benefit with my silver membership and 1 day past my brithday? but i will be checking in at the airport on my birthday though. Anyone else experience this benefit?
Judging by the posts here in this forum it seems CX does reward people who are flying on their birthdays IF there is an empty seat for op-up.

If there's a full J and you have Y ticket you're not going to get anything besides "happy birthday" from the crew.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 11:26 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Judging by the posts here in this forum it seems CX does reward people who are flying on their birthdays IF there is an empty seat for op-up.

If there's a full J and you have Y ticket you're not going to get anything besides "happy birthday" from the crew.
How about a bottle of champagne?
Old Dec 4, 2009, 5:37 pm

Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
Have been conditioned by AA that there are no freebies in life; I have learnt not to expect anything when I am not paying for it. When I get freebies, I am delighted and it keeps me giving my business to them. That's why CX gets the bulk of my long haul travel.

This free upgrade on b'day - does it apply to OW elite pax?
Old Dec 4, 2009, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by salfcl
This free upgrade on b'day - does it apply to OW elite pax?
No, CX does not have your profile. In addition, many airlines like to give their own FFers a few more perks.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 8:50 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, OZ Gold, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Platinum, IHG Diamond
Does it need to state it in your booking that your birthday falls on a particular segment of your route? And if birthday op-ups only applies to those elite (e.g. Silver or above) but not low Green members?
Old Dec 5, 2009, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPC SL, PR Mabuhay, OZ Silver, SIA Krisflyer, QR Qmiles, Hotelclub Platinum Member
thanks for all your feedback guys, ill keep you posted right after the flight
Old Dec 5, 2009, 7:51 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by ryan_stoneworld
thanks for all your feedback guys, ill keep you posted right after the flight
Deleted
Old Dec 6, 2009, 12:11 am

Programs: CX Diamond, Thai ROP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Langham Voyager
My experience: I flew on the actual birthday, got upgraded from Y to J twice before. There was no UG (for me) when I flew a day before or after the actual birthday. Hope this helps.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 2:36 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Yea, this year I got an upgrade on KA Y-J on my actual birthday. Last year I flew the day after, and like the poster above got nothing. DM both years.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 7:19 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Few weeks ago, an SL member I know was upgraded Y-J on his birthday from SIN-HKG.

Flight was overbooked in Y, so hard to say if it was birthday op-up or general due to overbooking.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 6:32 pm

Feel bad for people born on Feb. 29th then...
salut0 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 9:03 pm

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
No, CX does not have your profile.
I thought that on an international flight, CX would have this information. I know that once the "Secure Flight" program is in place, August 15 for international flights, providing birth dates to the carrier will be required.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
I thought that on an international flight, CX would have this information. I know that once the "Secure Flight" program is in place, August 15 for international flights, providing birth dates to the carrier will be required.
Travelers' information is temporary. In addition, the airline cannot and will not verify the information at that point. They go by the profile on record.

Again, even if they can verify the information, I think they will still only give these (undocumented) perks to their own FFers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.