Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Club Carlson Credit Card (now available)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2012, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by onthego15
Ric Garrido at Loyalty Traveler made the announcement:

Club Carlson US Bank Visa card agreement has been signed and a cobranded credit card is expected to debut Q4-2012.

He was at a Carlson Group Conference this past week:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/loyalt...r-hotel-group/

US Bank has very few travel related credit cards:
http://www.usbank.com/credit-cards/compare.html
I have received an e-mail offer for the Premier Rewards card, which appears to be fairly attractive, but based on some comments that have been posted on this thread, it could be a bait and switch tactic where I could receive a lesser card or none at all. I have held off applying for this reason, but also because I have taken out three new travel rewards card since March '12, and am concerned that a fourth credit inquiry might result in a rejection, despite having a healthy FICO score.

Also, has anyone received a pre-screened offer in the mail as well as the e-mail?

Thanks for any input.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:05 am

Is the annual 40K points can be accumulated?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by czhouchem
Is the annual 40K points can be accumulated?
If you mean that they can be accumulated from year to year and don't have to be used....yes! That is a big benefit because most other credit cards that give you a free annual night have a 1 year expiration.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
If you mean that they can be accumulated from year to year and don't have to be used....yes! That is a big benefit because most other credit cards that give you a free annual night have a 1 year expiration.
that is exactly what I am asking. sometimes it's just feel good if you are sure that those points will sit in your account and don't have an expiration. I am going to use this card as my everyday card because of the 5 points for 1 dollar and 2 for 1 redemption. Even better than spg if only looking at high level hotels, if you can find one.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sdsearch
It's not US only.

It's US first (and other countries later).

You apparently missed post 27:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19754099-post37.html post 27

They plan "global", and Europe is next (the article linked in that post says). Just how "global" (ie, will they get around to Argentina and if so when) is not clear yet, though.

You do realize that to cover different countries they need different banks (since no one bank covers the whole world)??? So of course this card from this bank is US only! (Other cards will be from other banks, but which banks has not been announced yet.)

By the way, how many cities in Argentina does Club Carlson have hotels in?
HIDDY is British and still has a UK credit report. The UK has a lot of Carlson properties. London area alone has more Carlson hotels than the NYC, DC and Boston areas combined. Argentina is barren with regard to Carlson hotels as much as it is fertile agricultural and animal husbandry territory.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 6, 2012 at 7:38 pm
Old Dec 8, 2012, 2:01 am

Am I right in my assumption that it is better to wait for the year end and then apply in January so one can get 15 nights credit towards 2014 status qualification? (I've already qualified for 2013 concierge status)
Old Dec 8, 2012, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by tsmith12
Am I right in my assumption that it is better to wait for the year end and then apply in January so one can get 15 nights credit towards 2014 status qualification? (I've already qualified for 2013 concierge status)
Elite Night Credit: If you are already a Gold or Concierge Elite member (Silver, Gold or Concierge for Signature and Platinum Rewards) in the Club Carlson program at the time that you applied for your Account, you are eligible to earn a one-time credit of 15 nights (10 nights for Rewards Visa Signature and Platinum Rewards) toward obtaining or maintaining Concierge Elite status (Gold or Concierge for Signature and Platinum Rewards) after opening your Account and your first Net Purchase on the Card (“Elite Night Credit”). Elite Night Credits are eligible for Elite Roll Over Nights the first year following the date of issuance, but will not carry-over thereafter. Please allow 6 to 8 weeks after the date of the first Net Purchase to receive your Elite Night Credit. The Elite Night Credit is not available to applicants who have had this Card or another Club Carlson credit card product within the last 12 months.
Seems to me the nights won't be credited until you do two things. Just don't make a purchase until Jan 1.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Talking

"Please allow 6 to 8 weeks after the date of the first Net Purchase to receive your Elite Night Credit."
Six to 8 weeks from now is late January 2013, which AFAIK is in the new annual cycle to earn 2014 status. Plus, it can rollover to earning 2015 status.

BTW, I have not yet received my Visa card, but when I log in to my Club Carlson account, it gives me my 1 free night on each award stay I book. It says so in all-red letters before I hit 'confirm.'
Old Dec 8, 2012, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Brendan
[B]
BTW, I have not yet received my Visa card, but when I log in to my Club Carlson account, it gives me my 1 free night on each award stay I book. It says so in all-red letters before I hit 'confirm.'
Have you checked several hotels to see if the option shows up for all of them?

Reason for my asking is because in another thread someone posted that the wording of the offer in the credit card deal says that the 2for1 awards are available at "participating" hotels. He assumes that means that not all CC hotels will allow the 2for1 awards while I believe that "participating" refers to all hotels that participate in the Club Carlson program.

Would hate to get the card and then only certain hotels allow the 2for1 award redemptions. Assumption would be that the best, most expensive and most popular hotels would opt out of offering the award if they are indeed allowed to opt out of participation.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
They have already broken the mold with the redemption side of the 1-for-1 promo.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 1:38 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Christianj, I have made reservations with Radisson Blu's in Glasgow and Edinburgh, Scotland (44K) & Nice, France (50K) & gotten the oh-so-free night on all 3!
Old Dec 8, 2012, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Brendan
Christianj, I have made reservations with Radisson Blu's in Glasgow and Edinburgh, Scotland (44K) & Nice, France (50K) & gotten the oh-so-free night on all 3!
Thanks Brendan!!!! That is reassuring! If you have some extra time on your hands, would you mind doing a dummy booking for one of the high-end hotels in Paris and London to see if the 2for1 award option is offered. I would want to use it in Madrid in May 2013 as part of our trip to Spain and if some of the highest priced properties are available then I would assume Madrid will be a go as well. If you don't have time, I understand and will go with my gut feeling that all hotels allow it. The other guys post on "participating" hotels got me concerned.

Oh...enjoy your trips! We were in Nice this summer (stayed at the LeMeridien) as part of our summer trip to France. Stayed at the Radisson Champs Élysées in Paris and also the iC in Cannes.

Last edited by christianj; Dec 8, 2012 at 2:29 pm
Old Dec 8, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
http://www.clubcarlsonvisa.com/credit/welcome.do

May I suggest that the OP or the mod add the link to the cards' homepage to the first post? Since this go-to thread for the credit cards just proceeded from the anticipatory buzz one, one has to wander a ways into the thread looking for the link. Once found and bookmarked, no problem. But as one thread is a good idea, and this is the only thread on this board...

Thank you.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 3:49 pm

An interesting bit in the t&c on the cards' home page:

Club Carlson Program: The primary Cardmember (for Business Reward Accounts, the Cardmember who executed the application for credit) must be a Club Carlson member and the Cardmember's name must match the name on the Club Carlson account. A primary Cardmember (for Business Reward Accounts, the Cardmember who executed the application for credit) who is not an existing Club Carlson member at the time of Account application will be enrolled in the Club Carlson program as part of the Account application. Gold Points from separately enrolled Accounts may not be combined into one Club Carlson account.
...to which some (highly-placed) FlyerTalkers have reported contrary experience -- e.g., that they've combined Club Carlson accounts with ease.

[My bolding]
Old Dec 8, 2012, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by christianj
Have you checked several hotels to see if the option shows up for all of them?

Reason for my asking is because in another thread someone posted that the wording of the offer in the credit card deal says that the 2for1 awards are available at "participating" hotels. He assumes that means that not all CC hotels will allow the 2for1 awards while I believe that "participating" refers to all hotels that participate in the Club Carlson program.

Would hate to get the card and then only certain hotels allow the 2for1 award redemptions. Assumption would be that the best, most expensive and most popular hotels would opt out of offering the award if they are indeed allowed to opt out of participation.
First of all it was me who posted the wording. I made no conclusions about what participating means, just that it is curiously there.

Secondly, please stop calling it a 2for1, it most certainly isn't and you, while misrepresenting my first point, have consistently ignored myself and others who categorically claim it is not a 2for1.

This is most clearly "your last night of an award gratis". If you stay 1 day you get nothing free. If 2 days you get 1 of those days free. If 3 days you pay for 2 and get one free. If 4 days you pay for the first 3 and get the 4th for free. Is that so difficult to understand?

Originally Posted by Firewind
An interesting bit in the t&c on the cards' home page:

...to which some (highly-placed) FlyerTalkers have reported contrary experience -- e.g., that they've combined Club Carlson accounts with ease.

[My bolding]
Perhaps they are referring to the movement of sign up bonuses from multiple cards/accounts rather than the simple movement of non-cc-bonus points?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.