Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Caribbean and nearby Atlantic including Puerto Rico
Reload this Page >

Dominican Republic / Punta Cana - all inclusive recommendations please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dominican Republic / Punta Cana - all inclusive recommendations please

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2016, 5:46 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Dreams Palm Beach is indeed smaller, but the service is quite similar. If you get a Club room, you have a nicer experience with a part of the beach reserved for Club guests only. Another thing I like about the Dreams properties is the fact that you don't have to wear a wristband.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by SDQBound
Here are my suggestions, organized by preference.

1- Paradisus Palma Real or Paradisus Punta Cana. If you are able to spend a few hundreds more per person and get "The Reserve" rooms and amenities, much better.
2- Melia Caribe Tropical. Again, spending a few hundreds more to get access to "The Level" is even better.
3- Royalton Punta Cana
4- Hard Rock Hotel Punta Cana
5- Any of the Iberostar
6- Dreams Punta Cana or Dreams Palm Beach
I was looking at Iberostar Grand but I see you have others above it. Curious what you like about the Paradisus properties!? Every resort looks so nice I am trying to differentiate them.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
I was looking at Iberostar Grand but I see you have others above it. Curious what you like about the Paradisus properties!? Every resort looks so nice I am trying to differentiate them.
I cannot speak to any of the Paradisus properties but we stayed at the Sol Melia Caribe Tropical The Level Spring 2017 and found it a very good experience. I have stayed at the Iberostar Grand (both at Punta Cana and Riviera Maya) and personally consider The Level at the Sole Melia superior. The Level is one of the resort within a resort concepts where you get really nice rooms, private pools, private beach, private restaurants, etc. The only possible drawback is it is adults only (if you have children). I don't think they even allow teens there.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
Melia Properties (Which includes Paradisus) differentiate themselves in a few things: Level of service, gastronomy, peaceful environment. We have stayed at many properties in Punta Cana and while they were nicely kept and all looked the same, at most resorts you have the subpar buffet and snacks, and the A La Carte thematic restaurants which can be hit or miss and requires an advanced reservation that could be hectic because #1 you only receive certain number of reservations based on the length of your stay and #2 most of the time you have to fight to get a time slot. At both Melia The Level and Paradisus The Reserve you have restaurants that have both a buffet and A La Carte (Gabi Club is one of the best) included and without the need to reserve and you also have access to the other buffets that are actually good.

At other resorts you have a lot of activities that could be fun but we find them to be too many, Melia properties do have activities but are more low key and allow you to enjoy the swimming pool and the beach without having someone on the microphone with loud music throughout the day. This is the same for Royalton and Hard Rock.

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I cannot speak to any of the Paradisus properties but we stayed at the Sol Melia Caribe Tropical The Level Spring 2017 and found it a very good experience. I have stayed at the Iberostar Grand (both at Punta Cana and Riviera Maya) and personally consider The Level at the Sole Melia superior. The Level is one of the resort within a resort concepts where you get really nice rooms, private pools, private beach, private restaurants, etc. The only possible drawback is it is adults only (if you have children). I don't think they even allow teens there.
Actually The Level has two different sections: The Level (Adults Only) which is the one near the beach and, and The Level Suites which is next to the Gabi Club and the VIP Lounge and it's for everyone. The only drawback is that "Cuatro" restaurant in The Level Adults Only does not allow children, but the food offer is very similar to the one at Gabi.
SacTownGuy likes this.

Last edited by SDQBound; Dec 18, 2018 at 7:03 am
Old Apr 20, 2021, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Smile Dreams Brand takes Dogs!

Dreams Palm Beach is indeed smaller, but the service is quite similar. If you get a Club room, you have a nicer experience with a part of the beach reserved for Club guests only. Another thing I like about the Dreams properties is the fact that you don't have to wear a wristband.
I will be able to take my Pug with me, as their parent company, allows dogs at all its brands!
Old May 2, 2021, 7:59 pm

Trying to decide between Hyatt Zilara Cap Cana vs. Iberostar Grand. Can anyone offer some insight? I'm going in early June and primary considerations would be 1) how nice and calm is the ocean in that area and 2) quality of food

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old May 3, 2021, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Sandeep1
Trying to decide between Hyatt Zilara Cap Cana vs. Iberostar Grand. Can anyone offer some insight? I'm going in early June and primary considerations would be 1) how nice and calm is the ocean in that area and 2) quality of food

Any thoughts? Thanks.
They are both good but I would chose Hyatt Zilara all the way. There's absolutely no comparison. Zilara was finished right before the pandemic so you will get the brand new hotel feeling, services are top notch, and the food is amazing. Ocean is equally calm at both, but there's less shade at the Hyatt. Iberostar Grand is much older and the service is not as good as Hyatt's. Food is good at both, but I like Hyatt's concept better.

Keep in mind that Iberostar is in Bavaro and Hyatt is in Cap Cana, two completely different areas. Bavaro is really crowded with a lot of hotels next to each other, anyone can access the beach so you'll find a lot of vendors, and the area is more active. Cap Cana is a secluded area with only a few hotels around and a small village/marina (Which, due to the pandemic, looks like a ghost town).
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old May 24, 2021, 8:58 am

Probably a little late but the Hyatt recent change to "charge for the good locations" at the beach/pool have turned me off so I am sticking with Iberostar. Yes, Iberostar has an "upgraded" area but IMHO it's handled dramatically better than Hyatt's money grab move.

I personally didn't think the service was better at Hyatt and since it costs a lot more and now wants extra for things that were included last year I am moving on
Old Aug 19, 2021, 10:26 am

Wanted to update the thread to add Hilton La Romana to the list of suggested resorts. We have stayed there several time and the property is nice, relatively smaller than other resorts, but still with a variety of swimming pools and activities. As Hilton Gold, we have received room upgrade and we are able to access the Premium areas. It had a few hiccups after the remodeling was done, but overall we like it a lot.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 6:24 am

Wanted to update the thread to add Hilton La Romana to the list of suggested resorts. We have stayed there several time and the property is nice, relatively smaller than other resorts, but still with a variety of swimming pools and activities. As Hilton Gold, we have received room upgrade and we are able to access the Premium areas. It had a few hiccups after the remodeling was done, but overall we like it a lot.
so I am actually leaving for the Dominican Republic Saturday. Im currently booked at the Iberostar grand which I have always liked, but I have to be honest Im very concerned about the state of the beach with the seaweed . I know theres nothing the resort can do but Im a beach person.

So that said would you recommend the Hilton more than the Iberostar. Im debating right now moving to the Hilton. Booking a non-premium room its about the same price Im Gold on Hilton so hopefully I get premium or can pay to upgrade at a more reasonable price than on the website
Old Aug 29, 2021, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
so I am actually leaving for the Dominican Republic Saturday. Im currently booked at the Iberostar grand which I have always liked, but I have to be honest Im very concerned about the state of the beach with the seaweed . I know theres nothing the resort can do but Im a beach person.

So that said would you recommend the Hilton more than the Iberostar. Im debating right now moving to the Hilton. Booking a non-premium room its about the same price Im Gold on Hilton so hopefully I get premium or can pay to upgrade at a more reasonable price than on the website
Hopefully everything went well for you!
Old Oct 4, 2021, 10:37 pm

Avoid the Excellence properties. Worst experience of my life. The food was disgusting.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 6:33 pm

Hopefully everything went well for you!

So this is INCREDIBLY late but... I actually stayed with the Iberostar Grand last year And had a great stay.

Yes, here was seaweed which made swimming 'problematic" but the beach was usable (they cleaned it a lot ) and the service and overall experience was great.

I said i was done with AI for a while but have been working A LOT over the past 6 months and have a HUGE push over the next few months. Now looking at returning to the DR in June and looking at my options.

I really liked the Iberostar Grand but... price point for an "solo play trip" is a little high so I am looking at your other suggestions!
Old Mar 31, 2022, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
So this is INCREDIBLY late but... I actually stayed with the Iberostar Grand last year And had a great stay.

Yes, here was seaweed which made swimming 'problematic" but the beach was usable (they cleaned it a lot ) and the service and overall experience was great.

I said i was done with AI for a while but have been working A LOT over the past 6 months and have a HUGE push over the next few months. Now looking at returning to the DR in June and looking at my options.

I really liked the Iberostar Grand but... price point for an "solo play trip" is a little high so I am looking at your other suggestions!
Prices have gone up significantly. We stayed at the Paradisus Palma Real and were very disappointed, not the best experience overall.

Some relatives stayed at the Iberostar Grand and were amazed. Hyatt prices are also very high right now.

Check Margaritaville, brand new and might be worth it a shot, I've heard great reviews.

I'll do a research with my local friends and will get back at you!
Old Apr 2, 2022, 4:36 pm

Hyatt pricing is absurd. Especially since they keep cutting out whats included in AI

currently looking at Hilton. Thanks for the update on. Paradisus. Saw a good rate there but just didnt feel comfortable pulling the trigger and from what youre saying probably was a good choice not to

still playing around with options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.