Rude Canadian immigration

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rude Canadian immigration

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2011, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Vasco
You're actually referring to Customs Officers from CBSA, not Immigration Officers from CIC. CBSA staff man the booths and question you. As a Canadian citizen, you'd never deal with a proper CIC Immigration Officer. Immigration staff are located in the secondary screening area.
This. I've had my share of good, bad, and indifferent CBSA staff (though for sheer awfulness nobody can compare to LHR staff, be they immigration, customs, or security). But as a permanent resident, I've also had to deal with CIC officers a couple of times, and I have to say they've always been very pleasant, to me at least.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: AC SE100*1MM; Spire Ambassador
I have used YVR, YYC (my home airport), YYZ, YUL, returning from overseas, and over the years my conclusion is that the Canadian Immigration officers are very heterogeneous: some are good and professional, while others are very rude. Perhaps I use more often Calgary airport, I'd say 40% of Custom and Immigration officers are cold and rude (they asked stupid questions and I feel they did so purely to show their authority postering). I have better impressions on YVR officers.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I haven't had any problems entering Canada at an airport but I did encounter a slightly rude officer coming off a cruise in Vancouver. He questioned me for 15-20 minutes. The officer seemed personally offended that I hadn't bought any gifts for my Canadian friends and family; he was almost berating me for not bringing them any gifts. After he finally got over that issue, he seemed really confused by the fact that my cruise roommates and I were all from different places. Guess he's never heard of the internet.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Phrantic
The Customs Act doesn't go into specifics it simply says everyone who enters... That includes CDNs and Foreign Nationals. As to whether it is constitutional or not, that's for people in fancy robes to decide... And, since the law has been in effect for over 20 years, I am assuming that it may have already passed the Charter test.
I was wondering that as well. There seems to be ton of cases about foreign nationals and various breaches, but I can't seem to find one where a Canadian refused to answer questions. I can only find ones where a Canadian objects to having been searched, which I noted has been found legal.

While the law requires the same of everyone, its application is very different. A foreign national who doesn't comply is simply refused entry, and the courts have held that a person applying for entry has an obligation to answer questions so that the officer may make a decision. But for a legitimate Canadian citizen, they aren't making a decision on entry (they are legal obligated to admit you); rather they are making a decision on if you should be subject to further search. As that is their goal, an argument that you were invoking your right not to incriminate yourself would be interesting to see play out.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by PokerHammy
Went through YVR a few times, and the Canadian agents were polite and efficient.

As a U.S. citizen I hate to say it but my worst experiences were with the U.S. Customs agents at YVR - they were rude, mean, and power tripped.
I have had the opposite experience. Dont get me wrong, I have had a couple of a-holes before coming back into the US but I used to do a lot of trips to YVR and let me tell ya.....every time was an a-hole experience. Even if I put on my happy face.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: 50K
I spent 6 years in the US on a H1B and I can tell you that nothing beats US immigration officers at JFK for rudeness. I find CBSA officers to be cold but not rude generally.

I find the focus on Canadian inspection is on the customs side where most airport passport checks in other parts of the world is on immigration issues. I find it irritating that CBSA spend so much time on that extra bottle of booze they suspect you are hiding rather than dealing with big picture stuff.

Thankfully I have Nexus now and can avoid the hassles.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Ace Cdn
The way I understand it with global entry you go to the kiosk do your thing then you just give them the card on the way out and your done...just like Nexus in Canada. When you preclear to the US you use the nexus machine then you have to wait to talk to a guy and you still get asked all the questions then they let you go. If you have been approved for Nexus I don't see why you still have to stop and have a conversation with the customs officer unless your card says you are declaring something.
you get secondaried all the time? For me, its just use the NEXUS machine and give the NEXUS Printout card along with my US Customs Form and show my NEXUS Card to the US CBP Officer collecting such cards.... no questions asked (unless I get secondaried, which they will open my bag and inspect it and ask me where i am going etc) thats all

I take my glasses off but the that green area either asks me to aim above my nose for a successful capture or sometimes they want my right iris in the green area..... machine make up you mind!

when i pass customs, yes sir/mam, no sir/mam, i can from XYZ, thank you sir/mam
Old Feb 5, 2011, 10:35 am

The way I understand it with global entry you go to the kiosk do your thing then you just give them the card on the way out and your done...just like Nexus in Canada. When you preclear to the US you use the nexus machine then you have to wait to talk to a guy and you still get asked all the questions then they let you go. If you have been approved for Nexus I don't see why you still have to stop and have a conversation with the customs officer unless your card says you are declaring something.
This depends on which airport you are at. Normally I clear US customs at Pearson and I never have to wait to talk to anyone, just hand in the cards (YVR is the same too if I recall). In Ottawa you sometimes have to wait to hand in your cards (handed in to the crew line agent) but I don't recall being asked any questions. Where are you clearing?
Old Feb 5, 2011, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Vasco
You're actually referring to Customs Officers from CBSA, not Immigration Officers from CIC. CBSA staff man the booths and question you. As a Canadian citizen, you'd never deal with a proper CIC Immigration Officer. Immigration staff are located in the secondary screening area.

It may seem a minor distinction, but it actually needs to be understood. It bothers me because if you're going to complain about someone, make sure you're complaining about the right person. Canadian citizens do not interact with CIC Immigration Officers at the airport. We interact entirely with CBSA staff.
There haven't been CIC staff at the airports in a few years. Those in the immigration secondary inspection area are with CBSA (though many used to be with CIC before CBSA was created in 2003). The officers staffing the "primary inspection line" are customs officers, immigration officers, screening officers under the Quarantine Act, and officers under both the Plant Protection Act and Health of Animals Act.

Originally Posted by scapaflow
I find the focus on Canadian inspection is on the customs side where most airport passport checks in other parts of the world is on immigration issues. I find it irritating that CBSA spend so much time on that extra bottle of booze they suspect you are hiding rather than dealing with big picture stuff.
You're preaching to the choir here. You'll find that a lot of officers actually agree with your opinion.

I'd like to see a move toward further automation and integration of biometrics (e-channel for citizens and possibly permanent residents) on the immigration side. Foreign nationals would still have to see an officer. For customs, I'd like to see a red channel / green channel system. More officers would be roving the baggage reclaim area and more random or targeted inspections would take place. But I dream....

Last edited by yyzvoyageur; Feb 5, 2011 at 10:53 am
Old Feb 5, 2011, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by SensFan
This depends on which airport you are at. Normally I clear US customs at Pearson and I never have to wait to talk to anyone, just hand in the cards (YVR is the same too if I recall). In Ottawa you sometimes have to wait to hand in your cards (handed in to the crew line agent) but I don't recall being asked any questions. Where are you clearing?
Clearing in Calgary. When I went through last month the guy just looked at my card and passport and let me through. The previous 3 times. I got the questions. Where are you going? What is the purpose of your visit? How long are you staying? Where are you staying? Are you bringing anything into the US?...etc
Old Feb 5, 2011, 10:44 am

Clearing in Calgary. When I went through last month the guy just looked at my card and passport and let me through. The previous 3 times. I got the questions. Where are you going? What is the purpose of your visit? How long are you staying? Where are you staying? Are you bringing anything into the US?...etc
hmm.... weird.... but those are typical questions.... i got used to it....
Old Feb 5, 2011, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
you get secondaried all the time? For me, its just use the NEXUS machine and give the NEXUS Printout card along with my US Customs Form and show my NEXUS Card to the US CBP Officer collecting such cards.... no questions asked (unless I get secondaried, which they will open my bag and inspect it and ask me where i am going etc) thats all

I take my glasses off but the that green area either asks me to aim above my nose for a successful capture or sometimes they want my right iris in the green area..... machine make up you mind!

when i pass customs, yes sir/mam, no sir/mam, i can from XYZ, thank you sir/mam
no I have never been secondaried but I always seem to get asked the questions when I am handing them my card.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 11:03 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
You really need a dose of real world education if you manage to get riled up over questions of where did you go and how did you meet your traveling partners. As a citizen of a third country, I have found CBSA officers to be professional and efficient. US officers to be among the rudest on earth - one of them physically slapped my hand to get a hold of my documents, when asking for them would have sufficed. In other countries, I have had officers rummage throughout my entire belongings. This included the UK, where a burst envelope of silica gel among my photo equipment caused quite the ruckus (you see, the stuff is white and powdery). In Canada I never spent more than 1 minute at the booth - occasionally the agent had a bad day, but so do I sometimes.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 11:49 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by Mauricio23
You really need a dose of real world education if you manage to get riled up over questions of where did you go and how did you meet your traveling partners.
+1

To me, no big deal. And, as most people know, they don't really care what the answer is. They're just looking for clues to see if you're making the stuff up so they can go after the bigger stuff.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 12:32 pm

Programs: AC, SWA, AA, NWA, EVA
Well considering that the process only takes one to maybe two minutes, it's not a big incursion into my time, however, I'm always glad to get through it. I've been asked lots of specific questions and lots of general questions. I've never had any single agent from either country insult me, but they have asked questions aggressively and asked things that may throw you off balance. That's just a technique to get a valid response. As long as you remain pleasant and cooperative, it's a non-issue crossing the borders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.