Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Greyhound non-refundable tickets - what if I miss the bus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Greyhound non-refundable tickets - what if I miss the bus?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2009, 12:44 pm

No problem
That was a short post from my mobile just because I was worried what they would say and wanted to update the OP asap.

Home again now...
I tested it 2x
that was CLE - Washington DC - they just let me, i was "will call" and showed up and said i missed my bus due to flight issues and they printed my original ticket so the ticket and bag check slips had my original time, bus driver did not care/ does not as long as you have a ticket. Only time was a issue was because I was "will call" and had to have them print it up.

Then yesterday from San Antonio I missed the bus again, and same thing, took next one. no problem no fee. The bus was the worst though (poor driver/rude/dirty/loud), I have only been on GLI this was Americanos. I would probabbly have waited for a GLI later if I had known they were not all GLI.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 10:18 pm

A $250 "inconvenience" according to Greyhound

I purchased two one way, 21 day advance purchase e-tickets on Greyhound Buslines from Minneapolis to Nashville, TN back on December 30, 2009 for travel on January 24, 2010 (and also my return trip back to Minneapolis) since my daughter will be there for 6 months). I won’t know what specific day we are traveling until about 2 weeks ahead of time, and I saw that the fares are much lower if you buy at least 21 days ahead of time as opposed to a walk-up fare, 7 day advance or 14 day advance purchase. I studiously read the fine print on the Greyhound website before purchasing, which stated that you can take a later bus than the time listed on the ticket as long as you pay a $15 exchange fee per ticket. Just in case, I placed an email (the day before I purchased the tickets) to their customer support team. She (Linda H.) told me that was the case, that I could take a later bus with a $15 per ticket charge. But….now when I emailed them them this week (the very same lady who told me I could leave after the departure date on the tickets with only a $15 per ticket penalty) now tells me that the tickets MUST be used by January 24, because they are e-tickets (they are saying these cannot be changed) but will call tickets can. I tried to get them to change the tickets to will call, but they refuse to do so. I was told in an email “we apologize for the inconvenience”. An inconvenience? $250 worth of tickets that I can’t use based on a technicality, when a representative from Greyhound specifically told me in an email that this was fine to do? After going back and forth with many emails, going nowhere, they are now telling me to call customer service. Any ideas on how this can be resolved satisfactorily and how I should persuade customer service that this is just wrong???
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:23 pm

Consider a credit card challenge.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:48 am

Greyhound is not fussy like airlines (and Megabus) about travel dates. As long as you have a ticket, you'll be able to get on a bus that will get you there. Bring your eticket and the bus driver (who will check your ticket) will let you on the bus. You don't need to do an exchange. I've traveled on Greyhound for 10 years, and never ever once have I been denied boarding because I'm trying to get on a different schedule than what's printed on my ticket.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:14 am

I am taking the bus from Vancouver to Seattle on Thursday. When I picked up my ticket, after purchasing it online some time ago, I asked about taking an earlier bus. I was told that it would cost $15, and I'd have to stand in line for it to be reissued, if I wanted to do that. $15 is not bad, but my original ticket only cost $17. I decided to just take my normal bus time, rather than contend with possibly long Olympic-influenced lines.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 7:36 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Does it matter if it is not a Greyhound connection that causes you to miss the bus? (i.e. you are taking an Amtrak/Bus combo, and since the train is late you miss the bus?)
Old Dec 10, 2019, 9:48 am

Later bus

I booked a later bus with a non refundable to be sure I didn’t miss my bus and have your situation.
i arrived early and asked to take the earlier bus. I was denied even though the bus had only 5 people on it.
customer satisfaction is obviously not the goal of greyhound
Old Dec 10, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Les Often
I booked a later bus with a non refundable to be sure I didn’t miss my bus and have your situation.
i arrived early and asked to take the earlier bus. I was denied even though the bus had only 5 people on it.
customer satisfaction is obviously not the goal of greyhound
You booked a non-refundable, non-changeable ticket, getting a cheaper deal and taking the risk. You then wanted to change it - which requires buying a new ticket. You did not want to pay $$. I'd say the customer's at fault here for not being satisfied
farci likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 4:23 pm

I am catching the bus in Eureka California and traveling all the way to Boise Idaho.

Originally Posted by yankervitch
My personal experience with the DC - NY route (which also has at least one bus an hour) is that nobody looks at the time of the ticket. I've tried it several times (taken an earlier bus, or a later bus, than my ticket) with no problems.

For what it's worth -- if you're anywhere along the NE corridor, BoltBus (part of Greyhound) and MegaBus are both cleaner and generally terminate in less-odd parts of town. MegaBus does stop at intermediate cities, while BoltBus operates out of NY with direct trips to Philly, Boston, and DC -- but I find it's hard to beat their fares. BoltBus also has a similar policy with respect to the time listed on the ticket, space permitting.
I missed the bus and it says if I pay $20 I can get the ticket reprinted and catch the next bus. Now I need one that takes me all the way to Idaho which is tomorrow morning. They aren't going to say the first bus going from Eureka to Oakland right? Because I travel much further and have two other cities im stopping in.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 9:46 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Geneva R
I missed the bus and it says if I pay $20 I can get the ticket reprinted and catch the next bus. Now I need one that takes me all the way to Idaho which is tomorrow morning. They aren't going to say the first bus going from Eureka to Oakland right? Because I travel much further and have two other cities im stopping in.
I am guessing it's too late to help now, but there really isn't enough info here to try to help.

Did you try to call? (of course I don't know if Greyhound even answers the phone these days)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.