Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage [max weight]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2008, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I was amazed how stingy other airlines are even when travelling in F.
But if you are in F, unless you really take the p!ss, and none of your bags is over 32kgs, any notional limit is likely to be waived.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by The Saint
But if you are in F, unless you really take the p!ss, and none of your bags is over 32kgs, any notional limit is likely to be waived.
Mmmm I'll take your word on that and get back to you after the trip with the bill.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 12:16 pm

Not a technique that I would tend to employ. At GBP75 to take 96Kg on BA it is v good value to Oz. At ( iirc ) GBP25 per Kg for excess rates on others, even if they waive some of it , they excesses would be a lot. I doubt that many carriers would waive 56Kg of excess.

On top of that I can take another piece for diving gear so without any risk of fees can get to 92Kg

I think that the BA allowances must be around the most generous going for premium cabins

Dave
Old Dec 5, 2008, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Not a technique that I would tend to employ. At GBP75 to take 96Kg on BA it is v good value to Oz. At ( iirc ) GBP25 per Kg for excess rates on others, even if they waive some of it , they excesses would be a lot. I doubt that many carriers would waive 56Kg of excess.

On top of that I can take another piece for diving gear so without any risk of fees can get to 92Kg

I think that the BA allowances must be around the most generous going for premium cabins
There's no substitute for experience Dave.

As an F pax on BA, you can take 96kgs without charge.

When flying F on the weight (rather than piece) system, I have never had any problem getting 64kgs (i.e. 2 x 32kgs) against an allowance of 40kgs on QF, SQ, CX. YMMV.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Bags up to 32kg will continue to be allowed for First, CW and Gold & Silver card holders, but not their oneword equivalents. All BA staff are aware of the rules now.
Thanks sunrisegirl.

I am currently in balmy Moscow (warmer than London!) with a suitcase that exceeded 23kg on my pre-26 November departure.

I shall be interested to see how BA at DME deal with this issue on my return...
Old Dec 5, 2008, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by dando
My son travelled yesterday to gig wt cabin no status...he had only 1 piece of checked luggage but as this weighed 31.5 kg I suggested he repack into 2 smaller bags to avoid heavy bag charge of gbp25.00... he decided that he would rather pay up than lug 2 bags around . He checked in online and proceeded to bag drop t5 expecting to have to cough up gbp25.....to his delight nothing was said and he has now arrived in rio...as has his v heavy bag! Result! as he would say..
The charge does not apply to Brazil due to govt rules.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 3:07 pm

There's no substitute for experience Dave.

As an F pax on BA, you can take 96kgs without charge.

When flying F on the weight (rather than piece) system, I have never had any problem getting 64kgs (i.e. 2 x 32kgs) against an allowance of 40kgs on QF, SQ, CX. YMMV.
I haven't seen anything official to state that the overweight fee is waived for F, so was basing on the published amounts. 4 * 32 ( given extra piece for diving ) gives an allowance of 128Kg which is amazing

60Kg is about the limit that EK was prepared to allow without charge

QF is, from what I can tell, starting to crack down on excess baggage and I wouldnt rely on continuing to get away with that much extra on QF

Dave
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Baggage - more than 23kgs but less than 32kgs

Hi

Does anyone have any experience of taking above 23kgs (but less than 32kgs) in one bag.

BA advertise that there is a £25 charge for this, but no reference to when this is applied. MMB will only allow me to buy an extra bag (at a cost of £72).

The relevant piece of BA.com states

Originally Posted by BA.com
British Airways has a limit of 23kg (51lbs) for any single checked bag as part of your free baggage allowance.

We understand that there are times when you will need to exceed this limit. Therefore, a flat fee of £25 GBP will be applied to bags weighing more than 23kg (51lbs). This charge is to cover the additional handling that bags weighing over 23kg (51lbs) can attract.

Please note that we will not accept a bag heavier than 32kg (70lbs) as checked baggage.
But doesn't elaborate. Will they just charge it at checkin? Is there any way I can pay it in advance?
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:17 am

I do believe as a Silver, the extra is unofficially being waived. Will find that thread and merge yours on there....
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
As a Silver/Gold/Premium cabin pax, it should be waived according to staff posts on here ^ Though I have yet to see a public, 'official' declaration to that effect.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Passengers travelling in First, CW and CE are exempt, as are BA Gold and Silver card holders (but not their oneworld equivalents).
Staff at both LHR and LGW are fully aware of the rules.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Jolly good. Thanks guys! I fully expect to have to indulge in some DYKWIA at the CW checkin desk (even though travelling Y) but seeing as I have a criminally pathetic CIV score, will revel in the opportunity...
Old Dec 8, 2008, 1:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Reading this thread I find it hard to believe that anyone who is travelling F or CW, or is Gold or Silver, really gives a toss whether BA levies a GBP25 charge at check-in for a bag that is between 23 and 32 kg.

If you can afford to be in any of the above four categories surely a GBP25 per bag surcharge isn't going to put too much of a strain on your finances?
Old Dec 8, 2008, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Reading this thread I find it hard to believe that anyone who is travelling F or CW, or is Gold or Silver, really gives a toss whether BA levies a GBP25 charge at check-in for a bag that is between 23 and 32 kg.

If you can afford to be in any of the above four categories surely a GBP25 per bag surcharge isn't going to put too much of a strain on your finances?
I think the other side of the coin is...if you've paid "a lot" of money for your premium ticket and/or many tickets to get status, being nickle-and-dimed for a checked bag when you get to the airport feels really rather distasteful and petty. *Awaits people moaning that not being able to select a seat on premium ticket is distasteful and petty too*
Old Dec 8, 2008, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer

Most FT'ers are quite a stingy lot I would say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.