Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage [max weight]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2008, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Silver, BA Blue, FlyingClub Red
Luggage [max weight]

Can anyone advise on whether there is a max weight now for luggage? Travelling CW LGW to BGI soon and would like to know if there are any in force regs.
Thanks.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
26th November is the date for a heavy bag charge to be applied to all bags over 23kg - rate will be £25.

However, latest news is that passengers travelling in FIRST, CW and our Gold and Silver card holders will be exempt and still allowed up to 32kg. I'll try and find the thread and post it.

OK this is the thread where it says about the exemptions for premium pax.

Last edited by sunrisegirl; Nov 16, 2008 at 3:54 pm
Old Nov 16, 2008, 3:36 pm

Programs: BAEC, Blue for now.
Max weight per bag is 32 Kilos. Nothing over that weight may be checked into UK airports apparently.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I think from the 26th November the max weight per case goes down to 23kg from 32kg per case.

You can pay £25 per case abover 23kg and below 32kg

Bags above 32kg will no longer be allowed.

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 16, 2008, 7:53 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
26th November is the date for a heavy bag charge to be applied to all bags over 23kg - rate will be £25.

However, latest news is that passengers travelling in FIRST, CW and our Gold and Silver card holders will be exempt and still allowed up to 32kg. I'll try and find the thread and post it.

OK this is the thread where it says about the exemptions for premium pax.
I have not yet seen anything written on ba.com to confirm the exemption mentioned in the other thread, so it would be very useful if you (or anyone else from BA) could please confirm what instructions are being given to staff in this regard, as I am sure there will be some scenes at check in.....
Old Nov 17, 2008, 3:10 am

Passengers in First, Club World and Club Europe and Gold/silver Exec Club members will not be charged for heavy bags.

additionally any passengers travelling on the same booking as a Gold/Silver member will not be charged either, however if on seperate bookings but travelling together, non gold/silver card holders will be charged.

krgds.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 3:43 am

Programs: BA
Proof?

Is there something that can be printed out as proof to the staff member that I'm bound to encounter who'll want to charge me for being over? Not sure that "I read it on FlyerTalk" will carry much weight (if you'll pardon the pun).

Max
Old Nov 17, 2008, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by Igo2DaMax
Is there something that can be printed out as proof to the staff member that I'm bound to encounter who'll want to charge me for being over? Not sure that "I read it on FlyerTalk" will carry much weight (if you'll pardon the pun).

Max
All of the desks in T5 have access to ba.com, so they can check the page at the time. That said if I see any more comms about the heavy charges I will go nuts so I dont think you will find many staff who do not know all about it. Although 32k is the limit there are certain items that can be allowed above this with prior notice, ie. TVs etc, again full details on ba.com.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 5:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by adrianjc32
All of the desks in T5 have access to ba.com, so they can check the page at the time.
Yes, but the relevant ba.com page doesn't say anything about this exemption for F, Club, Gold and Silver pax. I think that's the point that others were making. I don't think any of us have seen any announcement from BA about this.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
Yes, but the relevant ba.com page doesn't say anything about this exemption for F, Club, Gold and Silver pax. I think that's the point that others were making. I don't think any of us have seen any announcement from BA about this.
Usual dog's dinner from BA on this one - how hard can it be to formulate a baggage policy, communicate it to customers AND staff and implement it.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 7:15 am

It is also a concern that, on the strength of what ba.com advises, FIRST, Club, Gold and Silver pax may well be pre-paying their "heavy bag" fee, when they need not.

It would be nice to see the actual policy posted on ba.com.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Originally Posted by adrianjc32
... Although 32k is the limit there are certain items that can be allowed above this with prior notice, ie. TVs etc, again full details on ba.com.
I'd heard the IFE was a little dodgy, but that's going a bit far !

... assuming of course you're talking about television sets
Old Nov 17, 2008, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by The Saint
It is also a concern that, on the strength of what ba.com advises, FIRST, Club, Gold and Silver pax may well be pre-paying their "heavy bag" fee, when they need not.

It would be nice to see the actual policy posted on ba.com.
Sounds to me as if the new policy will be in force but they want to take a softly softly approach on it with the premium pax until the message gets across. I doubt if they will advertise the "we will continue to turn a blind eye" to those going over the 23kg limit for the time being.

I'd look on it as a bonus for FT members and those in the know.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 8:00 am

Could not have put it better! well said...
Old Nov 17, 2008, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Sounds to me as if the new policy will be in force but they want to take a softly softly approach on it with the premium pax until the message gets across.
But isn't that what has supposed to have been happening for the past xx months, since they delayed the last implementation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.