Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage [max weight]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2008, 7:57 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Yesterday at DME: three of us over 23kg and travelling in Y (). My two Blue card colleagues were charged £25 and I was charged nothing.

There was a brief conversation between the check in lady and her colleague, which may have been about waiving the fee, although I did not understand what she said.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC lowly blue, various semi-worthless hotel programs.
Are there any more data points for the regions? I'm connecting NCL-LHR-BOS next week, with the LHR-BOS portion in F, and I may be a few kgs over 23kg. However, I am a little sceptical that the staff at NCL will be clued up as far as waiving the charge (as I believe I should get the allowance for the most generous sector for the whole journey). I'm not that bothered about paying the £25, but it seems a bit silly to do so if it's not required.

I just checked ba.com again and it seems that there is still not ref to the "extra" allowance for J/F so I can't print anything to take with me.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Silver, BA Blue, FlyingClub Red
Hi All from a beautiful sunny Barbados! Sorry! just had to rub it in especially after reading today's post about fog at LHR. So why am I posting you may ask if I'm on holiday? Well just checking out the departures from Manchester in order to pick up family! No fog in Manchester! Virgin Atlantic taken off on time...

Anyway back to my posting - left LGW last week Monday 8 to be exact in CW no probs with the weight of luggage whatsoever - casually mentioned to the check-in guy about the luggage weight and he said as long as it's a good bit below 32kg...I think the wife's case was around 28kg if I remember rightly watching the scales and the other two cases hovered around 25kg. So no worries there..Also fantastic flight, wonderful attentive cabin crew and good food...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to one and all! Hope the fog clears...
^
Old Dec 14, 2008, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Marriott Ambassador, HH diamond IHG plat
On Saturday CPT-LHR in F, 3 bags all 30-31kg, no hint of any charge (would be a shame to leave without a few cases on wine on board)
Old Dec 15, 2008, 2:02 am

Programs: Etihad Gold
F 32kg Question

I am taking some books for a childrens charity in CPT, and I expect this to take all my bags to 32kg. Do you think a letter in advance, maybe copying the communication with the charity might allow waiving the fees?
Old Dec 15, 2008, 2:22 am

Jimbob247 - hopefully the thread I've merged yours into will answer your question - shouldn't be a problem
Old Dec 31, 2008, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I was checking in at EDI for my flight to LHR and my case was 24.2kg

The Aviance checkin agent said at first thant my case was overweight but as I started to mention " I thought that..." he mentioned " Sorry, I see you are a gold card hoder. There is no charge" before I could say " Gold card holders did not get charged"

Lounge here in EDI is dead quiet.

Happy New Year!

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 31, 2008, 8:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Forgot to add my data point: Dec 20, travelling Y, Silver, checkin at the Club desks at T5 with a 26.5kg didn't result in a charge.

The gate agent was a bit funny though, she seemed to suggest she was making an exception based on my card for the overweight bag. If I were BA I'd be spinning this as a positive benefit for their better customers - an extra 9kgs luggage allowance when travelling Y is not to be sniffed at.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 9:34 am

Programs: BA, SQ
Got back from my Chrimbo flying to and from Munich and can report to say not a problem flying CE with two bags at 28kg.
Maybe the huge amount of luggage we had put the checkin staff off the scent. 4 suitcases, snowboard bag, ski bag and ski boots plus a carry on bag.

I told the Mrs we're only going for a week!

Pleased to say the "priority tags" also worked at both ends
Old Dec 31, 2008, 10:50 am
formerly Marwanie

Programs: BA Silver, MH Enrich Gold, BMI
I've yet to see priority tags work at LHR since T5 opened, anyone in the same boat?
Old Dec 31, 2008, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Marwanie
I've yet to see priority tags work at LHR since T5 opened, anyone in the same boat?
I had priority tags on when I returned from the US in October and my bags were 3rd, 4th and 5th on the carousel. I was travelling in CW though.

But, the priority tags don't really do anything. The bar code on the destination baggage tag is what tells the loading staff that you're travelling in a premium cabin and you bags should be loaded accordingly.

So many people leave on old priority tags now that everybody's bag would come up first if we paid attention to that. Everyone wants a priority tag, but if the bar code doesn't confirm you're in a premium cabin than you may as well not have one. We don't even use them at LGW
Old Feb 23, 2009, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Bags up to 32kg will continue to be allowed for First, CW and Gold & Silver card holders, but not their oneword equivalents. All BA staff are aware of the rules now.
Here's a tricky one:- Travelling in F to MEX then onwards internally to MID on Mexicana in Y. There's usually no trouble checking bags through all the way as you can clear customs in MID. I'm hoping to bubble-wrap & take two loudspeakers each weighing 30 kilos...and I'm just wondering what happens when MX see these heavy items - ie. does one's 32k privilege run out of steam at MEX when the bags leave BA for transfer?
Old Feb 23, 2009, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by philco
Here's a tricky one:- Travelling in F to MEX then onwards internally to MID on Mexicana in Y. There's usually no trouble checking bags through all the way as you can clear customs in MID. I'm hoping to bubble-wrap & take two loudspeakers each weighing 30 kilos...and I'm just wondering what happens when MX see these heavy items - ie. does one's 32k privilege run out of steam at MEX when the bags leave BA for transfer?
I always believed that the luggage allowance of the airline you are checking in with first is what counts when interlining bags.Assuming it's all on one ticket that is.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I always believed that the luggage allowance of the airline you are checking in with first is what counts when interlining bags.Assuming it's all on one ticket that is.
True - but the luggage allowance currently states 23kg on the ticket.

I would guess that BA can waive this limit on the outbound, so your bags make it all the way through without additional fees - but on the way back, you're stuck with the 23kg limit per bag. Why on earth don't make 32kg the published limit for C/F passengers if this really is the limit?
Old Feb 27, 2009, 10:46 am

Programs: BA Executive club Gold ,Skywards
Hi anymore news on this , im travelling CE and i know my bag will be over 23kg will i be charged?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.